• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Groundhog season is here (Graphic)

Legba

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2008
Indiana
This week has been good for groundhogs. So far I have managed to shoot four of the buggers. I'm very impressed with the 17HMR.I bought my dad a Mosseberg 817 for christmas and decided to try it out this week.The first two I shot with Federal Premium V-SHOK 17 Grain Hornady V-Max Polymer Tip. The polymer tips made the cleanest kills. The two in the pictures were shot with CCI TNT Explosive Jacketed Hollow Points. These two were taken from around 120yrds. I might have to look into one of these.
100_0686.jpg

100_0685.jpg

100_0684.jpg

Re: Groundhog season is here (Graphic)

ok this may sound stupid but why do yall shoot those? we dont have groundhogs in louisiana. Are they good to eat? what about prairie dogs or are they the same thing with a different name?

No, they're like a prairie dog on steroids, probably a foot to foot and a half tall. I've heard some people eat em but I dont. they are awful fun to hunt. And I guess thats the difference between the two species, a prairie dog is shot, while a marmot(ground hog, rock chuck, wood chuck, whistle pig,ect.) is hunted.

ok but why shoot em if you dont eat em? what harm do they cause? I have no idea about these things, only thing I know about em is if it comes out and sees its shadow then 6 weeks more of winter(heck I may have that backwards)

I grew up shooting groundhogs and I'll shed a little light on them. They make large holes in the ground in which cattle/ horses can step in and break their legs which can then lead to putting down (Euthanizing). They burrow inside of barns and can cause foundation nightmares to it's structural integrity. They can dig some large holes that have been known to break the front ends of tractors when the front wheel falls into their holes. And thats to name a few. If you want to eat them you can be my guest. I have heard some of the older generation hillbillies / contry folk would eat groundhog and some would like it. I think I would prefer deer or beef or chicken
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok but why shoot em if you dont eat em? </div></div>

Because they are there.
grin.gif

And they also dig their dens next to fence post and can cause a fence post to fall over and then letting the cattle / horses out of their fields which can cause some major issues.
SmokeRolls

Farmers would beg hunters to come and clean their groudhogs off their farms......We had access to hundreds of farms when my grandfather was living.... Killed many a groundhog hanging around my grandfather.......He was the man !!!!!!
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up shooting groundhogs and I'll shed a little light on them. They make large holes in the ground in which cattle/ horses can step in and break their legs which can then lead to putting down (Euthanizing). They burrow inside of barns and can cause foundation nightmares to it's structural integrity. They can dig some large holes that have been known to break the front ends of tractors when the front wheel falls into their holes. And thats to name a few. If you want to eat them you can be my guest. I have heard some of the older generation hillbillies / contry folk would eat groundhog and some would like it. I think I would prefer deer or beef or chicken
SmokeRolls </div></div>

Well long as theres a reason behind killing them. I don't agree with just shooting animals for fun. either eat it or dont shoot it, unless they causing problems. I'm from louisiana so I'll be the first to say I'd like to cook that down in a gravy and give it a try. I've eaten alot of crazy critters in my day and so far the only thing I've ever spit out was leg of lamb(I know, sounds crazy) from Texas de Brazil. I'll eat just about anything but soon as I put that junk in my mouth, out it came into a napkin. IDK if it was the way they cooked it or what, but unless I cook it myself, I'll prolly never try it again(unless its free).

Two years ago, at a farm that I hunt groundhogs at, the managers son was mowing the orchard. He hit a good sized groundhog hole and broke off the front wheel of the tractor. When one of the farm hands came walking over to help get it fixed he stepped into a hole and sprained his ankle pretty good. They do a lot of damage to the orchards. The manager always likes to see me out there shooting them. He tells me to "kill them all".

Why do they call them 'varmit guns'??? Because they're for hunting varmits and varmits are fun to hunt...

Great pics I'm hoping to do some P-dog hunting this summer in wyoming!!!

Hey listen.
How about if I impose my lame standards on all of you?
These standards I want to impose on you I learned on Oprah or some other arbitrary F'd up source. Maybe it was MSNBC or CNN or Newsweek magazine!
You don't mind do you?
While I'm doing that I want you to either adhere to my standards or try to explain why you don't. OK?
BTW, I want to impose my standards on you all because I know it is a safe thing to do since you all pretty much mind your own business and don't care to impose your standards on folks like me.
That just leaves you in a defensive situation which makes me feel really smart!
Save the groundhogs!
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey listen.
How about if I impose my lame standards on all of you?
These standards I want to impose on you I learned on Oprah or some other arbitrary F'd up source. Maybe it was MSNBC or CNN or Newsweek magazine!
You don't mind do you?
While I'm doing that I want you to either adhere to my standards or try to explain why you don't. OK?
BTW, I want to impose my standards on you all because I know it is a safe thing to do since you all pretty much mind your own business and don't care to impose your standards on folks like me.
That just leaves you in a defensive situation which makes me feel really smart!
Save the groundhogs!
Thanks!
</div></div>

No its called being responsible and not being the neighborhood bully shooting everything in sight with your BB gun. By your response Im guessing that was you. It is irresponsible to kill harmless creatures just to get your rocks off. Now as I stated before, if they cause a problem and are doing damage as coyotes, wolves, etc. then by all means kill them. And it was explained earlier as to how they cause damage and what not, so I have no problem with it. But to just go out and shoot anything that moves just because its "fun" tells me what kind of person you are. irresponsible and you don't care about our natural resources and the preservation there of. I am very far from a tree hugger. And I mean by a very long shot. but its totally different to just go walking through the woods leaving a trail of carcasses in your path with no intention of using them for anything. the problem is someone put a gun in your hand and said go have fun, they never once bothered to teach you anything about the responsible use of firearms other than make sure its on safety and don't point it at anyone. Its your kind of attitude and mentality that MSNBC and CNN feed on and eventually leads to all the restrictions placed on hunters/gun owners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok but why shoot em if you dont eat em? </div></div>

Because they are there.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Exactly, what more reason do you need?

We usually don't get started on them around here until the beans are coming up. Sadly, the numbers are way down in my immediate area.
We have hunted them so effectively over the past several years that they are getting scarce. While that makes the farmers happy, it bums me out, because it takes away the opportunity to keep shooting skills in tune and to have some fun in the otherwise boring and miserable summers.

I have seen a few this year, but I'm waiting until they have mated and the young are grown enough to be self-sufficient, and for the beans to begin to emerge, before I get started on them. Besides, the little ones are the most fun. Hitting a baseball sized target at 200-300 makes it interesting, and the targets <span style="font-style: italic">react</span> beautifully.
wink.gif

Great pics!
Keep 'em coming!

TW,
groundhogs a natural resource? Wow.
FYI, I've never shot a groundhog. They don't exist in my part of the country, so you're wrong there.
And you pretend to know my background in firearms and hunting? Too bad, wrong again.
I remember when Obama did this when he was campaigning with his "clinging to religion and guns" comment.
What's with you people?
Sadly I don't think being wrong matters to the elitist types like you who don't mind imposing your arbitrary standards on the rest of us.
Hey TW, I've got some ground breaking news for you.
We don't need or want your stinking advice!!
We are not impressed with it.

So, how does it feel to be a groundhog advocate? LOL!
What's next prairie dogs?
I bet you could find some good company in Hollywood!

Maybe you can assist Obama's regulatory czar (Cas Sonstein) and help get these under represented groundhogs a lawyer. You sound just like him!

Pardon me if I'm wrong but you the one that started throwing your opinion out there and trying to stir the pot. And I don't give a crap about ground hogs cuz I don't have them either but obviously you were too busy trying to write your little shot at me to see that. You sir are a typical moron that shouldn't own a gun and from your exact responses, I feel pretty confident that I nailed your gun and hunting ethics right on the head. So just keep filling up your property with dead animals that you have no intentions of doing anything with. I see your type everyday, I live in the capital city of people with your mentality. If it moves let's shoot it cuz it's fun. You aren't an outdoorsman, your an idiot with a gun. An outdoorsman respects the outdoors and helps preserve the lands we've been given

I've already got 10 of em on two days in the fields...tryin to beat my 213 i shot last year.

And no I dont eat them. And yes I love to shoot them.

By the way, PETA can suck it.

We dropped off well over 200 in one summer to a fellow back in the 80's. He ate every one of them.

They ought to kick you out of Louisiana and chunk you over into California
smile.gif

They are incredibly destructive around here. They have made a game out of digging under my woodshed and undermining one of my garage floors. I have gotten two so far this year, one was just shot about fifteen minutes ago.
Some years I get ten or so right up around the house / woodshop. That does not count the ones I get down the old RR right of way. Gotta patrol for them as well.

Pile em high guys, pile em up high

Told ya you'd learn something.
smirk.gif

There is nothing fun about fixing equipment in the field because you drove over a ground hog tunnel. You know, because tractors are so light and the field is always close to the shop.

I am half afraid my International H will fall through the garage floor one of these days due to all the undermining the little pricks have done under the concrete floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Told ya you'd learn something.
smirk.gif
</div></div>
eek.gif
its been hard but im trying
wink.gif

I...have a confession to make. I shoot groundhogs and I don't eat them. But I go after the rogue, man-eating groundhogs. I shoot them with 175s. YOU try eating a groundhog that was just eviscerated by a 175.

I also have a Master's degree which, typically, suggests some level of intelligence. Am I an idiot for shooting groundhogs and then not eating them? Perhaps, but I'm a well-educated idiot, thank you very much.

Oh and by the way, I AM an ethical hunter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I...have a confession to make. I shoot groundhogs and I don't eat them. But I go after the rogue, man-eating groundhogs. I shoot them with 175s. YOU try eating a groundhog that was just eviscerated by a 175.

I also have a Master's degree which, typically, suggests some level of intelligence. Am I an idiot for shooting groundhogs and then not eating them? Perhaps, but I'm a well-educated idiot, thank you very much.

Oh and by the way, I AM an ethical hunter. </div></div>

You sir are not an idiot at all. we have discussed the ground hog situation and I agree shoot them whether your going to try and eat them or not. They are causing lots of problems or have the potential to. but it has been brought beyond ground hogs into lets just shoot anything that we see and its ok because we're having fun. And because I don't agree with this new style of wasteful "hunting", I should move to california and hug a tree evidently.

Just like Clint says " Buzzards gotta eat same as a worm"
The one farm I do hunt the owner is the nicest guy you will meet. His exact words to me were when he gave me permission.
"Kill all those fuckers!!" since then I have had about 30 conversations with him never cussed a single time.

I can see your point and, to an extent, it's valid. To go out and kill just for the sake of killing is...not a good thing. But groundhog hunters are hunters. It's frequently not easy to hit these things from long distances. It's a test of skill. Now, I will concede that I could take a metal pop-up target that I bought from osuarchitect out to the field and accomplish almost the same goal - and a little later in the season I will. But there is something about hunting an animal that tests your skills that target shooting does not. And groundhogs ARE very destructive.

You folks in LA, don't have groundhogs but you do have neutrias. Do you hunt neutrias? What I'm saying is, put yourself in somebody else's shoes. And I think you've asked good questions, made valid points (though somewhat unpopular) and have learned something from it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see your point and, to an extent, it's valid. To go out and kill just for the sake of killing is...not a good thing. But groundhog hunters are hunters. It's frequently not easy to hit these things from long distances. It's a test of skill. Now, I will concede that I could take a metal pop-up target that I bought from osuarchitect out to the field and accomplish almost the same goal - and a little later in the season I will. But there is something about hunting an animal that tests your skills that target shooting does not. And groundhogs ARE very destructive.

You folks in LA, don't have groundhogs but you do have neutrias. Do you hunt neutrias? What I'm saying is, put yourself in somebody else's shoes. And I think you've asked good questions, made valid points (though somewhat unpopular) and have learned something from it all.

</div></div>

AHH, your killing me here. I don't hunt nutrias, but I most certainly would if given the chance(I would eat them, but thats not the point here). Now I will say this one more time and thats it, Go kill all the ground hogs your heart desires. It doesn't bother me at all. but like you said killing for the sake of killing is not a good thing, and thats the ONLY thing I'm saying on any of it.

That was my 22-250,but I ussually use the bigger stuff, 300RUM and 338Edge. Makes for better Visuals.
338Edge with 300gr SMK
Guts-1.jpg

300RUM
526ydswith300RUM.jpg

I think most groundhog hunters just love being in the field. Last Wed I was out I seen 5 deer, I had no desire to just shoot the deer and leave them lay, I watched them bed down for 2hrs right at 381yds away. I snoooooozed, got up ate a sandwich, glassed, plucked one of those bastards at 445yds, whent back to the snoozing, got up ate some MM's, snooooozed, got up glassed plucked one at 330yds, watched some deer, snoooooooooooooooozed, then left. I will make a deal to anyone thinking it is wrong to just shoot them. You send me an e-mail/w a video of you eating a rat, and I will MAC DADDY on the next buck-toothed bastard I shoot

TW,

You were right to call me sir.
All the rest is B.S.
At least there is some improvement.
Keep trying as you say.
Maybe someday...
Big maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TW,

You were right to call me sir.
All the rest is B.S.
At least there is some improvement.
Keep trying as you say.
Maybe someday...
Big maybe.

</div></div>

Once again, you have no clue. What we were talking about has no reference to anything on this thread. so keep thinking your awesome

Here's a typical groundhog hole. Those shooting sticks are the Stoney Point sticks that come up to my waist in length. I have video last summer of the same shooting sticks disappearing in a hole that was totally concealed by grass. With the price of beef cattle now a days, you don't want them stepping into that tube. BTW, Trey, thanks for asking why we shoot them before making a conclusion. It is the uneducated that preach on what they don't understand that makes it hard on us hunters. I applaud your efforts to understand.
PICT0087-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a typical groundhog hole. Those shooting sticks are the Stoney Point sticks that come up to my waist in length. I have video last summer of the same shooting sticks disappearing in a hole that was totally concealed by grass. With the price of beef cattle now a days, you don't want them stepping into that tube. BTW, Trey, thanks for asking why we shoot them before making a conclusion. It is the uneducated that preach on what they don't understand that makes it hard on us hunters. I applaud your efforts to understand.
PICT0087-1.jpg
</div></div>

And a great thanks to you Arcorey. That is all I was trying to do. I didn't come on here to stir no pot and everything else thats been said; if I was I would have said yall shouldn't shoot those if you aren't going to eat them. I never said that once. I asked why you would shoot em if you dont eat them. and several people, you included, have been more than helpful with providing info. And thank you guys for your help. I have learned about groundhogs and repercussions of their presence. Thanks again to the HELPFUL responses

it is nice to see that their are still some open minded logical individuals. most people with these abilities will be pro-varmint hunting after somebody talks to them about what all of these little pests do. I shoot both ground squirrels and p-dogs and the farmers are all very thankful for saving some of their crops. The bonus is that it is very good shooting practice, probably one of the best what else can you get multiple small moving targets from long range multiple shooting positions.

we need more people like you on this site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is nice to see that their are still some open minded logical individuals. most people with these abilities will be pro-varmint hunting after somebody talks to them about what all of these little pests do. I shoot both ground squirrels and p-dogs and the farmers are all very thankful for saving some of their crops. The bonus is that it is very good shooting practice, probably one of the best what else can you get multiple small moving targets from long range multiple shooting positions.

we need more people like you on this site. </div></div>

Oh heck yea, I'd go right now if given the opportunity. No promise on how many I'd hit but I'd definitely like to do it. Im just not up for goin and shooting any animal just for fun. but as long as I can eat em or help reduce damage that they are causing, Im all in.

Even better then his is most of the farmers will give you permission to hunt deer in the fall/ winter also along with turkey, coyote, dove. Its a win win for everone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is nice to see that their are still some open minded logical individuals. most people with these abilities will be pro-varmint hunting after somebody talks to them about what all of these little pests do. I shoot both ground squirrels and p-dogs and the farmers are all very thankful for saving some of their crops. The bonus is that it is very good shooting practice, probably one of the best what else can you get multiple small moving targets from long range multiple shooting positions.

we need more people like you on this site. </div></div>

Oh heck yea, I'd go right now if given the opportunity. No promise on how many I'd hit but I'd definitely like to do it. Im just not up for goin and shooting any animal just for fun. but as long as I can eat em or help reduce damage that they are causing, Im all in.</div></div>