• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Group help please

jhedg

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
Here are the specs of the rifle Rem 700 30-06 in a AICS 22.5" barrel, fatbastard brake Timmeny trigger, badger rings, Farrel Base. Scope is a Burris 4-16x50 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope. Load is 60gr RE22/208 AMAX OAL 3.47 here is last weeks 5 shot load development
20860r22.jpg

Was going to do my drop testing today so I went to get a good 100yd zero. first two rounds just about through the same hole, next one 1 1/2" up and to the right, so I said shit I must of pulled it. Next shot 1 3/4" up and to the left of the first two shots, next shot 1" low of the first two WTF!! so I take off scope check all basses screws stock torque every thing that needs to be torqued is torqued right. shoot another 5 round group same thing all over. So I put it away, and go and shoot my SPR .50 moa 5 shot group, so I am thinking ok it must not be me. Go back to shoot another 5 round group with the AICS, same thing all over. Why the change from the group above, and the first two shots today, to craziness.

Re: Group help please

Try a different scope, all I can think of, I don't know much about the AICS stocks, is it able to be glass bedded? Wouldn't make 1.5 inches of difference normally though.

How many 5 shot groups at that size did you do? It is entirely possible it was a fluke if it was just one group.

Still, try a different scope and see what happens

Chris

It certainly could be the scope but with some loads there is a very narrow "sweet spot." A change in temperature could make a difference in how the load shoots but, I have to say, I haven't had that problem in my 7mm Rem. Mag. which uses RL-22 so I would favor a scope problem.

Well, I don't know as I can really help you but I have had something similar happen with a .300WM I have. I had a load that I shot a 5 shot group of .3" at 100yds and then the next time I shot the gun that load wouldn't shoot better than MOA or just over. Doesn't make a lot of sense but I'm thinking that these really tight groups are just flukes. I was so excited to have possibly found my load for the gun and then the next time out It didn't even come close...

BTW I was shooting: WCC brass with a Rem 9 1/2M primer filled with 78.0gr of Ramshot Magnum powder and topped off with a 208gr A-Max bullet.

Thanks for the input, I think I will try changing scopes first, because I was also having the same issue with a load that has been pretty stable for me. thanks keep it coming.