• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Group Shots Revisited

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, I have to revisit the posting rules for Sniper's Hide specifically regarding 3 shot groups.

I know early on I said we can do 3 shot groups if they are beyond 100 yards, but I am gonna call myself out on this and change the rules.

From this day forward I am deleting any 3 shot groups period, and especially any groups that are groups within a group.

So here are the revised rules for posting groups on Sniper's Hide.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
    1. You must show the Entire target unedited.

2. Inside 300 yards you must post at least (5) 5 shot groups that can be identified on target or you may post (1) 10 shot group for record.

3. Anything beyond 300 yards a minimum of 5 shots is required, also please adhere to rule #1.

4. The group shot rules can be bypassed only with a target using 10 or more 1/2" dots with one individual round on each dot for a minimum of 10 shots.

5. Shots on steel can only be used for demonstration purposes and not as part of an exhibition of group shooting. These images must be in conjunction with rifles, optics, etc... they cannot be standalone.

6. Groups shots must be within 2 MOA of the aiming point, otherwise I consider the shots a miss.
    </span>

This is my effort to help everyone strive to be a better shooter and to shun mediocrity. At Sniper's Hide we want to set the standard of what shooting good groups means, and we encourage those who are practicing to display their groups especially if you are working on improving your skills.

Any group currently posted on the site will be grandfathered in, however moving forward I ask the membership to be vigilant in enforcing the group shot rules and regulations. I think you'll thank me in the long run and we'll help raise the bar for everyone.

Re: Group Shots Revisited

I have one question For the five shot groups on the offical target, I'm buying box ammo with 20 rounds for testing. I'm guessing 4 five shot groups will be "OK". Otherwise I like it, time to put up or shut up. Thanks

Here is my results of a litte prone match at the local range, 9/28/08.

We shoot 4 bulls, 5 shots each for a possible 200PTS. Small ring is the X. This is shot at 100yrds, prone, bipod, and NO artificial rear support- only your hand. No sling support as well. 30minutes to shoot. Mine was the winner, and highest ever score for the match. 200 13x. Shot with a 223 AI, 3.5x15x50 R1 NXS. The targets are 50yrd Small Bore Rifle Targets.
    M40A3009.jpg

M40A3008.jpg

I think your shooting game with the 50 yard SB targets at 100 yards is very meaningful. It's a great way to square any basic prone marksmanship issues before LR competition, no matter what LR division.

Id like to see no more 100 yard groups period. 100 yards is just to damn close for any type of rifle. Especially long range precision rifles. I think groups should start around at least 300 yards, But thats just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your shooting game with the 50 yard SB targets at 100 yards is very meaningful. It's a great way to square any basic prone marksmanship issues before LR competition, no matter what LR division. </div></div>

I think so as well. It was the brainchild of a few local high power shooters, and Geoff Corn. Since we are limited to 100YRDs at the local range, this seemed like the best setup.

i disagree. the only targets that should be aloud at 100 yards would be 22 lr. we all know how hard that is to keep em tight

Shooting competitively at 100 yards on reduced course targets demands extremely good marksmanship skills. And, usually, for winning scores at 100 yards, a magnificent rifle, as well as really good ammunition, in addition to good marksmanship, will be necessary to get the job done.

Also, shooting on something like the MR-31 at 100 yards will reveal marksmanship deficiencies which will be masked at greater distances due to ammunition and environmental inconsistencies becoming contributors to poor results.

Here is my most recent effort at 525 yards. I really would have liked to crop the flyer off. My .850 group turned into a 3.5" group because I rushed the forth shot. I am still learning. But 3 in the same hole at 525 ain't bad?
    Rob
    IMAGE_019.jpg

I shot this target this morning. It really is fun. My bro was there timing me. I only had 5 seconds per shot. It was pretty fun. I am improving everytime I get to the range and hopefully soon all the shots will be hitting the dot!
    000_0109.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot this target this morning. It really is fun. My bro was there timing me. I only had 5 seconds per shot. It was pretty fun. I am improving everytime I get to the range and hopefully soon all the shots will be hitting the dot!
    000_0109.jpg
    </div></div>

I don't think Frank meant it to be a speed drill.

Supersubes,
    Yes you are right but my brother wanted to bust my balls. We always try and out do eachother and since I had been outshooting him on this particular day he put the time stipulation on my shooting the target.

For better results, you might want to consider refining your zero. Of course, that's assuming your shot calls had some sort of relationship to bullet strikes.

Sterling,
    You are absolutely right. Thanks for the advice. I had just mounted up the scope. It is a SuperSniper 16x and it is the first day I had it so I got a decent zero and decided to have some fun. I'll refine the zero and my technique and see what I can pull of in the future!

I never rely on a 3 shot group. the 4th and 5th always open it up so don't want to delude myself at he range like I do in almost all other areas of my life