• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grouping question.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Been learning my new Remington 700 PCR 6.5 CM. I'm getting sub MOA at 100, actually around 3/4 moa, but at 200 a 5 shot group a nickel will cover and still under an inch at 300. Havent gotten past 300 yet but wondering Is it normal for groups to vary like that on LR shooting,. Should that continue out to 1000 and beyond.

Thats with factory American Gunner, which out of 7 factory variants I tried shoots better than any except Federal GMM and only a hair below and at a much better price.

How many shots per group? IMHO anything under 10 isn't really representative. I can shoot 3 3-shot groups at three targets and get three great groups. Overlay the targets so the aim point overlaps and the combined group is much larger.

There is a reason circular error probable is the gold standard for measuring groups when you have a hard requirement to meet.

Reactions: Maggot
    How many shots per group? IMHO anything under 10 isn't really representative. I can shoot 3 3-shot groups at three targets and get three great groups. Overlay the targets so the aim point overlaps and the combined group is much larger.

There is a reason circular error probable is the gold standard for measuring groups when you have a hard requirement to meet.
    5 shot groups.

I'll try it again with 10.

I really need to get some longer shots to see whats happening.