• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Groups at longer range

bth87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Just for curiosity's sake I was wondering what the more experienced shooters expect for groups on paper at say 500 meters. I see tons of really tiny groups shot at 100 and 200 meters which is all well and good, but I feel its difficult to judge ones proficiency at such short range as wind and other variables are not as influential at these ranges. Any insight is as always appreciated.
Ben

Re: Groups at longer range

My load test at 500y w/ .308 scenars, dots are 3" groups are 5 rounds each.

PICT0001c.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for curiosity's sake I was wondering what the more experienced shooters expect for groups on paper at say 500 meters. I see tons of really tiny groups shot at 100 and 200 meters which is all well and good, but I feel its difficult to judge ones proficiency at such short range as wind and other variables are not as influential at these ranges. Any insight is as always appreciated.
Ben </div></div>

What I expect is all bullets to go into the first bullet hole on any target at any distance. Since, I do not typically get what I expect, even though I'm applying the principles of marksmanship, I will analyze the shot call/strike to better understand why I did not know exactly where the rifle was pointed. You can look at world records for an understanding of what is possible from a really good shooter, which may inspire you appreciate what's been possible so far.

Sterling shooter- a very wise statement I guess I should have rephrased my question as being what you would find as acceptable groups at the aforementioned range?

Niles, mid left centre target... hell yea !

Shame about that flier otherwise that would be a fantastic group worth framing

Curious to see what others post up

Thats sweeet dude

Nice setup with the gong! I would like to build something like this one day