• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Grovtec Flush Cup Install

BearNaked

Beer Saved The World
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Texas
I am going to try my hand at installing a Grovtec Flush Cup into a B&C stock this afternoon. I cannot find a tap anywhere in san Antonio that has a 9/16" tap.

My question is, can I use the threads on the cup itself to tap into the stock? I know it is not professional but will it work? I will be putting epoxy on it to hold it in place once installed.

otherwise, ill be waiting on one from the world wide web.

I was in your shoes about 3 weeks ago. No, you really can't use the cup to thread the hole (I tried) it wants to wander and chip and push out and crack the layed up portion of the stock. You really need the tap to CUT threads rather than displace the material.

I ordered on Amazon for $18 and had it the next day

Reactions: BearNaked
10-4. thanks for the help.

I will just add it to my "tools only used once" collection which is bigger than my everyday collection. haha.

I have done two. The first I did not tap. It was a Boyd's wood laminate, I drilled first, and threaded the cup in. Worked good, holds great, chipped a little wood in a couple places. The second, I purchased the tap, and used it on a B&C stock with epoxy. Rear of the stock is mostly hollow, but the epoxy bit in quite well. 13lb rifle with 26" tube, carried in any manner, has held for a year so far

I bought two taps at the local hardware store for $7.00 each. Cut the tapered portion offa one to make it a bottom tap. I run the regular tap in, and finished cutting the threads to the bottom of the hole with the bottom tap.

20180920_185347.jpg

Just got done with my first DIY flush cup install in a Manners. Used the appropriate tap , a little Dremel action and epoxy . Works great for me.

well Napa Autoparts came through in the clutch and I picked up the tap this morning.

here is the finished product. super easy. Just need to epoxy it tonight and then let it set and done.

1538159190337.png

I just installed some in my manners T4. The install was easy, it took 15 minutes.

The front hole was solid. They used glass reinforced epoxy as the infill, so i was able to drill the hole and tap it all the way to the bottom. The epoxied-in front flushcup should be strong as a dose of the Phillipino Clap!

In the rear, the outer shell was about 1/8 inch thick, and the infill was really soft foam. I drilled the hole, and tapped the shell portion, which ended up with about 1-1/2 threads. I dug out some of the foam and filled the hole with epoxy before threading the flush cup in.

The rear won't be nearly as strong as the front. Hopefully itll be strong enough!

Reactions: BearNaked
I installed several. Several guns, both sides of stocks. I used a regular tap. Before applying epoxy, be sure to check that your swivels will swivel. You may have to cut away stock material to make room.