• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Growing newer shooters

Timetoshoot

Bullet driver
Minuteman
May 7, 2013
Carbondale
I shoot a lot of local matches, unfortunately the most convenient local match is mostly a belly match and small targets. I got into long range shooting to improve marksmanship skills for practical purposes of hunting and using the rifle as a tool When needed. I shot a few larger field matches enjoy Frank’s perspective that a match should be a validation of skills learned through training.

With that in mind I shot the recent Mile High shoot out in Craig Colorado . The inexpensive train up offered ahead of time with Mike and Adam was awesome. Good simple feedback that was appropriate before a match. I was squatted with several shooters less experienced in larger matches like myself, and several mid pack shooters trying to climb the ladder. We followed several top-tier squads due to A back upin the flow on Saturday I had the opportunity to watch three squads shoot most of the stages on Saturday.

Some observations and thoughts
  • Appreciated the mix of PRS and feild type stages
  • all of the better shooters were supportive towards newer shooters
  • I had some major equipment issues on Saturday and several offers of loaner equipment to help me out
  • There are several other similar stories including factory reps who supplied rifles and ammo for people who had equipment problems
  • It was amazing to see top-tier shooters invite newer shooters to the price table to help them pick something they needed
  • Offering a rifle build to deserving newer shooter was a classy move and speaks volumes to keeping your new shooters involved, As was giving a rifle and a scope to mid pack shooters.
  • I think it would be awesome to see rifle training instructors and schools offer full ride tuation for training classes to shooters from the bottom of the finish order, this would also help newer shooters along.
  • I agree with Frank’s observations on prize tables.
  • As someone who deals with sponsored competitive events in other fields I understand how deluted this can get for sponsors.
  • That said, as a shooter who was bottom third it was great to walk to the prize table and see a certificate for something I needed at a deep discount.
  • Truing AB by changing my BC and using the BC wind method my dope was spot on to 1400 yards when I wasn’t having equipment issues.
  • I watched 28 shooters on two different stages, I was amazed at the lack of good marksmanship skills. I saw two shooters with follow-through on the trigger. Everyone else was slapping the trigger and Finger flying off long before the recoils pulse was over.
  • It was amazing to see the teamwork and creativity to build good positions

Last edited: