• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GRS Hybrid stock- suitable for long range bolt action shooting?

BroncoMustang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
I am waiting for my American Rifle Company Nucleus action to arrive and in the meantime am thinking about what rifle stock to use for this build. I already have a Bartlein 29 inch heavy barrel for it (that I got from BugsHoles.com). I plan on shooting .308 and using it mostly for benchrest shooting with some prone shooting as well. I plan on shooting at least out to 600 yards, but hope to get out as far as 1,000 yards. I have plenty of Lapua brass and a few hundred Lapua scenar bullets to go with Varget powder and Federal 210M primers. I have read a little bit about the GRS Hybrid rifle stock which appears to be lighter than the X Eater and 1 mm longer (but other than these two differences I haven't noticed any others).
Not knowing a lot about the GRS Hybrid or X Eater, I was hoping to learn from someone on the Hide as to the suitability for long range benchrest shooting, primarily for the Hybrid, but also the X Eater. What are your thoughts about them? Do you think that they would work well in these situations? Thanks.

Upon doing some research I learned that these would require a glass bedding (which ˆhave never done) and buying the bottom metal piece, which would put the final cost well over $1,000, so now I am exploring the Boyd's At One rifle stock (which also would require bedding).

I have had a GRS Bolthorn chassis and several friends have or have used their laminate stocks at one time or another. I have come to dislike them, with their freakishly long LOP and huge off center pistolgrips. I have seen more than one with cracks in the tang area, both bedded and not bedded stocks.
I think you are doing the right thing to look elsewhere.

I have had a GRS Bolthorn chassis and several friends have or have used their laminate stocks at one time or another. I have come to dislike them, with their freakishly long LOP and huge off center pistolgrips. I have seen more than one with cracks in the tang area, both bedded and not bedded stocks.
I think you are doing the right thing to look elsewhere.
I really appreciate the information.