• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GSG 1911 .22lr

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Guys I just picked one up and was pleasantly surprised. It's a full size dedicated 22lr. Looks and feels like a 45. It came with 3 front sights(it hits at point of aim@25yds) so don't need the extras. Rear sight is drift adjustable. They say it has 80% parts interchange ability. But it already looks like a custom. Trigger is great. Finish is awesome. At $325(with shipping and tax) it was hard to pass up. So far I have 380rds through it with no issues.

Re: GSG 1911 .22lr

Yes, looks to be a nice gun. Looked at those for a while, but since I have two 1911 framed guns, I opted for the Kimber conversion... that's working great for me. Something to be said for a dedicated trainer... nice choice. My brother will be going the GSG route.

congrats. I love mine and I hope you love yours too. Mine really loves federal bulk not because I'm cheap and that's all i buy but that is truely what shoots best in mine. I've tried cci blazers, reminton target, remingon sub sonic, wolf, eley, nothing fires as good as the federal or as accurate. Here is a Video I made incase you need help tearing it down(all the way to the trigger being out) I have polished my trigger, hammer and barrel and it looks sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lynhAOCAU

Yup, tall factory sights. It's a great suppressor host!

I have one and I actually assembled my own little compensator for it.

I outfit mine with the thread adapter and a YHM comp.
http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=117

It works like a dream and there is virtually no muzzle rise. Have to shoot Blazer ammo if I am using that comp, but otherwise I can use Federal bulk as well.

1029111937a.jpg

Ya and with the accessories available for 1911s, you can do a whole lot with it. My next thing is going to be the Leupold Delta Point Reflex to go in that rear dovetail and shoot some rimfire matches with it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I just picked one up and was pleasantly surprised. It's a full size dedicated 22lr. Looks and feels like a 45. It came with 3 front sights(it hits at point of aim@25yds) so don't need the extras. Rear sight is drift adjustable. They say it has 80% parts interchange ability. But it already looks like a custom. Trigger is great. Finish is awesome. At $325(with shipping and tax) it was hard to pass up. So far I have 380rds through it with no issues. </div></div>

Here is the list of part interchangeability between the GSG and a true 1911. Hope this helps and have fun!
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=283805

Nice piece! Which one of YHM's adapters with that compensator?
Thanks

Just looking at one of these the other day and if my gunsmith just didn't give me the okey doke on fitting a Tactical Solutions upper to my new STI, I'd have got this as a practice gun. Frankly, still might.

Been waiting to see how similar the trigger parts were to a standard 1911.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cited In</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice piece! Which one of YHM's adapters with that compensator?
Thanks </div></div>

I actually didn't use a YHM adapter, I got this one:
http://www.tacticalinc.com/1911-22lr-thread-adapterbr-with-thread-protector-p-1479.html

Its threaded 1/2x28 so it fits that YHM comp great. When I first got them and put it together the comp was not vertical haha didn't think about that when I ordered them. I fixed that with a little rubber O-ring and now it is perfect... kind of got lucky that it worked out that way.

Cheech: Did you have to do any fitting work to get the grips to fit properly? I thought I had heard something about the mounting screws being the wrong size...Thanks...

Steve

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a holster for the GSG 1911? I am leaning toward a military style holster, being a WWII history nut...Just wondering if anyone has found any really unique holsters? Thanks,

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LTCSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheech: Did you have to do any fitting work to get the grips to fit properly? I thought I had heard something about the mounting screws being the wrong size...Thanks...

Steve </div></div>

I for one didn't have any problems with the grips fitting... its not that the screws are the wrong <span style="font-style: italic">size</span>, they are just a metric thread. You can easily switch that out with some American made 1911 bushings.

Is it necessary to replace the bushings, or will the regular 1911 grips work with the GSG screws? Thanks again,

Steve

What do you guys think of the accuracy of these? I'm looking to buy a .22 LR for target shooting only (not as a trainer for a larger caliber) and would like to buy the most accurate handgun possible in this price range. Would I be better off with a NEOS or Browning Buckmark? I've been eyeing an older High Standard Sport King as well.

Where did you get the rail for it and how does it mount?

Where do you get the adapters to run the can on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. Just put some new grips on it. Checkered and polished American Bison bone.

DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now suppress it! I love mine!</div></div>

+1. Love mine especially suppressed!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LTCSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it necessary to replace the bushings, or will the regular 1911 grips work with the GSG screws? Thanks again,

Steve</div></div>

Oh yeah regular 1911 grips just screw right out with no modifcation. Its just if you wanted to put on like hex screws or torx screws you would need to change the bushings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think of the accuracy of these? I'm looking to buy a .22 LR for target shooting only (not as a trainer for a larger caliber) and would like to buy the most accurate handgun possible in this price range. Would I be better off with a NEOS or Browning Buckmark? I've been eyeing an older High Standard Sport King as well.</div></div>

Lennyo: If you want the most accurate .22 you can buy, get a Ruger MKII or MKIII.

The accuracy is <span style="font-style: italic">pretty</span> good with the GSG, but the problem I have is that it comes factory with non-adjustable sights, only three different front sight posts. For me, the middle size hits too high and the tallest post hits too low.

You could buy aftermarket 1911 sights and they should slide right in, but even so the accuracy is still not quite up to that of a ruger. My MKIII with a Tactical Solutions PACLITE upper with a red dot <span style="font-weight: bold">KILLS</span> my GSG in accuracy.

Oh, forgot to add... I used to have a NEOS, but I got rid of it. The accuracy was actually pretty decent, just didn't like it that much. Have never actually shot a Buckmark but I have shot a S&W 22A. Those are pretty accurate too.

So my final .02 is that while my Ruger is more accurate, my GSG is my favorite. There are more options to customize it and make it as accurate as you want with optics and whatnot. More fun to shoot and cleaning is WAYYYYY easier to clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get the rail for it and how does it mount?

Where do you get the adapters to run the can on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. Just put some new grips on it. Checkered and polished American Bison bone.

DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

</div></div> </div></div>

The rail was installed, with screws, at the factory as well, the barrel is threaded 9mm.80 metric threads. Here's a link for an addapter if you need one.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/1911-22lr-thread-adapterbr-with-thread-protector-p-1479.html

It is very accurate.

As for the grips, the only thing I had to do was extend the relief down for the ambi safety lever on the right side. They went right on without having to do anything to the holes, screws or added bushings.

I have one, and almost 1500 rounds through it so far. Love it!

Changed the grips to some VZGrips, and also replaced a recoil spring guide rod that broke (known issue, $15 aftermarket part if you don't want to fiddle with warrenty) and tossed a wilson magwell on it. Also some CW Alum mag bases. Thing has seen all rounds shot subsonic.

6329642948_60dd7a2a1b_b.jpg

Onyx

I have been looking at these and every person I talk to really likes them. Thanks Futurerider and Desert Deputy for posting the video and link. Now I know what parts can be changed out like the main spring housing for a flat one, Ill be picking one up Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I just picked one up and was pleasantly surprised. It's a full size dedicated 22lr. Looks and feels like a 45. It came with 3 front sights(it hits at point of aim@25yds) so don't need the extras. Rear sight is drift adjustable. They say it has 80% parts interchange ability. But it already looks like a custom. Trigger is great. Finish is awesome. At $325(with shipping and tax) it was hard to pass up. So far I have 380rds through it with no issues. </div></div>That is a nice .22/1911 right there. Does it weigh about the same as a 1911? Also, are they made in Germany? Hope it runs great for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert Deputy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, forgot to add... I used to have a NEOS, but I got rid of it. The accuracy was actually pretty decent, just didn't like it that much. Have never actually shot a Buckmark but I have shot a S&W 22A. Those are pretty accurate too.

So my final .02 is that while my Ruger is more accurate, my GSG is my favorite. There are more options to customize it and make it as accurate as you want with optics and whatnot. More fun to shoot and cleaning is WAYYYYY easier to clean. </div></div>Yeah, I get frustrated as hell putting my Mk II back together!
cry.gif

Do these pistols have all the bugs out of them yet? Broken firing pins are the latest problem I guess.

The only bug I ever knew of with these guns was the barrel bushing was apparently flying out. When I bought mine the dealer told me to call them and ask for a replacement. When I called, they told me they had fixed the problem on all new guns coming off the line. Using a magnet (as they advised) I found out mine was the new steel bushing and that was that.

I haven't heard of any firing pin issues. If the company is aware of the issue, it sure seemed to me that they get on it right away.

The only other issue I have ever had with it ended up being an ammo issue (don't shoot bulk winchesters through it or it misfeeds terribly haha).

The grip safety, a problem many of them have.
The tab on many have just a little too much meat on the bottom of it, and if not pressed in 101% of the way, and the trigger comes back it pushes on the tab and in turn the grip safety and pushes in the shooter's hand.
Some are soo bad that once the trigger gets under it, it wont return unless additional pressure is placed on the grip safety, over and above the original pressure when the trigger was pulled.

Sometimes the top of the grip safety has a sharp point and hits the hammer coming back or breaks off.

Safetys have broken off

Grip safety can alter sight picture.

poor bluing.

These are a few problems with a quick search on the net.

I just bought a GSG 1911 today with tack rail and barrel extension / fake can. 1 it has a metal barrel bushing verified by magnet, 2 the arched mainspring must go. I have big hands and the arched mainspring creates a problem getting the proper grip with the safety. So I will be ordering a flat mainspring housing from Midway and if need be another grip safety. Those are two of the many pieces that are can be changed and use standard 1911 parts as per ATI. The trigger aint bad but will wait to shoot a hundred or so rounds through it before polishing it. No burs or flaws in the casting. If the blueing is an issue a dura coat job will fix the problem. Its a 22 trainer as long as it puts rounds down range with a degree of accuracy and by the way the manual states to use high velocity ammo, I am ok with it.

I bought it at my local gun store. I put 200 rnds through it and it functoned flawlessly.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-22.aspx

sig sauer makes one as well. its actually the exact same one with sig's name on it. The owners of the two companies are brothers.

Only reason I would get a Sig one is they have them available with OD green and dark earth finishes with better grips for not that much more.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-22lr-flat-dark-earth.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-22lr-olive-drab.aspx

Regards,
_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how the Sig stacks up head to head with the GSG </div></div>

I dont know if you were trying to be funny, but they are the exact same pistol, made in the same factory, just different markings. At least as I understand it.

If you were trying to be funny, nicely played.

_DT

I do want to mention mine has over 5k rounds through it and it never has problems and is still crazy accurate. I did have a metal barrel bushing when I got it and replaced my guide rod spring with a full length stainless steel one and still no probs at all. Mine does't even have the finish worn off or a bur on the slide catch. Maybe I'm just lucky. I do take it all apart and clean it after every shooting all the way down to an empty frame and slide to make sure everything is in working order though. Sooo needless to say I'm still impressed by my little gun

I have two of these still NIB and not really sure why I haven't got around to shooting them yet.. I think from most of the reviews they stack up pretty well for the dollar..

Makes for a cheap way to fondle a 1911 and do it cheaply
smile.gif

dave