• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GSG 1911

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
Anyone have one?
I'm getting my first suppressor in the next 4-6 months, (if the ATF is not super slow with the paperwork) and was trying to decide between a Ruger MK II/III or a Browning Buckmark to put it on.

I had it narrowed down to this.. <a href="http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BR051-464490&mfg=Browning&family=Buck%20Mark%20Series&model=Buck%20Mark%20Camper%20Threaded&type=Semi-Auto%20Pistol&caliber=22%20LR&action=Single%20Action&finish=Matte%20Black&stock=Black%20Plastic" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[/url]

and this.. </a>

Then I came across the GSG 1911, and read some pretty good reviews about it. I have a Kimber Eclipse Target II, so I thought it might be good to have a similar .22 1911 rather than something with a completely different feel, like the ruger or browning. Accuracy and reliability are the two most important things for this gun to have.

What would you guys pick and why?

Re: GSG 1911

So far, i love my GSG 1911.

I havent done anything to the gun when i got it, except replace the grips (I dislike wood), add a SilencerCo Sparrow adapter (they sell them now), and I removed the mag safety device.

I havent cleaned or lubed the gun for 2500 rounds now, with more than half being suppressed.

No FTF/FTE's, and checking the brass, i see consistent hard rim strikes (good for a 22lr). I've ran shitty Rem golden-bullet, various subsonics, Winchester bulk pack, federal bulk pack, aguila, eley, lapua, RWS, SK, Wolf, Fiocchi, and CCI through it without hiccup. I've literally tried every 22lr ammunition i could find, and havent had issues.

The only round that wont cycle, are CB shorts, and Aquila Super-Colibri (primer fired) They only propel their projectile at a couple hundred feet per second, so its pretty much impossible to get that to cycle

The action felt a little gritty at the start, since it hadnt ever been shot, but now its smooth as butter (damn near racegun slickness)

The thing I love most about hte gun so far, is how well put together it is. There isnt any slop, or play in this gun. You can tell it was machined really well, especially looking at the frame rails it rides on.

The gun itself retains 80% comonality with aftermarket 1911 parts, and it really was made to the same spec as a nice 1911. its frame is steel, and the slide is a higher-end alloy. (definately not the shitty *chiappa-alloy*)

I'm not a great shot with pistols, but i let a USPCA range officer take a whack at it. He was hitting a 10" plate at 100yds fairly easily, which im entirely jealous of. (Seriously, every time i pick up a pistol i develop some bizarre form of palsy.)

Anyway, for the money, its machined and build as good, if not better than a 1911 conversion. Its full size, has the heft of a full size, and it feels and points like a normal 1911. When it comes to 22lr pistols, i try to buy one based on what i will carry/shoot. I dont carry or shoot a Luger, so the buckmark and Ruger pistols were completely out of the running.

Its also a great pistol suppressed too. With my Sparrow attached, the gun makes me feel a little hitman-esque. It runs great, has been super reliable, GSG would bend backwards to help their customer, and unless you look at the barrel, you wouldnt be able to tell it wasnt 45acp.

This is one of the best deals going for a 22lr pistol, and every time I make a range trip, i always get a ton of questions, followed by where to buy. My local store, Impact Guns, had 6 of them come in stock. All 6 sold within a couple days...

IMG_20101009_110450.jpg

IMG_20101009_110341.jpg

IMG_20101009_110720.jpg

IMG_20101009_110307.jpg

(sorry for the ill quality pics. Im not exactly going to take precision photography equipment to a gun range)

Also, if anyone want to give me shit about the paintball grips, Firstly, they are ridiculously comfy. Second, go pound sand.

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed response. Really leaning toward the GSG now.. if I can find one.

Did you have to change out the bushings/screws for your grips? I know they are metric and smaller than standard. I'm wanting to put a set of G-10 "golf ball" pattern on mine. Already have the 1/2 28 adapter for my cans. I'm putting a different main spring housing on it too. Looking at a checkered or snakeskin from Ed Brown...possibly with the mag well.

As a side note, Urmarex will be bringing in some 1911/22's under Colts name next month. They look VERY sweet!
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have to change out the bushings/screws for your grips? I know they are metric and smaller than standard. I'm wanting to put a set of G-10 "golf ball" pattern on mine. Already have the 1/2 28 adapter for my cans. I'm putting a different main spring on it too. Looking at a checkered or snakeskin from Ed Brown...possibly with the mag well.

<span style="color: #FF0000">As a side note, Urmarex will be bringing in some 1911/22's under Colts name next month. They look VERY sweet!</span>
Steve </div></div>

So they can suck as bad as the AR's that they made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have to change out the bushings/screws for your grips? I know they are metric and smaller than standard. I'm wanting to put a set of G-10 "golf ball" pattern on mine. Already have the 1/2 28 adapter for my cans. I'm putting a different main spring on it too. Looking at a checkered or snakeskin from Ed Brown...possibly with the mag well.

As a side note, Urmarex will be bringing in some 1911/22's under Colts name next month. They look VERY sweet!
Steve </div></div>

What thread adapter did you use? I'm gonna need one of those.

got to shoot one last week and I was impressed with the fit and finish of the gun, we experienced a few FTF/FTE issues but we were shooting some old cheap ammo I think it was remington. didnt get to make it to the winchester that we got at walmart. I am thinking that our problems were ammo related.. but all in all it is/was a blast to shoot.. 1911 look and feel without the high ammo cost..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have to change out the bushings/screws for your grips? I know they are metric and smaller than standard. I'm wanting to put a set of G-10 "golf ball" pattern on mine. Already have the 1/2 28 adapter for my cans. I'm putting a different main spring on it too. Looking at a checkered or snakeskin from Ed Brown...possibly with the mag well.

Steve </div></div>

What thread adapter did you use? I'm gonna need one of those. </div></div>

Gemtech. they're 45.00 Silencerco has them too.
Steve

From Chris at ATI....

GSG 1911 Interchangeable parts with .45 Mil-Spec 1911:

Barrel Bushing
Front & Rear Site
Hammer
Trigger
Grip Safety
the Whole Main Spring Housing
Thumb Safety
Sear
Disconnector
Sear Spring
Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
Mag Release
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Plunger Tube
Plunger Spring