• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Guard screw spacing on 600 and Model 7

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
Wondering if anyone had the measurement for the guard screw spacing on a 600/660 and a Model 7. I was thinking they were the same! Am I all wet and dreaming??? Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Re: Guard screw spacing on 600 and Model 7

If the "gaurd screw spacing" is the same as the action screw spacing, I have 5.880 CTC on my model 7 best I can measure. I cannot answer the 600/660 question.

Thanks Austan

I bought a real nice early McM M40A1 smear stock from a gent. His claim was it was currently inletted for a Model 7 but could be made to fit a 700. I knew the 700 was about 3/8" longer but forgot exactly where/how Remington shortened it. No way a 700 can be made to fit.

The Model 7 wasn't made back in the early 70's when this stock was! Apparently it was originally for a Model 600/660 receiver and reinletted for a Model 7??? floorplate. I measure right at 5 5/8" center to center on the guard screw holes. From you measurement and another gents who wanted to buy it a Model 7 will not fit it either.

Thought I was going to have a real neat rig with this stock and could use what I had but now I am saying "oh shit"!!!! It is inletted for a Model 7 type bolt know and not the dog leg 600 style. Unless the previous owner changed the handle on a 600 bolt??

So anyone got a 600/660 measurement for me? Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

I just did a little reading on the internets and the action screw spacing is different between the mod 7 and 600 however I haven't been able to get a measurement number for the 600. I'll give it a little more effort and see if my search-fu is up to the task. I beleive the 600 was reintroduced as the 673 guide gun, you could possibly get someone to measure one of those.

5 1/2 spacing on the 600 and 660 I believe, 5 7/8 on the Model 7

the 673 is a M7 action, not a 600/660

i have M7, 673, and 600 rifles. i'll try to get numbers for you this weekend, but i believe mjh is correct

Thanks guys. Yes the stock inletting/bedding measures just a bit over 5.5" CTC. Found a M7 action but they are 5.875 roughly so what seemed to be a good deal that would make a neat rig has now gone south. Not alot of 600 actions floating around and I do really care for them anyway, no particular reason.

Am I correct in that the bolts are the same length between the 2??? If I found a 600 receiver I would either need a 700 type bolt handle installed or find a M7 bolt as stock has been inletted for that style.

Shit, Shit, and Shit again. Have numerous 700's laying around and there sure as hell wasn't another action in the budget or plan when I seen this stock for sale. Teach me to think I had a plan that was going to work
smile.gif

Again thanks guys for taking time to measure and post my needs.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Xp100-600/ Model 7- Xp100R bolts are same length.

DSCN2984.jpg

hangunnr