• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guardian Team Match

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
A few of us signed up for the Guardian Team Match in November. I’ve watched some promo videos on them and looks like a very good time.
My question is pertaining to the match logistics. Are the teams rucking stage to stage? Are we packing our own meals? Access to our vehicles for water/snacks? Stuff like that.. any input would be great. I’ve read some AAR on here but it was mainly stage descriptions.

There is no rucking required. Bring food but they feed you dinner Saturday night. Not a lot of good food options in town either unless you go all the way to Dothan. You have access to your vehicle most of the time if not all the time (last year there were a couple stages that were sort of out of the way and you had to ride a cart to them). Great match, great cause.

Reactions: 021411
There is no rucking required. Bring food but they feed you dinner Saturday night. Not a lot of good food options in town either unless you go all the way to Dothan. You have access to your vehicle most of the time if not all the time (last year there were a couple stages that were sort of out of the way and you had to ride a cart to them). Great match, great cause.
So you basically move laterally stage to stage like a PRS match would? I was also wondering about rifle weight..

Sort of. There are two major sections that they've used in the past (I'm sure others are possible, thats just what theyve used the past couple years) and the stages are lined up laterally at those major areas. Nothing too crazy complex. Guardian doesn't restrict rifle weight, if that's what you are implying is a concern or at least they haven't at the ones I've shot and I've shot all their team matches for the past couple years.

Sorry meant would there be any benefit to running a lightweight “hunter” type rifle versus a typical 18-20 pound PRS rig.

Except for one stage where they usually make you run to the top of some stairs... I can't think of one. They might have a stage where you shoot unsupported so maybe difficult to shoulder it, I guess. Lots of folks run what appear to be archetypical "PRS rigs" and do just fine.

No problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty familiar with this match and the facility.

Thanks for answering some questions that I had too, but was too stubborn to post. I signed up for the same match. First time shooting that sort of competition, so I don't really know what I don't know. What about LRFs, spotters, tripods, etc.?

Bring whatever you feel you'll need. Doesn't hurt to bring more kit. Nothing is very strict as its just for fun/charity. As the match goes on, you'll figure out for yourself what you want to bring with you to the stages. Tripod isn't necessary but nice to have. Running LRF binos seems to be fine as far as observation/ranging solution.

It seems to be a little venue dependent on what exactly is involved. I did guardian at a square range in Texas with all the firing positions pretty close to each other, was just kind of like any other match day except two shooters at the same time.

I still had the most fun of any two day match yet and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
You can run any rifle weight or caliber. In general these matches are disorganized. My best advice is that both shooters have ranging binos and practice dialogue under time.

Be prepared for a constant series of changes and calamity.

The team match at Arena is basically a range and engage PRS match with a stresser at a couple of stages. I’ve shot all of them and had a lot of fun. Very laid back and friendly group of shooters. It’s has been disorganized in the past as they tried to get fancy with some of the stages and/or volunteer no shows. Last years was very smooth except for the mover stage (old school pit style) as the whole range had to go cold before anyone could shoot it. They threw is out for day two and the match.

They have done pistol in the past and they are always staged. So no draws or movement with pistol.

Basic gear needs: LRF, written dope, bipod, bag, rifle, pistol, mags.

I’ve carried tripod at the Arena match and only used it once. Unless you’re a tripod rear person, is it not needed.

Partner communication is important and practice calling someone onto a target. Also be familiar with your partner’s rifle. We carried dope for both rifles on our arm board.

Last edited:
I shot the NH match last month and would love to shoot the Arena match in November if anyone is looking for a partner.