• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Guerilla Sniper" rifle: how would you build?

neoinarien

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Before everyone $hits all over me, no: I am not a sniper. Nor will I ever be one. I use that term in the subject headline since that is what many people call the 'genre' and it makes it easier for others to find it using searches (I tried searching for a thread and couldn't find it). Also, I think "precision" may be a bit misleading on this one.

Parameters: engage 20" size targets from CQB to 600 yards, focusing on 100-400 yards; hunting, zombies, etc. (this need not be 1MOA, in fact I would expect 2.5MOA to work though obviously not preferred)

Calibers: 308, 30-06, 7.62x54r, etc

Action: semi-auto

Scope required: yes

Budget: variable, but trying to keep this accessible for everyone (so no Larue's, etc)

Other: needs to be magazine fed and accepts at least 10 round magazines, reliably scopable, should be "light" and ergonomic (by light I would hope it would not rise above 12 pounds loaded, lighters is better), and also needs to be field reliable (this is not a safe queen!)

Some obvious suspects: M1a, AR10, FAL, PSL/dragunov type (remember you can get these in 308 as well, so let's not get too sidetracked on caliber/ammo discussion)

Let's further set aside the discussion of scope selection for now and just focus on rifles. And yes, we are probably all aware of many of the vague platitudes given to the above rifles (M1a's are tougher to scope, etc), so let's move beyond that.

I'm more interested in what YOU would take and why, how would you kit it out, where do you see your build excelling and where do you anticipate weaknesses.

Re: "Guerilla Sniper" rifle: how would you build?

In my mind "engage 20" size targets.....to 600 yards" and "this need not be 1MOA, in fact I would expect 2.5MOA" are incompatable.

Since I have never hunted zombies, I have no experience in this area....

DTA SRS for the win....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: par0thead151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA SRS for the win.... </div></div>

RIF....OP asked for semi's

Any that you listed would do...already proven to meet your parameters [except for that zombie thing] ,nothing to 'build'....mine is a SCAR17...done

YMMV

I have hunted zombies....Thermal is a "no go". They don't put off enough heat for them so you should look at a PVS27. If you say "I'll hunt them in the day" that will be your first mistake. They only come out at night. Also, one major flaw in your plan is the 20" target idea. Zombies can and I repeat can only be killed with a head shot. Although I have seen some big headed zombies, I have never seen one with a 20" head. So you need to plan on needing a gun capable of 1moa at worst. You need a Gap 10 6cm!

Your resident Zombie killer and future Python Killer,
Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see this thread is going places. </div></div>

you did start off explaining the purpose was for "hunting, zombies"
;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF... there are Guerrilla Zombies now... we're so fucked </div></div> I think you mean Gorrilla-Zombies.

no, I mean zombies that use guerrilla tactics in battle... as a direct link to the Op's use of the word and B.Morgan's reference to zombies...

but yeah Gorilla-Zombies, or Zombie Gorillas, would suck too

Aren't gorillas dangerous enough without arming them?

Something like a rock river lar8 would do what you need without blowing your budget out of the water. No, its not a GAP 10, or OBR, but its also less than 1/2 the cost. You can catch them for about $1K if you hunt around.

If the op meant "gorillas" that may explain the 20" target at 600 yards. Gorillas have some big heads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see this thread is going places. </div></div>

+1

Funny, judging by the title I thought he has a trained guerilla who he was teaching to use a sniper rifle. What do I know? And yes, Guerillas can shoot. Haven't you seen Planet of the Apes.

Planet Of The Apes was not a movie...it was a prophecy.

I wonder what the bag limit on zombie Gorilla's would be, and I can't think of too much that would help fight off a 500 pound undead creature in a CQB. Personally I'd make sure I kept friends that run slower then me around.

I believe that the OP indicated they are looking for a "Guerilla Sniper" type of rifle to be used for killing zombies among other things. I believe it also indicates the use of this term does not refer to a Sniper of Guerillas as it were, the spelling would suggest he is also not refering to the non-human type and thus presumably (undead) human sized heads would apply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiltonjg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally I'd make sure I kept friends that run slower then me around. </div></div>

When the zombies are out running around the fatties will be the first to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiltonjg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally I'd make sure I kept friends that run slower then me around. </div></div>

</div></div>

i know Neo, and can run circles around him...
hes zombie food!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiltonjg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally I'd make sure I kept friends that run slower then me around. </div></div>

</div></div>

Ha ha ha ha ha! SHO NUFF!

knfut.jpg

OP...Have you asked this question over at "ar15.com"? I'm sure you will get a better answer of what you need. I hear they are some real badass zombie killers over there. They will probably recommend something built by Larue but I haven't seen any of his stuff on the Zombie Battlefield lately. I can usually tell the AR15.com guys when I'm in battle by the laser light show they put on with all the stuff they run on their guns. Plus they constantly have to run in the store for more batteries.

"gorilla sniper"

I believe sniping gorillas is against the law.

as far as zombies, that's okay as long as you get hte right permit and tags, there is currently a 2 zombie limit per season

I was interested, until I read Zombies.

Forget the "guerilla sniper rifle" just save up enough money to put treadmills all the way around your house. If thats not enough to make you feel safe, get a bayonet for your pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: par0thead151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiltonjg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Personally I'd make sure I kept friends that run slower then me around. </div></div>

</div></div>

i know Neo, and can run circles around him...
hes zombie food! </div></div>

To be fair, I post solid 5k times and trail run regularly ... not claiming to be some hot shit ... where par0thead is an ironman, literally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Morgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP...Have you asked this question over at "ar15.com"? I'm sure you will get a better answer of what you need. I hear they are some real badass zombie killers over there. They will probably recommend something built by Larue but I haven't seen any of his stuff on the Zombie Battlefield lately. I can usually tell the AR15.com guys when I'm in battle by the laser light show they put on with all the stuff they run on their guns. Plus they constantly have to run in the store for more batteries. </div></div>

Yeah... if I wanted an 'arfcom' answer, I would've done that...

Then again, I've gotten equally substantive and thoughtful feedback here. So maybe it is just the pot calling the kettle black.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Morgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may post solid run times but have you really trained!

http://runforyourlives.com/ </div></div>

Haha, ok, you're WAY too into this.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF... there are Guerrilla Zombies now... we're so fucked </div></div>
my computer is now covered in dr pepper! this might be the qoute of the day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Morgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may post solid run times but have you really trained!

http://runforyourlives.com/ </div></div>

Haha, ok, you're WAY too into this.
grin.gif
</div></div>

yes!
sign me up!
running, parquoring, more running!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Morgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may post solid run times but have you really trained!

http://runforyourlives.com/</div></div> that is awesome!!! almost like the anti-Zombie Olympics

of course there are zombie gorillas, haven't you ever been to the DMV ? now there's a place worth sniping!

16" AR in .308 would do the job just fine.

"He said GO-rilla not GUER-illa

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QyG0G96UB6k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QyG0G96UB6k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I will actually answer this.

Armalite AR-10.

16 inch barrel

2 stage trigger

1-4x or 1-8x Optic if you have the $$. I use a Trijicon 1-4x with a german #4 reticle.

I can hit out to 400 easy. 600 with a bit of patience. Anything under 200 is pretty standard point and shoot with little thought.

I have run a few times through my own house clearing it and it works fine.

Oh and my qualifications, 12 years in the infantry 1993-2005. Just a guy who carries heavy shit and sleeps in the mud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not if we are armed to the teeth!

What about that Keltec RFB?