• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guess I'm Lucky This Wasn't One of My Centerfire Rifles

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
I was shooting my CZ-457 .22 magnum rimfire trainer today when this happened. The ammo was Winchester .22 Mag. 30 Grain VMAX.

I fired a round and immediately felt a very hot pinprick on the top of my right cheek. I knew right away something had gone wrong. I looked at the rifle and there was light grey smoke coming out of the back of the bolt, right where the cocked indicator is, and also around the edges of the bolt release on the left side of the receiver.

This is the ejected brass:

i-hTtTTPF-X2.jpg

A chunk of the rim is missing to the left of where the firing pin struck the cartridge :oops:. Apparently, when it let go hot gas and powder bits traveled at high speed down the firing pin channel an ejected through the cocked indicator hole, which is open after the trigger falls.

Luck was on my side. I didn't get injured, except for some redness and roughness on my right cheek, and the rifle continued to work without issues. Not too sure that the cocked indicator at the back of the bolt is a good idea though! It's right in line with the side of the face and gas and stuff definitely comes out that hole if something goes wrong.

I'd chalk it up to a bad round. Glad you are ok, most people will never experience anything like that and really don't know just how powerful a little 22 LR round can be let alone the Magnum.

Reactions: ZG47A
I never wear safety glass (have corrective glasses on all the time). Good idea to wear safety glass, more so now that they make them in so many different styles and are comfortable to wear.

I've had a .204 do that in a M12 Savage and had a hot factory loaded 45ACP blow up in a double stack Para 1911. Completely blew the mag out the bottom and left a bridge of blood across my face were the shrapnel hit my safety glasses and deflected down.
OUCH!! I was indeed REALLY lucky!

Sig P226 Factory 22LR, felt like sand sprayed in my face, seems the gas path was between the
slide and frame.

I always wear eye protection so no problem.

You never know when!

IMAG2150.jpg

If you send enough rounds downrange, it's not if, it's when.
Stress lines from brass forming, thin brass, overcharge primer/ powder, failure to fully chamber,
all things that can happen with any firearm.
Just received my check from CCI to reimburse for parts and pieces due to an overcharged cartridge.
Blew the entire head off and fragmented the magazine and mag well on my CZ 455.

If you send enough rounds downrange, it's not if, it's when.
Stress lines from brass forming, thin brass, overcharge primer/ powder, failure to fully chamber,
all things that can happen with any firearm.
Just received my check from CCI to reimburse for parts and pieces due to an overcharged cartridge.
Blew the entire head off and fragmented the magazine and mag well on my CZ 455.
Curious, what did you have to do to get $ from them? Do they require the box of ammo, receipts, etc?

Immediately after checking my shorts, I took pictures of everything.
Recovered all the shattered components, including the remains of the brass.
Took pictures of the unshot cartridges and recorded the mv numbers from the chronograph.
Contacted customer service at CCI and explained what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Immediately after checking my shorts, I took pictures of everything.
Recovered all the shattered components, including the remains of the brass.
Took pictures of the unshot cartridges and recorded the mv numbers from the chronograph.
Contacted customer service at CCI and explained what happened.

What did CCI say or do?

They requested copies of all the images, sent a label for shipping the rest of box of the unfired cartridges,
and the pieces of the ruptured cartridge.
Told me to send the rifle to CZ for repair.
CCI tested the remaining cartridges, stated it was most likely overcharged due to the type of damage.
Sent me a check for the repairs and a replacement box of 22wmr.

I never wear safety glass (have corrective glasses on all the time). Good idea to wear safety glass, more so now that they make them in so many different styles and are comfortable to wear.
I took my script to walmart and ordered a pair of safety glasses. If I remember it ran me about 150.00

2019 Summer I had a similar blowout with my 2014 Marlin 60, only about 1000 rounds on it. I was only 100 rnds or so after last cleaning, but wasn't aware of 'carbon ring' issue and didn't have a borescope at the time. I presume that cartridge didn't fully seat due to the ring and was in just enough that it was able to fire before fully in battery. Luckily I had shooting glasses on and shoot off right shoulder with right side ejection - most discharge went out the side. Now I use Boretech C-4 and brush the chamber often. BTW - It was Fed Auto-match, you can't tell from the pic.
PS - Last Spring I bought a Teslong scope ;-P
1 M-60 case blowout.JPG

Last edited:
Those are scarry pictures I just got a teslong scope a couple weeks ago because I have a couple rifles that have started to shoot poorly and found lots of copper fouling so after seeing those pictures I will be checking all of my other guns including my mod 60

Yes, the Teslong is a great tool, but it'll embarass you when you see all the crap in your 'best' guns. My Rem 700 SPS-TAC , looked like it was copper-plated bore with lots of carbon, and you can't imagine the SKS. I used Boretech C-4 for the carbon, then Pro-shot Copper Solvent IV. All came clean as new! I save vids of b4 and after to see what effects this has on accuracy.

Not too sure that the cocked indicator at the back of the bolt is a good idea
Most bolt action rifles every made have the ass end of the striker exposed through the bolt shroud.

It is what it is.

Wear safety glasses and this becomes a non issue

if you know what you are doing you can make the striker have a gas shroud integral to it and it really isnt that hard. It does add machine time though.