• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Guessing torque values

shqipe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2007
Indiana
I am about to attach a scope to a .22LR, but I will not be able to afford the Seekonk torque wrenches for another month or two. Meanwhile, I'd like to get some practice in. Are there any tricks to estimate the torque values by hand?

EGW recommends 20"lbs for the base and the rings are Seekins Precision (55"lbs and 15"lbs).

Thank you.
smile.gif

Re: Guessing torque values

Spent to many years doing aircraft assembly. Would not dream of trying to guess the torque on anything.
Try to borrow a 1/4" drive, inch lb. torque wrench.
Respectfully,
LG

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have to move the Seekonk torque wrench a bit higher in the priority list.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent to many years doing aircraft assembly. Would not dream of trying to guess the torque on anything.
Try to borrow a 1/4" drive, inch lb. torque wrench.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

I would advise using a slightly less than max setting on the torque.

I hear ya' ---broke down and bought seekonk mcx and quarter inch drive adjustable wrench. they are expensive!!!!!--but it's a one time deal--you don't want to doink out anything by guessing or have something come loose-- you will start using it on everything. you WILL use it forever because shooting is not something you just take up---it's in your blood just like all the rest of us here in the Hide.

Hold the small end of the torx/allen and tighten with just forefinger and thumb as tight as you comfortably can on the small ones and finger snug +1/4 turn on the 55lb'er.

Just my $.02, and maybe worth less than that.

The first time you snap a screw or strip some threads you will wish you used a torque wrench. I have done motor and suspension assembly for a couple years. Torque wrenches can mean the difference between long life and costly repairs.

Rudyard is correct. Once you have them you will use them on everything and it will drive you nuts if a manufacturer does not publish recommended torque settings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the small end of the torx/allen and tighten with just forefinger and thumb as tight as you comfortably can on the small ones and finger snug +1/4 turn on the 55lb'er.

Just my $.02, and maybe worth less than that. </div></div>
Actually some degree of truth in that. Not saying to go that way.

the trick is to use the least amount of torque to do the job reliably, not the most your fasteners will stand. i seldom torque gun stuff, even tho i have the torque wrench. i tighten mount systems on light recoiling rifles less than those on my heavies. and the front mount screw on the remingtons is shorter and will not take the same torque as the other three.

so i look at each screw as an individual and tighten it just enough to do the job reliably. i have not had stripped screws or anything work lose since my Locktite phase that caused me a few headaches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the small end of the torx/allen and tighten with just forefinger and thumb as tight as you comfortably can on the small ones and finger snug +1/4 turn on the 55lb'er.

Actually some degree of truth in that. Not saying to go that way.</div></div>

I did it that way for quite a while and its pretty darn accurate but now Im addicted to the torque wrench in a compulsive way. Might try the Wheeler Fat wrench, excellent value and in running it side by side with my Seekonk it is +- a pound or two at most.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=718023

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold the small end of the torx/allen and tighten with just forefinger and thumb as tight as you comfortably can on the small ones and finger snug +1/4 turn on the 55lb'er.

Actually some degree of truth in that. Not saying to go that way.</div></div>

I did it that way for quite a while and its pretty darn accurate but now Im addicted to the torque wrench in a compulsive way. Might try the Wheeler Fat wrench, excellent value and in running it side by side with my Seekonk it is +- a pound or two at most.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=718023 </div></div>
I have the Wheeler as well, swear by it, occasionally at it. In a pinch the short end of the allen/torx does work. Happy shooting & torquing
smile.gif

dont guess buy a torque ++++ In. lb.++++ NOT NOT I SAY NOT AGAIN FT. lb youll kill your scope. they arent that high and as much as i change scope i have to have one then just call leupold burris or whoever and ask the torque value for scopes and theyll tell you with 16 in. lbs or 28 in lb.s or whatever. dont guess ever

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont guess buy a torque ++++ In. lb.++++ NOT NOT I SAY NOT AGAIN FT. lb youll kill your scope. they arent that high and as much as i change scope i have to have one then just call leupold burris or whoever and ask the torque value for scopes and theyll tell you with 16 in. lbs or 28 in lb.s or whatever. dont guess ever </div></div>

WTF?