• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guidance Requested: Planning Out My Next AR

jst4kix

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2023
U.S.A.
Hello, All; New Guy here! I've been enjoying reading the various threads on the forums, and am respectfully requesting the group's guidance on planning out my next AR build. I apologize in advance for the long thread :)

Recently, I've decided I wanted to build a new AR around an ambi lower. While I am left-handed, I shoot right-handed, but am very interested in the idea of being able to quickly lock the bolt open and show clear using right-hand controls. In researching ambi lowers, ADM has come to the top of my list. I *think* I would like the lever mechanism employed by ADM (and, similarly, the Sig Spear LT) over the paddle-style offered by other companies, though I haven't had the opportunity to handle an ADM rifle (but I have played with the Spear LT at my LGS).

My use case for this build will be off-hand shooting, from 25 - 100 yards, primarily suppressed. Unfortunately, there's nowhere close around me to stretch out much past 200 yards, so I really want to focus this build on something lightweight and easy to maneuver for 100 yards and in. I already have a 20" LaRue AR for longer distances (as the occasions arise), as well as a standard 16" "Franken-AR" that was my first build. While this won't be a precision rifle build, I am interested in accuracy to the greatest extent practical.

I'm currently considering the following components for this build. I'm VERY interested to hear any feedback on the list below, especially if there are any components that won't work with one-another, or if you would make other choices given my use case:

• Stock: LaRue Tactical RAT (I have these on two other builds and like them quite a lot)
  • Buffer Tube: ADM 10-position
  • Buffer & Spring: ADM
  • Lower: ADM UIC (ambi bolt catch/release, ambi mag release)
  • Upper: ADM UIC
  • Handguard: ADM UIC 13"
  • Grip: LaRue Tactical A-PEG
  • Safety Selector: Radian Talon ambi safety
  • Charging Handle: Radian Raptor SD
  • Trigger: LaRue Tactical MBT-2S
  • BCG: ADM
  • Barrel: 13.9" ADM/Criterion CORE .223 Wylde
  • Gas Block: Superlative Arms, .625 adjustable, set screw version
  • Gas Tube: Superlative Arms, mid-length
  • Muzzle Device: SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake, pinned and welded
  • Suppressor: SilencerCo Omega 36M
The tally for all of the above (not including the suppressor, which I already own), is approximately $2,450, before taxes and shipping costs.

Alternatively, for that amount of money, is there a better platform I should consider just ordering and being done (and potentially getting a warranty to boot)? The Sig Spear LT, a LaRue upper on an ADM Lower, Daniel Defense DD4 RIII, LMT MARS-L, and others come to mind...

I look forward to your feedback / guidance!!

Solid build. I think the only real competitor to that list would be the Spear-LT, but you’d be stuck with an 11.5” and have to do SBR paperwork or the 16”.

that being said, my Virtus and Spear-LT are my favorite suppressor hosts, as even with heavy suppression cans (dead air) I get next to no gas in the face even offhand and they are quite accurate for all reasonable purposes 200yds and in, with both easily making hits on a 2” steel plate at 200yd with just a magnified dot.
(Virtus is a 9” 300blk, Spear-LT is the 11.5” 5.56)

you’ll also find the Spear-LT in the short barrel form is quite light.

If you end up going with the Spear, JMac customs makes a variety of ASR muzzle devices with the sig barrel taper so you don’t have to screw about with spacers and threadlocker

Reactions: jst4kix
Solid build. I think the only real competitor to that list would be the Spear-LT, but you’d be stuck with an 11.5” and have to do SBR paperwork or the 16”.

that being said, my Virtus and Spear-LT are my favorite suppressor hosts, as even with heavy suppression cans (dead air) I get next to no gas in the face even offhand and they are quite accurate for all reasonable purposes 200yds and in, with both easily making hits on a 2” steel plate at 200yd with just a magnified dot.

If you end up going with the Spear, JMac customs makes a variety of ASR muzzle devices with the sig barrel taper so you don’t have to screw about with spacers and threadlocker
Thank you for the insight on JMac customs! I’ve heard getting the factory-installed Sig muzzle brake off the barrel is quite a feat; did you have much difficulty?

I was originally considering the Spear LT, liking the gas system especially for shooting suppressed, but wanted to avoid the SBR / tax stamp route with the shorter-than-16” setup. It’s still a serious consideration, however.

Thanks again!!

did you have much difficulty?
not a huge amount, plug the barrel and hot soak it as directed and it comes apart easily enough. I swapped mine because I use the dead air keymount system (I’m assuming you’re probably heavily invested in ASR muzzle devices)

While SBR paperwork can be a pain in the rear, I think for the MCX at least it’s worth the trouble. Being able to ditch the buffer tube and extra stock weight does make a difference on short platforms. I was a bit dubious because of everything I had heard before I built the Virtus upper on an AR lower, and liked it enough to buy the Spear-LT, and was not disappointed.

Good to know! You’re correct about being heavily invested in the ASR ecosystem; I have them on all my AR’s, 300BO’s, and my Sig MPX. It makes things so easy when at the range!

Buy it from adm and save $250

I think you have a great set of components selected there. I recently went through a similar process and eventually decided to order 2 San-Tan Tactical STT-15 receiver sets. The features are really similar to the ADM, but the STT has built in QD points in the rear of the receiver. I just picked them up from my FFL today and am impressed with the controls & fitment.

Regardless of which receiver set you choose, I think your custom build is off to a great start.

Buy it from adm and save $250
That’s certainly a consideration as well! I emailed them yesterday to inquire about getting an ASR muzzle brake in place of the WarComp and they were very accommodating! I may go that route and just change the furniture / trigger / charging handle at some point in the future.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

Regardless of which receiver set you choose, I think your custom build is off to a great start.
Thank you very much, and thank you for the insight on San-Tan Tactical! I’ll check them out right away and see what I can find on Google / YouTube to learn more.

Best Regards!

@WindstormSCR I just wanted to thank you again for your insight, and ask your continued guidance...

Upon doing some more research, the 13.9" barrel, with the ASR Muzzle Device, doesn't appear to get me to 16" OAL, factoring in thread depth, etc... Even the LANTAC Dragon ASR Mount, being slightly longer, won't get me safely over 16" OAL. Therefore, if I'm going to go the tax-stamp route anyway, I've decided to change up the build to an 11.5" barrel. After going out this weekend, I came to the realization that I don't need another "standard" barrel length build, and I vastly prefer holding / shooting my DD DDM4 PDW (7" 300 BO) over my AR's due to weight (I'm not getting any younger, LOL).

So, the question becomes: All other things being equal (trigger, ADM ambi-lower, 11.5" barrel length, etc...) what platform is "best" for shooting primarily suppressed ("best", for me, means being between 25-100 yards, excellent accuracy, light weight, and not an eye-full of suppressor gas after multiple shots)?
  • 11.5" Spear LT 5.56 (full ambi, piston system - should be cleaner, designed to be shot suppressed) vs.
  • ADM 11.5" Upper vs.
  • Geissele Super Duty 11.5" Upper vs.
  • DD DD4 RIII 11.5" Upper vs
  • something else I haven't considered...
Thanks to all!

of that list, the Sig will have the best suppressed performance on account of the short stroke gas design allowing most of the gas bleed off to happen not right next to your face, and unlike an AR, re-tuning to shoot unsuppressed is as simple as flipping the gas regulator.

it also wins the weight department, especially with the minimalist folding stock design

I would offer a few alternatives to your build list.

VLTOR A5 buffer tube
Standard Springco Green spring
VLTOR A5H1
Black River Tactical pinnable gas block
Black River Tactical EZ tune gas tube

This will give you a more manual, common to all gas system. You won't have set screws to deal with. Everything can be pinned and more permanent and durable. You can make some adjustments with the VLTOR A5 buffers but your 90% tuning will occur with a right sized gas port in the gas tube.

BTW, I really like the ADM UIC uppers and lowers. I think you'll be happy with them.

Only spurge item I'd suggest is a Noveske chrome lined afghan barrel
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I’ll look into each of these components and add them to the list.

Out of curiosity, you would choose the Noveske barrel over the Criterion “Core” barrel offered by ADM? I’m unfamiliar with the barrel from Noveske, but I’ve heard many good things about the company. I’ll start researching it. Interestingly, Craddock Precision has a “signature” 11.5” .223 Wylde barrel I was considering as well.

So many options, I have “analysis paralysis”, lol!!

Out of curiosity, you would choose the Noveske barrel over the Criterion “Core” barrel offered by ADM? I’m unfamiliar with the barrel from Noveske, but I’ve heard many good things about the company. I’ll start researching it. Interestingly, Craddock Precision has a “signature” 11.5” .223 Wylde barrel I was considering as well.
Your parts list looks kinda "hard use gun" to me, I probably wouldn't be putting a high end SS barrel in such a thing.

I think you need to decide if you want a stainless steel, accuracy oriented precision barrel or a blast-o-matic, maximum life span, chrome lined barrel. It sounds like you're not going to be going to the 100yd fudd range every Thursday morning when all the working age people have to work to work up the perpetual, endless accuracy masturbation load. If that's the case and you want a high end blaster build, my number 1 choice is a Noveske Afghan or Infidel barrel. Probably the light weight version. They're known to have quality chrome lining for max durability. They're a bit more expensive than a Criterion Core barrel. About $500. My current blaster has an ARP melonited 3 groove 223 Wylde barrel that I had cut down to 13.7". The meloniting coating is for high round count life span like chrome lining. I paid $200 for that barrel. It shoots about 1.5moa. I'm going to stick with the cheaper version until I really want to step it up and then it'll be a Noveske.
Thanks for laying the above out for me! You are correct, I'm not interested in hand-loading for maximum accuracy and chasing group sizes. I do, however, want something that is as accurate as I can practically get with reasonably priced / readily available factory ammo within 100 yards, but equally as important is longevity/durability. I'll start researching the Noveske right away.

Follow-on question: What BCG would you recommend if running the Noveske barrel? Is the ADM unit still adequate, or should I look for something else / better? The Geissele marketing people make their BCG sound like the best thing since sliced bread, but I have no experience with it or other "high-end" BCG's, so I'm very interested in your opinions.

Your parts list looks kinda "hard use gun" to me, I probably wouldn't be putting a high end SS barrel in such a thing.
Thank you for the continued guidance, Sir! As I mentioned, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with choices, so I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. You're correct, I'm looking for something I can enjoy without worrying about. I want something I can rely on that doesn't require constant "tweaking", that I can carry as long as necessary (i.e., as light as possible without sacrificing durability), and that shoots as well or better than I can, off-hand and suppressed. Any / all comments and guidance are welcome; I really appreciate the forum members' depth/breadth of knowledge and experience.

If you go the AR route and are building for minimal maintenance cycles, then chrome-lined barrel is a must. Noveske is good, so are X-Caliber custom cuts if you’re after something slightly unusual.

For BCG, in a hard use minimal maintenance build I will always 100% swear by Young Mfg. Hard Chromed BCGs. It’s like magic, the way even a few thousand rounds worth of carbon just wipes off those things.

Stay away from the Law ARIC though if you wanted an AR that behaves like an MCX, thing isn’t reliable at all.

If you go the AR route and are building for minimal maintenance cycles, then chrome-lined barrel is a must. Noveske is good, so are X-Caliber custom cuts if you’re after something slightly unusual.

For BCG, in a hard use minimal maintenance build I will always 100% swear by Young Mfg. Hard Chromed BCGs. It’s like magic, the way even a few thousand rounds worth of carbon just wipes off those things.

Stay away from the Law ARIC though if you wanted an AR that behaves like an MCX, thing isn’t reliable at all.
Awesome information, Sir! Thanks as always!

Thank you for the continued guidance, Sir! As I mentioned, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with choices, so I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. You're correct, I'm looking for something I can enjoy without worrying about. I want something I can rely on that doesn't require constant "tweaking", that I can carry as long as necessary (i.e., as light as possible without sacrificing durability), and that shoots as well or better than I can, off-hand and suppressed. Any / all comments and guidance are welcome; I really appreciate the forum members' depth/breadth of knowledge and experience.
I would stick with your original choice of a Criterion CORE. They'll take a beating, are relatively inexpensive so you could buy two and be set for a long time, have great weight distribution for hanging a can and retaining decent balance, and are typically pretty accurate. No need to worry about smoking your nice custom $600 stainless barrel after a couple mag dumps, you can probably get away with never cleaning it.