• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Guides' and Landowners' Wish List

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
With hunting season around the corner, what suggestions and recommendations do you guides and landowners wish your hunters knew?

Anything that you especially like or dislike?

What makes you want to put a boot up their backside?

What brings a smile to your face?

Re: Guides' and Landowners' Wish List

I guide for pheasant and chuckar and it drives me nuts when they arent watching their surroundings. as in where my dogs are.

Used to guide for deer and wished hunters would practice with their rifles so they could shoot. So many times we were so close and yet so far because they missed and I'm talking shots that were under 200 yds. And some how it was our fault they did not get a deer.

Safety first of course, then respect for the land and the wildlife. and honesty...pretty simple and easy to follow.

Good luck this fall Jeff!!

+1 on respect for the land and wildlife.

Nothing turned me off more than working to get a guy a deer and than have them not want it. "Just wanted to shoot a nice one" but when the shooting was over (4 shot with a 300WM) he would have left it lay if I would have let him and it was a nice mulie.

Needless to say, he did not come back.

Best group of hunters was from Kentucky, pleasant, decent people who tipped the ranchers wife for her cooking, showed interest in the ranching operation and helped do things in camp. Alway worked hard to get them something better than average.

mdesign are you saying he shot four different deer, or one deer four times?

You too PGS, and everyone else out there guides and hunters alike!

I remember one guy from years ago I guided. We were hunting mule deer in mid November. We had left the pickup in mid afternoon with a plan to walk out a long ridge that had both good cover and good feed. After making a 4 or 5 mile slow loop we got back to within sight of the pickup and I sat down to take a break and enjoy a classic crimson red Montana sunset. The guy said "what are we doing?" I said "I'm gonna sit here, have a chew and enjoy this red sky." "It'll look like this only a few moments." He said "I need to get some cell service and call the office." He never looked up at the sky once...kinda sad. A lot of people look at it but they dont see it. I love guiding the guys that see it!!

Tell those guys to savor every moment....its like a sunset...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Safety first of course, then respect for the land and the wildlife. and honesty...pretty simple and easy to follow.

Good luck this fall Jeff!! </div></div>

+100000

and.... pack it in, you pack it out. Don't litter!

treat people the way you'd like to be treated

listen to your guide... contrary to what some think, we do know what we are talking about
grin.gif

Have a safe and successful season !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to guide for deer and wished hunters would practice with their rifles so they could shoot. So many times we were so close and yet so far because they missed and I'm talking shots that were under 200 yds. And some how it was our fault they did not get a deer. </div></div>

+1 nothing worse than someone showing up in camp with a rifle not sighted in or familiar with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mdesign are you saying he shot four different deer, or one deer four times?

You too PGS, and everyone else out there guides and hunters alike! </div></div>

Four shots on the same deer, hit him 3 of the 4 times at 175 yds.