• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gulf Coast Trip Recommendations

Yasherka

Irritant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wife wants to take the boys to see the ocean around the mid-July timeframe. It'll be a cold day n hell before I go back to the left coast, and given the drive it looks like the best option is the gulf. Yeah I know it technically isn't the "ocean" but close enough.

Where would be a decent place to go? I'm looking at Corpus Christi as it's far enough from the border it should minimize having to worry about the wets, but also far enough from Houston I don't need to worry about the crime there.

Are there any other family-friendly options I could look at? I'm coming down from Colorado.

If you’re set on the Corpus area, go to Port Aransas. The beaches are sand, not ground sea shells, and are easier on bare feet. But, if going to Texas, I’d go to South Padre.

That said, Destin FL ranks high on the gulf coast beach destinations.

Corpus is good if you want to visit the USS Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium, but the better beach would be Port Aransas, which is not to far from Corpus. Up the coast a ways is Aransas Wildlife Refuge were there are whooping cranes, I forget what time of year.

Reactions: Stevo86
    Don't Come to Destin...

It's a damn circus tourist trap, especially peak summer.

As mentioned Gulf Shores/Perdido Key area is pretty low key. My next look would be Navarre Beach even further east 30A(blue Mountain, Grayton, SeaSide). I'd personally stay out of Panama city too. If you Keep going east past Panama City, Mexico Beach, which is the other side of Tyndall is super chill.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jMarine
    Pert Aransas in nice but if youre near Corpus Chrsti dont miss Padre Island National Seashore. You drive down the beach and camp. If you go to Malaquite Beach. its all natural. I first went to Corpus circa 68 for school, At that time there were two draw bridges to get out to the island, now its all high bridges, Some of the best smoked brisket is to be found at a little place called Howard's BBQ, I think its down by 6 Points. One of the largest Live Oaks in the world is out by Port A at the Aransas Wildlife preserve. Good fisinig if youre into that. If you get the urge to blast, Jason Bynum's Rifles Only is out towards Kingsville. There's also a large NAS . they used to repair helicoptors that were shot up in Viet Nam there.

If you have questions ask.

Padre Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

1684464178806.png
    National Park Service (.gov)
    https://www.nps.gov › pais

Apr 8, 2023 — Along the hypersaline Laguna Madre, unique tidal mud flats teem with life. Native Americans, Spanish explorers and cattle ranchers have walked ...

Plan Your Visit

Fees & Passes - Camping - Things To Do - Weather - Places To Go

Camping

South Beach - Malaquite Campground - North Beach - ...

Fees & Passes

Park Entrance Fees · Private Vehicle 1-Day Pass - $10.00.

Things To Do

Hatchling Releases - On the Laguna Madre - Camping - ...
    More results from nps.gov »

Last edited:
    I don’t know about the rest of the 3rd coast, but you’ll find that the best fishing charters in Texas are in CC/PortA.

Reactions: Maggot
    If only there was some water.
    Have to get a 1/2 mile from shore for it to be 5 foot deep.
    Nope, not kidding.
    It is not a place you would want to swim anyway.....saltwater catfish and sting rays, need I say more ?

Wife wants to take the boys to see the ocean around the mid-July timeframe. It'll be a cold day n hell before I go back to the left coast, and given the drive it looks like the best option is the gulf. Yeah I know it technically isn't the "ocean" but close enough.

Where would be a decent place to go? I'm looking at Corpus Christi as it's far enough from the border it should minimize having to worry about the wets, but also far enough from Houston I don't need to worry about the crime there.

Are there any other family-friendly options I could look at? I'm coming down from Colorado.
    Go to orange beach Alabama or 30a in Florida. Pm me if you like

Come to AL or FL, you will not regret it

Panama City beach FL has all the action, Destin is slower paced
    Gulf Shores AL is nice and you are not far from one of the best restaurants ever - https://throwedrolls.com/lamberts-cafe-iii/

hell anywhere from Fort Morgan AL to Panama City beach, you can't go wrong. You can find some decent rental prices too.

Reactions: Snipe260
    Texan here. Corpus is a shithole if you don't know what you're doing.

My rec would be Gulf Shores / Orange Beach or get to Destin, FL. If you wanna gamble then head to Biloxi, MS. The Beau Rivage or the Hard Rock.

Or, if you're ritzy and wanna spend some money, get to Rosemary Beach or Seaside/Watercolor/the 30A area, but be prepared for the UBER-preppy crowd.

Reactions: UKDslayer

Before Memorial day or after Labor Day, yes. Don't want to be anywhere near US98 from Okaloosa Island to Panama City Beach during the summer...unless you enjoy spending time with your family...in a car...moving at one MPH.

Exception: Arrive at your beach house between midnight and 6AM and do not travel anywhere you cannot walk until vacation is over. Depart after midnight.

Come a litle further south off the pan handle, around the Big Bend, to the Crystal River area. We've gone scalloping around there and enjoyed the overall experience boating, time at the beaches and restaurants we've explored so far. Lots of home/condo rentals available too.

“Quantity has a quality all of its own.”

Some friends of ours drove down that direction when they moved back to FL. They sent a few pictures from a stop in Biloxi that looked pretty nice

Destin is hard to beat if you want clear water to do any underwater activities. The crowds are stupid, but Benning MWR down there used to rent boats fairly cheap. You will have to take a test to get the “license” to rent a boat in Florida, but if my hillbilly inbred ass can do it, anyone should be able to.

If you are going to be down in the CC or South Padre area, might as well make the trek over to StarBase. Nowhere else are you going see a working rocket factory/launch complex so up close. It's pretty crazy to see what they are building so close to the border.

South Texas Sucks.
    The beaches suck. The view sucks.
    Gulf Coast Florida beaches are much nicer.

Tellin ya... Peak Tourist season is not the time to be in Destin. April/May or September/October on a Wednesday... Way Way better.

E7646F95-2E26-4517-8269-9EADA17795F6_4_5005_c.jpeg

During the Summer the Springs, are where I like to be, to get away from the crowds.
    IMG_1458.jpeg

Reactions: oneshot86
    If you are going to be down in the CC or South Padre area, might as well make the trek over to StarBase. Nowhere else are you going see a working rocket factory/launch complex so up close. It's pretty crazy to see what they are building so close to the border.
    Joe and company want to make it easy for their masters, the Chinese, to take when they invade through Mexico. :whistle:

Gulf Shores --- We rent a condo there every other year. Take the whole Family, kids, Grandkids, everybody. The beach is nice and clean, lots of good restaurants, ect. You can parasail, charter a fishing trip, ect.

St Petersburg ----- Nice clean beach, about the same things available as Gulf Shores. Maybe a little more expensive.

Orange beach, Fort Morgan, about anything around there will be nice.

Corpus Christy --- The last time we were there the beach and the water just looked dirty. I felt dirty when I came out of the water.

About anything in Alabama and both sides of Florida will be nice. And everything will be crowded when school is out. You will have to make reservations for accommodations and you better start now. Traffic will be heavy, bumper to bumper, from about mid afternoon until way late at night.

Good Luck, and have fun!

We just went to Mexico Beach FL 3 weeks ago, it was great. Mexico Beach is very small and quiet. No big business district, just local shops and gas stations. We got a VRBO right on the beach. Most of the town is brand new because it all got wiped out by Hurricane Michael.

Its about a 30 minute drive to Panama City for action if you want it, but far enough away from there to be quiet when you don't.

In my youth we would summer in the FL gulf coast. Clearwater was really nice. Zero clue now.

We just went to Mexico Beach FL 3 weeks ago, it was great. Mexico Beach is very small and quiet. No big business district, just local shops and gas stations. We got a VRBO right on the beach. Most of the town is brand new because it all got wiped out by Hurricane Michael.

Its about a 30 minute drive to Panama City for action if you want it, but far enough away from there to be quiet when you don't.

Last time I was in Mexico Beach, I think there was one house left on the beach.

Last time I was in Ybor City, they closed several blocks of downtown to vehicles and you could do a pub crawl, they had lots of craft brewery places.

I like Destin but the traffic is crazy. If you want to go out to eat, etc. you spend a large amount of time in traffic.

Guys, thank you for the recommendations! Looks like I'll need to concentrate on the Corpus area as anything east of Houston will take too much driving time. Due to staffing issues at the job I can only take six days off and I can't push through on a hard drive like I used to...especially with a wife, two 11 year-olds, and a three-legged dog.

Guys, thank you for the recommendations! Looks like I'll need to concentrate on the Corpus area as anything east of Houston will take too much driving time. Due to staffing issues at the job I can only take six days off and I can't push through on a hard drive like I used to...especially with a wife, two 11 year-olds, and a three-legged dog.
    Stay in PortA/Aransas Pass. Drive over to CC to see the Lexington. Eat some fried catfish at Charlie’s. Eat more on the wharf. Book a chartered fishing trip with Bill Busters. And, check the calendar and you could hop over to Rifles Only for a rifle match.

where is that?
    Econfina Springs. Its beautiful.

One of the springs is water coming up out of a massive hole in the ground. Clean and beautiful... Cold.

FA3BE945-2F45-4599-AB74-CFB90629CF17.jpeg

These are the cats we rented from, the spring in the picture above is off the main river, not far from their launch point.

265D52A4-B3E7-4529-8279-8A35C0D37591.jpeg

Attachments

• 496D6985-34AA-4AEE-8AB3-0E71113F6610.jpeg
      496D6985-34AA-4AEE-8AB3-0E71113F6610.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 16
    Last edited:
    If Econfina looks interesting, check out Wakulla Springs. Beautiful, vintage, 1930's lodge w/ lots of history on the main spring.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee