• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Care After Rain

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
Was caught in a sudden heavy downpour today - which was welcome in the middle of our drought so I'm not complaining.

The rifle was not soaked, but definitely took some water all over.

Any suggestions about anything beyond the usual cleaning that I ought to do? The rifle is a R700 in an A5. It is coated and painted.

Should I pull the firing pin assembly to check for water in there? Remove the barreled action from the stock and dry underneath? Anything to be done to the trigger?

Input appreciated.

TIA.

Jeff

Re: Gun Care After Rain

plenty of times after matches that were a bit moist......a tear-down was in order...hair dryer and relube....punch the bore....

I like to tear them down and hit them with compressed air. Squeezes out the unseen water.

We always shoot on a weekly schedule. Wind, rain, snow, sun. Whatever the conditions. Consequently, moisture will invade your rifle. Water does tend to get between the stock and the action and thus requires cleaning to prevent corrosion. I would also recommend cleaning your trigger with lighter fluid to prevent unforseen mishaps there as well. Remember, no oil is best for the 700 triggers. Clean the bore and wipe down the rifle and you are gtg!

If it has had a real soaking I agree 100% with the guys saying get the action/barrel out of the stock dry it with a towel/cloth and then oil it.

If the bolt has got wet too....definitely disassemble, clean and dry. Lube as recommended by maker.

Dry the trigger - NO oil

Clean and dry the chamber andbore as usual and apply CLP to the bore using alightly loaded patch (remember to pull the barrel through with a clean patch before shooting again!).

RE: stock...depends if it is wood or synthetic. If it is wood dry it the same way: remove any excess/standing water with towel/tissue/cloth and leave to dry normally before reassembly - do not apply any heat for obvious reasons!!! I would alos recommend that once or twice a year you apply a coat of good quality stock conditioning oil to wood.