• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Cases

BlkExp98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
South Carolina
What Are you using for a gun case for your precision rifles? I have somewhat swayed to soft discreet type bags for my other rifles and have thought about one for my bolt gun. I currently use one of the Starlight hard cases that Sams sold back in the day for cheap. The starlight case is big and bulky so id really like to find something more say user friendly.

So what all have you found to work good and inexpensive is a plus as long as its good?
wink.gif
My rifle is a plain old REM 700 5R special with the factory stock but i do have a large optic on it (Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56) so that adds some height.

Re: Gun Cases

I use the Eagle shooting mat / bag. It folds up to a very ice case and is good and padded with some extra storage pockets for ammo and other stuff like a data book.

Don't know if you care about where it is made but natchez has an eagle mat for a very good price:
Eagle Mat

For when I'm taking two rifles, and maybe a pistol, to the range I've been using this Tac-Force case for a little while now.

http://tac-force.com/tts46discreetsoftguncase.aspx

The larger compartment easily holds my bolt gun with its 24" barrel, McMillan A5 stock, and Nightforce 3.5-15X50 with zero stops. I would say that it could easily handle an optic with a 56mm objective too. The front compartment can hold a 16" barreled carbine with Vltor E-Mod stock and a NF 2.5-10 in a LaRue SPR mount. If I collapse the stock I can easily fit a pistol in the front compartment as well. I picked it up locally, the quality isn't too bad, it's not Eagle quality or anything, but for just going to the range and riding in the back of the Jeep it works great. If I'm just taking one rifle to the range or even traveling somewhere in the Jeep I just wrap the rifle up with a scope and crown cover inside of a TAB gear cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real happy with this guy. It's a real nice case for the money:

Linkey, linkey </div></div>

I bought that same case in black from Academy for $99. Pretty good hard case for the money.

Im thinking i want to hold off on another hard case for the moment even though those look more streamlined than the one i have.

Ive looked into the eagle before and think it may be a good option and take place of my cheap HF moving blanket. I still wonder how much protection it has though since many of the pictures i see have an optic cover as well. Its also a little limited in the little extras you can carry though i do have a backpack that works.

On the Tac Force i have one of those in a smaller variety for my AR15 and really dont have any complaints other than the srtap doesnt really work and you cant load the front too much. With that said ive carried two rifles many times in it. I didnt think i could fit my rifle in one so i overlooked it. I really wish it would open flat though.

I recently got one of these - for just $65 it's hard to beat.
- Not sure I would ever put two rifles in there, but there is a padded divider in there.

Description say that the case inside is 4" less than the exterior, but my 47.4" bolt fits.
I also have an Eagle-HSRC, but it's takes a little more work to pack/unpack the rifle - unless you are using it as a mat.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=939171584

I have been using a Galati Deluxe Shooters Mat for a couple of years now. It is well made and serves many purposes for the price. It's actually a nice padded gun case that you can carry by hand or rig as a backpack, it can also be used as a drag bag, or a very nice shooting mat. I have been using this as a case and a shooting mat for various competition matches, including carrying two long guns to 3-gun matches. It has a nice internal padded divider you can use to put between two long guns.

See it here - - http://www.galatigear.com/store/product.php?productid=16231&cat=277&page=1

Amazon currently carries these for about $175 (a great price for all the features).

Best of luck!

I've had an Eagle-HSRC for a few years now. Don't really remember what I paid for it. It doubles as a mat pretty well when needed. You'll have no problem putting your setup in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if you care about where it is made but natchez has an eagle mat for a very good price:
Eagle Mat </div></div>

I have this same mat. very good, sturdy build. I also have a quad SKB rifle case. very sturdy, at Amazon you can get it for just over $200. Very good for the money.

I use Pelican cases for my AR's and my bolt-guns.. The quality and durability is hard to beat. Not to mention the warranty.