• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun closet

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
Got a new house. I have a closet that I will use as a gun room. I am going to leave my rifles cased. I have looked at a few gun racks. Have not found anything I like. I will build something. Post any pics of racks that you have?

You're gonna regret that.
Say more! I've been thinking through the same topic. I have a case for each rifle since they all have different foam cutouts. If I don't store them cased, then I have to store 2 things instead of 1 so would require more space. I rarely take them all out at once so maybe could get by with less cases if I planned layouts better Maybe?

How did you do it?

Say more! I've been thinking through the same topic. I have a case for each rifle since they all have different foam cutouts. If I don't store them cased, then I have to store 2 things instead of 1 so would require more space. I rarely take them all out at once so maybe could get by with less cases if I planned layouts better Maybe?

How did you do it?
If you have never owned a high blued chrome moly barrel with a fancy wood stock, you will probably be fine forever if you at least let your barrel cool at the range before packing it in the waterproof Pelican.
But some of us fossils grew up with these shitty Doskosil hard cases, with hinges so fucked up you had 1/4" variance where the seams met, and latching them was a chore. Any moisture in your house seeped into these piles of shit and made nice guns not look so good. Or storing a wet shotgun in a soft case.
If you are storing guns in a closet, theft is not a concern. So a novice could build a rifle rack with 1-6ft 1"x6''. 1-6ft1x4 and a jigsaw and some screws that wouldn't take up much of a footprint, in any room.
I have a pretty funny story about putting a Benelli SBE in a soft case after hunting geese in a snowstorm, taking it out 9 mos later. Navel Jelly, a rust remover doesn't differentiate between surfaces, and shooting 15 shells through a new SBE and trying to trade it in 2 days later resulted new car style depreciation.

Post any pics of racks that you have?

Not today agent, not today.

Oddly growing up all the long guns were left in soft cases in the most inhospitable damp basement you can imagine. No rust.
Now some of them rust just looking at them.

My dad just ran a 2x4 horizontal in his closet about 3' off the floor. Then took a dowel and cut it into 3-4" pegs. Spread apart about 3" sticking out of the 2x4.

Guns leaning along the back wall. Hidden by the shirts/coats on the traditional coat hanger rod. Then had a lock on the closet door.

Reactions: Milo 2.5