• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Closet

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I my new house in Myrtle Beach SC. I have a Closet that I turned into a gun room. I built gun racks to hold the gun vertical. There is no outlets in this closet , can't use the plug in type dehumidifier. I have a rechargeable gun safe dehumidifier in it now.https://www.snapsafe.com/accessories/rechargeable-gun-safe-dehumidifiers
Is that enough? What do you have?

I my new house in Myrtle Beach SC. I have a Closet that I turned into a gun room. I built gun racks to hold the gun vertical. There is no outlets in this closet , can't use the plug in type dehumidifier. I have a rechargeable gun safe dehumidifier in it now.https://www.snapsafe.com/accessories/rechargeable-gun-safe-dehumidifiers
Is that enough? What do you have?

If own the house or can otherwise alter the residence I would call in an electrician and have a couple of outlets added to the closet.

Sounds like you're sorta handy. Maybe you could run the wiring yourself. Not that hard - YT has vids for breaker installs.

^ ^ Right, or even run wire overhead from any nearby outlet, if you're just putting a drier and maybe an LED light. So sad that most closets Don't have a light fixture in 'new builds'. $20 savings for the builder.

Reactions: Taylorbok
^ ^ Right, or even run wire overhead from any nearby outlet, if you're just putting a drier and maybe an LED light. So sad that most closets Don't have a light fixture in 'new builds'. $20 savings for the builder.
I can do the wiring. I do have a light in the closet. There may be a an outlet in the room behind, but can't get to it right now, due being packed up due to move. What all do I need in the room? It is 135 cu-ft.

You could put a screw-in outlet adapter for power OR You could take the power for the dehumidifier from the light switch, just don't have it 'switched' for the DH. From that size I'm guessing ca 4' x 5' x 6-7' H ? Just due to being 'near' the ocean I'd put in a DH, just the smallest you can buy. OR if the room (BR?) the closet is in stays 'dry' (ca 50-70% RH) just put vent louvres at the top and a small 'gap' at the bottom of the door ? Get a RH meter before you make a bunch of mods, the closet may be 'dry enough' right now. Do any of your friends have a similar system ?

I can do the wiring. I do have a light in the closet. There may be a an outlet in the room behind, but can't get to it right now, due being packed up due to move. What all do I need in the room? It is 135 cu-ft.
If you're looking to do something quick and dirty, replace the light fixture with an outlet. Then when you have access to the outlet in the adjacent room, you can do a more proper outlet in the closet.

Reactions: SmileMaker
You could put a screw-in outlet adapter for power OR You could take the power for the dehumidifier from the light switch, just don't have it 'switched' for the DH. From that size I'm guessing ca 4' x 5' x 6-7' H ? Just due to being 'near' the ocean I'd put in a DH, just the smallest you can buy. OR if the room (BR?) the closet is in stays 'dry' (ca 50-70% RH) just put vent louvres at the top and a small 'gap' at the bottom of the door ? Get a RH meter before you make a bunch of mods, the closet may be 'dry enough' right now. Do any of your friends have a similar system ?
The closet is in a hallway, it's 3'x5'x9' This house is new energy efficient smart home, with spray foam on all the exterior, even in the inside of the roof have spray foam, making the attic is a condition air space for the HVAC system. I don't think it will be a problem, but I just want to be sure. I will get a RH Meter first.

$20 in parts, but $120 in labor, times every closet...

You either build custom and pay all the upcharges or deal with stupid stuff in a spec.

It sucks, but that's life now. Most of these newer homes look like there designed to be demo'd and rebuilt every 20 years.

Reactions: Big Phish
Sounds like a fairly easy job to do since it be something worthwhile to do especially if you high humidity. I been doing electrical for 50+ years so it can be done as nothing is impossible. I always hear this from apprentices working with me saying that there is no way it's impossible.

I know I can get power to a plug in dehumidifier, but do I need it. Do the rechargeable type work? I have a RH Meter coming. What range should RH be in?

If the house is really tight you may not need anything unless you have open doors/windows. If the house has A/C running in Summer should be OK, too. My basement is 'semi-finished' (3/4) and I'm in N-E Canada so now it's ca 28F outside. I keep my basement ca 50-60F and the humidity runs 40% now but only takes 1-gal / 1-2 weeks. In the summer, w/o A/C the basement stays ca 70-75F. I have a dehumidifier that's set at 40% and it 'de's ' about 1-gal a day thru the summer. Mu 'Gun Closet ' is the space beneath the stairs to the basement, with no air circulation but I've had NO probs for the 7-years I've lived here.
You might be able to use just 'Silica driers', a good low-cost product is the Silica cat litter that changes color. You can re-condition it by drying it in the oven - about 150* for a few hours. Just spread in a plastic tray or even a cloth bag, and check the color every few days. OR just a 60W light-bulb low near the floor (below your firearms) might be enough heat to drive out the humidity ? It will depend on your results when you check what the RH is now.

My house should be very tight. I have 2 Silica driers now , one regular, one plugin rechargeable, and a RH meter. It is running 40% now. I will keep an eye on it as it gets warmer here.

Reactions: oldrifleman