• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gun coating for saltwater

safarigene

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
central texas
I spent part of last week on my dads sailboat and had a little rust on my stainless 1911 from where I kept it in the cabin while we were docked. I was wondering what the best coating is for this situation. The KG guncoat sounds like the perfect solution, but would like some suggestions on other products.

Thanks,
Gene Cole III

Re: Gun coating for saltwater

Thinking about refinishing the whole gun. It is the two tone stainless with the matte type finish on the top of the slide and frame, with actual stainless on the slide flats. I would like to go with either a black slide and maybe silver or OD frame, or a solid color refinish.

I would do like boltripper said and check everything internal. If you have access to a bead blaster i would run the gun through that and clean everything up then inspect it. As far as coating it there are several guys thay coat on here and could do a clean job for you. You could always use some Alumahyde or something like that from brownells or midway and do it yourself

That was the first thing I did when I got home. I stripped the gun down and checked everything. Only rust was on the matte finish part of the gun. Everything else held up well. I hit the rusted spots with some fine steel wool and oil, they were very minor spots on the surface. No damage was done, but plan on going down there again and would like to not have to worry anymore.

i would keep my trusty 1911 at distance from the salt air, and invest in some combat tupperware for them times i go hunting for tuna.....

i'm just sayin...........

Lube it and shove it in a ziplock.

Amazingly enough with constant maintenance I never had a problem with our rifles rusting while on ship. Of course we didn't have anything better to do.

You will notice smooth stainless is less prone to rust than the rough texture. Liquid runs of the smooth, and it will run off the rough bead blasted areas it tends to bead in the rough spots causing rusty specks. I install hurricane shutters on Pensacola Beach and have stainless parts rust all the time. I clean them up and spray lithium grease on them and then wipe them down to leave a light film. I wouldn't do that with a gun because of the filmy residue. It is stainLESS not stainproof. A good hard wearing coating will be your best bet to prevent corrosion. But I would also buy a piece of tupperware for fishing. I use my Glock and XD and have no problems with rust or putting down a fish rebellion.

I had 30Calsniper refinish my 1911 and he did a great job for only about $200 or so. He is here on the Hide. You should talk with him about it. The work he does is second to none!

I'd hard chrome, or NP3 it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would keep my trusty 1911 at distance from the salt air, and invest in some combat tupperware for them times i go hunting for tuna.....

i'm just sayin........... </div></div>

+1...If you want to stick with the 45ACP a G21 or XD in 45ACP will be good to go.

Thanks for all the replies. Dont have the money to do anything at the moment, but will look into coating it soon. Probable wont be back on the coast for a couple of months.

I like the idea of the G21 cause when you're fighting off pirates and guerillas (not go-rillas) the high cap mags will come in handy.

For the price of a good coating job you're over half way to a beat up used G21 that would be perfect for boat work.

I also like Birdsong Finishes. I have a Remmy finished in this stuff and I can't say enough good things about it.

If you use K-Phos then use the bake on KG I doubt it will ever come off, I coated a FAL bolt carrier and lower receiver, after many thousands of rounds there was no wear, pelling, or even chipping. K-Phos will make you very ill, use in a very very well ventilated area.

If you are looking to coat it. I'd go with NP3. Its a nickel teflon finish. Looks like matte stainless. I think Robar does the finish. Just my .02

SOTA

For cruising around on a jet ski I always had my SW5906 aboard. I always gave it a light wipedown with the birchwood casey spray and put it in a small tupperware bin. That whole package went into my front storage and it was not uncommon to open the hatch and have sea water coming out. The tupperware saved it and I never saw any corrosion after that.

If you want to spring for it the NP3 mentioned by others is the best finish in the business for carry guns, no need to lube and have yet to see any signs of corrosion on the pistols or rifle bolts I have coated.

BLACK-T by Birdsong. There's got to be a reason the government uses it so much on guns subjected to constant salt spray. Call Walter up and have him explain the stuff sometime when you have at least an hour to sit on the phone.

My 1911's live less than 12' from saltwater at my place in Florida. I've never seen so much as a single spec of any type of corrosion on them, including rust. I have had all manner of guns go to Birdsong for the Black-T finish and will probably send a few more this year.

Look into nitriding as well, it will improve barrel life as well as corrosion resistance. After nitrided, you can still coat with Duracoat, Cerakote, KG, whatever you choose for added protection.

-matt

I think you need to spend about 5 seconds with some CLP and a rag and that will never happen again, I bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Melonite. Google it. Won't wear off like some coatings do. </div></div>

That was my initial thought... but it will not be cheap.

Local smith can do a full Gun Kote job for $135. Will probable take it to him. Now just need to decide on color. Not real fond of the two tone stainless look. Thanks for the help.

DuraCoat comes in enough colors to drive you crazy... Picking a color is sometimes a big issue with customers...
grin.gif

safarigene,

I do not know if you had already made a decison to to coat your gun in an effort to prevent rust. However if you have not I would like to give you another option in coatings options. Cerakote Firearms coatings. I will not talk down any other products, however the third party testing results on you tube and on the NIC's website is pretty clear.

if you are intrested check out:
NIC Cerakote

IF you have any question please feel free to PM

I have a duracoated duck gun that gets cleaned at the beginning of season and at the end of the season and have not had a problem with it at all. I do not know how it will hold up to a salt bath though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like Birdsong Finishes. I have a Remmy finished in this stuff and I can't say enough good things about it. </div></div>

I heavily support this option.

That is precisely what birdsong's method is for. And its a chemical reaction with the metal. Durable as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like Birdsong Finishes. I have a Remmy finished in this stuff and I can't say enough good things about it. </div></div>

I've had good luck with Birdsong finishes.

Has anyone used their services after Walter's death? I've heard there were problems with customer service shortly after his death.

I sure would appreciate some recent first hand experience, because I have a couple projects that I would like that finish on.

Ionbond DLC is the route I went. Outstanding corrosion resistance, wears like iron and dosen't have that slippery feeling like some of the other coatings. I understand that this can also be applied to Stainless. Hope this helps, Mike.
Ionbond DLC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No CS problems..., ATF transfer of the FFL to Wally got bogged down, but all is good now. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply. I'm a big fan of the Birdsong finish.

+1 for Ion Bond - Ryan Flynn is here now.....and "phantom ??" is offering Ion Bond as well (complete brainfart on the hide member who is now offering Ion Bond)

Ion Bond (w/ hard chrome underneath), Hard Chrome, then Cerakote or NP3 or EZZOX, lube it..... IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long would it take to get Birdsong done? </div></div>

4 - 6 months

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...057#Post1064057 </div></div>

When I tried to pull up this post, I got no joy.

I've never had to wait that long and am wondering if that info is based on Walter's death?

Anyone used Birdsong recently and could give us a report?

I had a rifle done in march of this year. It took exactly five weeks to get it back. The quality of the work is the same, but the turn around time is faster.

Put it in a paint can full of mobil one 0w20 motor oil. Not only will it protect it but the longer you leave it in the more rust it will remove. Good way to conceal it also, like those cans of furniture wax that is actually a hide container.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long would it take to get Birdsong done? </div></div>

4 - 6 months

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...057#Post1064057 </div></div>

When I tried to pull up this post, I got no joy.

I've never had to wait that long and am wondering if that info is based on Walter's death?

Anyone used Birdsong recently and could give us a report?</div></div>

I've had two firearms coated by Birdsong in the past few months and another there now. The longest wait was right at 8 weeks. They are saying three to six weeks unless they get some gov work in.

I know they had some long wait times in the past but they seem to have expanded a little and are able to get things out faster.

Great guys to deal with! Everytime I go by there, I end up shooting the bull with them for at least an hour.

Ion Bond update from above

Ion Bond through Ryan F. and "tpowers" of phantomfinishing.

finally found the phantom.......brain fart finally dissipated.

Going to drop-off a rifle and 1911 they have some
Newer colors that I want to look at. If they don't
Have much gov work going on I was quoted 3 to 5
Weeks.
Hope that this helps

Give birdsong a call and they will email you the
Latest colors super nice people to deal with.
They have been upfront about lead times in
The past will let you know when they are swamped
Could't ask for more than that. Also will do as
Many color combos as you want for the same price