• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gun Curing Oven

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
Over the last few days I've been gathering parts and looking at drawings on the WWW. Yesterday, I built a Gun Curing Oven and tested it for heat and such. It works. For those that may be considering the same I decided to share this project with you and a cost break down.

First, the parts list

1-14 gun cabinet from Academy $175.00
2-sheets of 1" thick 4'x10' AC Duct Board $60.00
1-2000w to 2500w Electric Range Top Element $30.00
1-Element Receptacle $10.00
1-Universal 240 volt Thermostat $35.00
1-Box for motor switch, thermostat and main connection for power
1-1/100 HP Electric Motor and 6" Blade $45.00
10'-SJOW Cord $10.00
1-240v 20a Male Cord Cap $5.00
1-Brownells Bluing Thermometer $39.00

Assembly;

First, there are several electrical connections that must be made using 240 volts. I'll go back and dress my connections/wire up a bit, this was just temp to test the unit. The powers off and it's not hard but, use caution if your not familiar with electricity. You will have to have a 240 volt 20 amp circuit added for this oven, again not hard.

Strip the gun cabinet down to just the bare cabinet. Remove the locking mechanism. Measure and cut the duct board to fit snug inside the cabinet with foil to the inside, do the sides first, the top and then the bottom. If cut snug the duct board will stay in place.

Drill a 3/8 hole in the top, center for the motor shaft, I used a commercial single receptacle plate for my motor bracket. Install the motor and secure the cover with self taping screws. Wire and install switch. Using a 4 11/16 deep electrical mount the universal thermostat, drill a 1/4" hole in the center back of the cabinet for the thermostat censor rod to go through. Drill a 3/8" hole in the rear bottom for the heating element wires to go through and mount one of the boxes for your electrical connections and main power supply. Let the element sit on a brick during operation.

From the pictures you can see how it goes together; this oven reaches 350 degrees quick and maintains a temp between 260 to 360 degrees with ease. That’s the best I could get it to do with these components. I've also added a drawing for you, the one I went by.

Heres the drawing link;
Oven

23qxcm8.jpg

2dkzort.jpg

2a4sqki.jpg

2yud3ma.jpg

a3ccxw.jpg

mufpr6.jpg

This is where I make my other toys
grin.gif

fokwva.jpg

Re: Gun Curing Oven

Thanks for posting this. I bought a locker recently for this purpose but I need to replace the electronics because they're not working. Can it be done using 110v instead of 220? I'd rather not have to have a circuit put in for it if I don't have to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting this. I bought a locker recently for this purpose but I need to replace the electronics because they're not working. Can it be done using 110v instead of 220? I'd rather not have to have a circuit put in for it if I don't have to. </div></div>

The heating element will dictate the voltage. I dont know if a 120 volts element would get to 350 degrees, you could always try. You can add the 240 volt receptacle under your electrical panel if it's in the garage pretty easy,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tread</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that a smithy? </div></div>

Grizzly G4003G

Hey that looks familiar
grin.gif

Turned out real good.

Phylodog, You won't be able to generate enough power or heat with 110 you will be better off going 220.

great! now i know what i am doing with a similar gun cabinet that has just been in my way for a couple years now.

edit: i may also have to make provisions for some racks so it can double as a dehydrator to make lots of beef jerky
grin.gif

We did this a while back, but much cheaper. The way we did it was to go to a local heating and cooling shop and have them make us the body of the oven out of a really large piece of duct. They had all the tools and materials on hand to bend sheet metal in some pretty fancy ways.

In fact, we told them exactly what we needed and how we wanted it to work, and they turned it out for $40 (no electronics). Thing was 5 ft tall and looked/worked very professionally. The guy who did it was ecstatic that he got to do something...else...with all that metal for once.

We also drilled a hole in it and mounted a high-temp digital thermometer so we could have really accurate readings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....i have been around one of these ovens in my gun plumbers shop.....VENTALATION !!!
</div></div>

i about got kicked out of my house for using the oven in the kitchen. my meatloaf the next night tasted like moly-resin
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i about got kicked out of my house for using the oven in the kitchen. my meatloaf the next night tasted like moly-resin
laugh.gif
</div></div>

You save my ass being kicked at the last minute...

Along the same lines: don't borrow your wife's tupperware to soak motorcycle parts. Neither she nor the tupperware were ever the same afterwards. Bike ran great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnAE308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Along the same lines: don't borrow your wife's tupperware to soak motorcycle parts. Neither she nor the tupperware were ever the same afterwards. Bike ran great. </div></div>

she was <span style="font-style: italic">kind of</span> ok when she found car and gun parts in the dishwasher a few times. stinking up the house like chemicals is crossing the line i guess
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey that looks familiar
grin.gif

Turned out real good.</div></div>

Thanks, havent tried it yet but I will, very soon.

I've already used it several times. Works great and I would highly reccomend it to any one needing a baking oven.

Well done, looks good.
I've designed several of these kind of ovens at work. One or two points. For added safety, have two thermostats in line. Just in case one gets stuck in closed position or thermocouple dies.
At the fan we lead a bit of air out of the oven and let a small bit of fresh air back in. Lowers the chance of dangerous concentration of organic combustable substances.
A bit more expensive, an electronic controller to avoid over swing. We have added an old computer and can run any temp profile to cure composite stocks.
regards
edi

Yeah, it is a bummer when they come home early from shopping and wonder why there are gun parts hanging down from the top rack in the oven. It seemed pretty self explanatory to me, but, apparently, she hadn't considered "baking finish on gun parts" as the logical conclusion, just based on her response. It's a good thing she really likes me, or I would have been in trouble...again...

zold

You guys are probably looking at much more complicated solutions than I come up with but here it is. I have cured numerous Aks and FALs in a chimney tile oven. This is for informational purposes only. If you build it you might burn down the neighborhood.

2 10-12 inch square chimney Flu tiles. the terracota kind 24 inches long. 10.00 each
1 walmart hot plate 7.99. open case move rheostat blocking lever so you can turn the rheostat past the lock.
1 something to put on top to seal the hole I use a flat terracota planter dish 5.99
1 remote meat thermometer the digital kind with a probe on a braided cable. 13.99
1 roll heavy duty aluminum foil 4.99

line the inside of the tiles with aluminum foil. Otherwise it will not generate enough heat. Fix the hot plate as above and set both of the tiles end on end on top of the hot plate. Place a rod across the top. I used a dremel tool and a carbide bit to drill 2 holes in the opposite sides of the top tile to slide the rod through 1 inch from the top. This is to hang the rifle from. Set the terracota plate on top to seal the open end. Adjust the thermostat until it is where you want it. I think GunKote is like 325. Cure for 2 hours and turn off. Let the whole thing cool and remove the rifle.
You can make it any size you want and throw the parts away as they wear out. I have used smaller variants to coat pistols easily in 2 terracotta pots put open end to open end. Sorry if it's not what your looking for.
HTH
Rad

BTW Zold they really like it if you leave some oil or cosmoline on the parts you put in their oven. It smokes up the whole house. Not to mention it's a sign you didn't degrease well enough.
Rad

Hey William, I'm going to ressurect this old thread.

I recently saw a two burner propane heating element. It seems to me this would be easier to do with propane because I wouldn't need 220 in the garage. the question is will the burning propane produce fumes that could harm or discolor the finish on the firearm? Or would the open flame of propane be a fire/explosion hazard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....i have been around one of these ovens in my gun plumbers shop.....VENTALATION !!!
</div></div>

I was wondering about that!

110. is better than nothing, but try to stick with 220.

Make a better stand out of stuff you have.

We have an old one that would work for that!

Proper ventilation would not be an issue.

Thank's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey William, I'm going to ressurect this old thread.

I recently saw a two burner propane heating element. It seems to me this would be easier to do with propane because I wouldn't need 220 in the garage. the question is will the burning propane produce fumes that could harm or discolor the finish on the firearm? Or would the open flame of propane be a fire/explosion hazard?</div></div>

I would be slightly concerned about the open flame, but more so about the moisture. It seems that propane produces more humidity/moisture when it burns than the dry heat of an element.

Quote....from a camping website of all places: As if that wasn't enough of a reason for wanting to eliminate propane, a propane flame emits water vapor into the camper causing condensation and high humidity.

What wrong with just buying an electric outdoor BBQ? I had one before I moved and it was dedicated just for curing. I just pulled the grills and made racks to hold stuff by the action holes and went at it. I double checked the internal thermometer at several locations and made a deflector over the burners to get radient heat without hotspots. I would leave the little adjustable vents open so combustion was never an issue and it was oustide. I would just push it out to the back fence and never worried about the odor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">:snip:
I would just push it out to the back fence and never worried about the odor. </div></div>

that's what i do with my generator when the power goes out. i push it as far away from my house as i can get it but it ends up being next to my neighbors
grin.gif

i cooked some harley jugs,heads,cases and a traney in the oven one day abt 4 yrs ago, i still catch some s--t over it today. you know a mans gota do what he has to do to get the job done. sir you have a very nice set up.

When using an open flame carbon dioxide is an issue in closed shops/garages. I know Terry Cross's oven used an open flame at one time and may still. I opted electric and it was/is a non issue, works great and holds 325 degrees perfectly. I never have to run down and pick up a tank and the electric will never run out at an inopportune time. I've coated several rifles using this set up and I would build it again if I had to.

You can buy a catalytic converter for propane that is supposed to remove CO2. I have one for small propane cylinders to use in the garage when it gets too cold in the winter. Just be sure you don't have anything combustable around it.

After looking at this thread, I was wondering whether an electric smoker would work. Anyone know how hot those get?

If you really want to be a cheapskate, go to the dump and find an old stove. Make sure it's okay to take it home or strip the parts right there.

Got that advice from the appliance parts store guy when I talked to him about parts for said gun oven. I don't think he was really interested in selling me some parts.

Haven't acted on his advice yet, but it's on the list.

wnroscoe,
I do feel the need to comment on your oven. First-Awesome idea-second- I am very familiar with Ductboard and it is not rated to 350 degrees, I would very carefully watch this puppy when it is running. Something you might want to consider for your insulation is a product called Kaowool. It is basically a high temperature insulation used in boilers and kilns. You can get it at an insulation wholesaler. Normally I just lurk in the shadows and read all the great information that you all put out; but this was an issue of safety. There are very few things that I know well but insulation and heat transfer happens to be one of them. The Kaowool would also retain the heat for a longer period of time and cause the element to run less.

If you ever feel like getting silly with it here's one........
IMG_4885.jpg

She goes up to 1400F which isn't exactly needed but the price was right.
What is nice is the volume ability, consistant temp through out, and the computer control.

Here are my 2 ovens, i bought them on ebay and they come from a medical lab. I can easily get 6 barreled actions hanging verticaly in each, plus variouse small parts on the tray in the top. Think i paid 600€ for em both,, bargain, they work excellently, constant temp, fast run up, max is 230°C but thats plenty enough for firearms coating work. Its handy having 2 ovens as I can run one on a pre heat temp and the other on bake temp.
I do take a ribbing occasionaly about " Pete's Pistols & Pizza Bake Service" mind !!

PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

Pete

Kinda makes me feel bad about my 6" dryer vent pipe that has done amazing things over a propane stove.

Cheers,

Doc

Just thought I would bring this one up again for those that missed it.

Used it again tonight and the other day on Casey's 1911. Still works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we get to see any pics of the finished product? </div></div>

I'll get him to post a picture.

Here ya go

huk1kz.jpg

Yup! That's it; my new Clark-Roscoe Custom 9mm. Actually Jim's shop built it in .38 Special in 1981, a Heavy Slide, but I never was good enough to use it so I changed calibers and configuration.
I just finished cleaning this pistol (I think I'd never removed the firing pin / spring to clean) and inspecting Roscoe's paint job and Jim's smithing: SMOOTH.

I'll shoot it tomorrow and let you know, but for now Roscoe's does a superb paint job.

(Dawson .009" FO front, Novak adj rear, ROCO grips).

wnroscoe, I am all over this. I also built one based on what I found on the internet and a few revisions. I use it all the time. I will post list and pics when I get home tonight

Here's a pic of mine. Found a local guy who put it all together for me and he did a great job. I have to test and adjust the temperature before putting anything in it because the dial control isn't terribly consistent from one session to another but once you get it where you want it everything is good to go.
CIMG5272.jpg

Temperature control dial is on top. The heating element is out of one of the horizontal floorboard heaters and mounted in the back right corner. The back left corner holds a vent which draws air in from the top and circulates back into the bottom via a blower motor mounted in the bottom compartment.