• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Fit

Benjamin_Breeg

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi guys,

I’m putting together a rimfire trainer and have a question about stock fitting. This will be my first rifle that I will be shooting from the prone position and I am 6’3” with long arms and a long neck. I have my hunting rifles set up a little longer but I just went with what was comfortable since hunting in PA is generally <100 yard shots. I shoot a lot of shotgun and there is a lot of info and discussion about proper gun fit but I hear it mentioned about rifles but not much is laid out. Any rules of thumb? I did a search but came up with nothing specific. Thanks.

Re: Gun Fit

LOP for a rifle stock is measured from the inside joint of your elbow to the middle of the first pad on your trigger finger.... 13.5" is industry standard, but you may want a little extra length... May want to look into a stock with an adjustable LOP either by adding/removing inserts ala McMillan or dial type ala H&S Precision...

Elbow to finger is the general rule for shotguns, which I shoot a lot, wasn't sure for rifles. Would a rifle meant for prone-only differ in LOP from one used in multiple positions?

clothing and shooting position make for varying cheek weld and rifle position on the shoulder....and then there is the sling.....