• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun insurance?? Where do I get it?

slimguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
Albq., NM
Hey guys, it's getting to the point where I have more money in my guns than my vehicles. Who here has gun insurance? Where do I get it? Any ideas?

TIA,
Slim

Re: Gun insurance?? Where do I get it?

I just have a rider on my renters, a photo of each weapon, serial number and listed value, so if they are stolen, they have proof of ownership.

I contacted State Farm about adding a seperate policy to my homeowner's. Their rate is 20.00/1000/yr.

I also checked with the NRA. The NRA's rates are 17.40/1000/yr on guns you shoot and 6.40(maybe 6.70 I can't remember)/1000/yr on guns you do not shoot. This protects against fire, theft, and damage. I asked what she meant by damage and she said, "If you dropped it in a creek or whatever. It's covered."

State Farm required a list of models, serial numbers, etc. The NRA said to just tell them how much insurance you want. Additionally they only require that you notify them if any individual items are valued at $2500 or more. They only require serial numbers if the firearm is valued at $20,000 or more. Of course, you should have a list and pictures just in case you have to make a claim.

A friend of mine had a house fire a few years back. His were insured through the NRA. He had to provide pictures and then they determined what a 'fair market value' was. He used closed GB auctions, Guns America ads, and classifieds where similar items had been listed and sold. Huge PITA but in the end he was pleased with how it came out. He'd expected to get completely screwed but was able to replace most if not everything.

My State Farm rider lets me claim each part that is aftermarket as well, ie McMillan Stock, Rings, base, scope, bipod so that the main part of the first 5k goes only toward barrelled action or OEM rifle. The custom or aftermarket stuff is all seperated from it when it is singularly itemized by part

I am an inusrance agent in washington, most companies will let you add it as scheduled personal property whether it be your renters policy or homeowners. rates will vary company to company. typically it is best to takes basic pictures and have a list of serial numbers and values.

hope this helps

scott

I have AAA renters insurance. They just said to take out a policy for total value of everything I own. Guns are included unless they are used for work.

Thank you guys for the help. I think I'll check with my current insurance and also NRA. Thanks again guys.

Slim