• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun insurance?

solocam

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2013
Wisconsin
My collection of firearms, reloading gear and ammunition has grown to the point where it would be quite devastating if something catastrophic happened, whether it would be theft, fire etc. My insurance agent wants me to list out what I have, I’m a little hesitant to do that. What are you guys doing to insure your collection?

Here’s one of the threads in last couple years. If you search the site it’s been asked a few times recently

Give Cole a call at Gun & Trophy Insurance (also known as Cushman Insurance Agency, 5160 Parkstone Drive, Suite 130, Chantilly, VA 20151. You can find them online at www.gunandtrophy.com. I have a "blanket" policy that insures all my firearms up to $60,000 without having to itemize them. I researched this a lot and found Gun & Trophy to be highly reputable and honest. Give them a call at (703) 901-4899. They're really good people. If you have more than $60k worth of firearms, they can make a plan to fit your needs. Good luck!

sounds like a trap yea a list of all your guns way to easy for the government to swoop in and take that list . not that they need anymore of a list every gun you ever bought through an ffl is already being collected .

collect insure,

I am an FFL SOT and have a dealer policy with them for my inventory,
they offer private none dealer inventory as well

they will ask questions about alarms , travel, safe etc, but they do not want in inventory,
they just want to know how much you need in coverage, and general idea of what it is ( firearms, collectibles, accessories etc, )

never had to make a claim, yet, but easy to deal with setting up the account etc

Reactions: gnochi
Satisfied Collectibles Insurance client here. As @lyman says - no itemization, easy to deal with - but I've never filed a claim.

My experience is that standard homeowners policies are utter ripoffs when it comes to firearms and jewelry riders.

Eastern insurance is another recommended company. Only have to disclose a firearm if its valued over a certain amount (can't remember if it was $5k or $10k).
Been trying to give these Bozo's $ for a few years but their agent (Laura) assigned to my region is slow to respond on EVERYTHING. So slow that I'd rather overpay for my State Farm's policy because my agent of 15+ years responds back to me within half an hour (on avg) or even a few minutes. Excellent customer service is worth the extra cost sometimes.

Reactions: mountainboy
Been trying to give these Bozo's $ for a few years but their agent (Laura) assigned to my region is slow to respond on EVERYTHING. So slow that I'd rather overpay for my State Farm's policy because my agent of 15+ years responds back to me within half an hour (on avg) or even a few minutes. Excellent customer service is worth the extra cost sometimes.
Not my experience at all. Shoot her an email. She has always been super helpful to me.
Eastern insurance is another recommended company. Only have to disclose a firearm if its valued over a certain amount (can't remember if it was $5k or $10k).
It’s anything over $10k.

Give Cole a call at Gun & Trophy Insurance (also known as Cushman Insurance Agency, 5160 Parkstone Drive, Suite 130, Chantilly, VA 20151. You can find them online at www.gunandtrophy.com. I have a "blanket" policy that insures all my firearms up to $60,000 without having to itemize them. I researched this a lot and found Gun & Trophy to be highly reputable and honest. Give them a call at (703) 901-4899. They're really good people. If you have more than $60k worth of firearms, they can make a plan to fit your needs. Good luck!
What types of losses are covered by Gun & Trophy? What is the cost of the $48k (gold) blanket policy?

My USAA policy is $706 annually for the same total policy, but covers breakage and loss/theft for firearms and optics.

Eastern used to be the easy choice of recommendation. There's tons of conversations about the rep, Laura, becoming completely unresponsive in the last year or so.

I found out this year that my policy wasnt even renewed last year (spoke with her by phone, gave her payment info..promised a receipt in the mail..then more or less forgot about it).

This year I asked for a policy review..she emailed back once, and is now MIA as of 3 months+.

collect insure,

I am an FFL SOT and have a dealer policy with them for my inventory,
they offer private none dealer inventory as well

they will ask questions about alarms , travel, safe etc, but they do not want in inventory,
they just want to know how much you need in coverage, and general idea of what it is ( firearms, collectibles, accessories etc, )

never had to make a claim, yet, but easy to deal with setting up the account etc
Definitely easy to quote but the premium is 3-4 times gun and trophy premium. Note I didn’t bother to compare actual terms so there may be significant value differences based on policy provisions.

I’ve ran into the same issue with them…

FYI, Eastern has been sold by Hanover to Gallagher. All of a sudden, phone calls and emails were promptly responded to. I was also told by Laura that she will be getting more support soon as well.

I just got a new policy with them, through her, for about 45k in coverage, for $200..with no scheduling required. I believe they even had a 5% discount for being a member of a certain forum..

....how exactly do you get insurance on something if the company doesn't know the value.....or even if they exist?....

"Yes I would like to insure my car collection, it quite valuable, but I'm not going to tell you what cars I have, I just want them insured"

You are listing them to someone, whether it's your home owners insurance, or a private specialty insurance company.
For a rough asset class - declared value insurance is a straight percentage of the coverage you ask for. They bill you based on how many thousands you want - I think it starts around $150 for $30,000 in coverage, assuming you have a safe and alarm.

In the case of a claim, you’ll have to substantiate what was taken or destroyed with photos, serials, police report, etc - but until you file a claim, all they need to know is you have less than $50k in guns and optics and no gun is worth more than $10k individually.

Reactions: TACC
FYI, Eastern has been sold by Hanover to Gallagher. All of a sudden, phone calls and emails were promptly responded to. I was also told by Laura that she will be getting more support soon as well.

I just got a new policy with them, through her, for about 45k in coverage, for $200..with no scheduling required. I believe they even had a 5% discount for being a member of a certain forum..
Does your policy cover you losing or damaging an item?

Does your policy cover you losing or damaging an item?
Sort of - it’s full of restrictions - damage due to mold, rust, lack of maintenance, etc wouldn’t be covered. No “stupid is as stupid does” clause so you might get away with some damages.

Losses would need to be properly documented - would probably have to rise to the level of a police report (eg lost in transit, stolen from car etc).

I’ve got the same insurance and I really think of it as covering fire and burglary. Cheap peace of mind for losing a whole collection.

Sort of - it’s full of restrictions - damage due to mold, rust, lack of maintenance, etc wouldn’t be covered. No “stupid is as stupid does” clause so you might get away with some damages.

Losses would need to be properly documented - would probably have to rise to the level of a police report (eg lost in transit, stolen from car etc).

I’ve got the same insurance and I really think of it as covering fire and burglary. Cheap peace of mind for losing a whole collection.
That’s kind of what I expected. I currently have my insurance as a rider on my home policy through USAA. Covers stupidity like dropping your rifle/optics on rocks, driving over it, or just losing it. But, I pay triple for it.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Great information and experience here thanks for all if the input

Is coverage for related items such as binoculars, rangefinders, AMP annealer, Giraud trimmers, and specialty scales included?

In other words does the coverage cover all things reloading related, in addition to firearms, or is it strictly limited to only firearms and mounted optics?

Is coverage for related items such as binoculars, rangefinders, AMP annealer, Giraud trimmers, and specialty scales included?

In other words does the coverage cover all things reloading related, in addition to firearms, or is it strictly limited to only firearms and mounted optics?
IIRC my policy had $2500 of reloading equipment coverage as well as $5000 in ammo coverage (if I could ever have saved up $5000 worth of ammo without shooting it!!). Sport optics were covered as well.

I've been looking at going this route for awhile. I currently have a rider with USAA, but frankly the last couple years they have increased prices at an unacceptable rate for me. They've almost doubled my truck insurance in the last 2-3 years, meanwhile I haven't had an accident or ticket in 15+ years, and my credit score is north of 800, State Farm that I had before USAA quoted me basically half the price for the same coverage. When I called USAA to ask about the massive increases they just said that it wasn't anything I had done/was doing it was just prices increasing. One thing I don't like about their rider is everything has to be strictly documented, many of us modify/add parts onto our guns, and it all needs to be documented, and serial numbers etc. Optics, chassis, etc. if it's not "factory parts" it needs it's own line item. So you end up having to list scopes, mounts, stocks/chassis, etc. basically any aftermarket part or risk it not being covered.

Girlfriend's daughter also had a claim last year with USAA when her car was hit in a parking lot while she was at work, and we were not really impressed with them, they took quite awhile to respond etc. They've also increased her prices quite a bit lately, even before her claim. What I found very interesting was that when she asked why her prices went up so much, it was not her driving, claims etc. they blamed the state she lived in for charging them higher "insurance fees". At the time I lived in a different state, and when I asked USAA about my increases they also blamed my state for charging them higher insurance fees as part of the price increase.

Is there a difference in what type of incidents are covered between say a homeowner policy and these dedicated gun/collectable policies? It seems like the dedicated insurance policies are basically 80% cheaper than a rider......do they really offer the same coverage?

Last edited:
Reactions: DudeBro