• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun mounted cameras

bujayman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Anyone using a gun mounted camera?

I'm looking into the contour and the go pro.

The go pro seems to take better video, but the contour seems to be much better suited for fun mounting.

The drawback I am seeing is that for my use, which will be primarily hunting, what your shooting at is usually so far away it can't be seen very well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or have any other suggestion?

Re: Gun mounted cameras

I have been looking at them for video production. If I was going to buy today it would be the Contour HD. However GoPro just released the Hero2.

You can double check, but I believe the Hero has a wider lens than the Contour HD. For your purpose it sounds like you want the longest lens you can get.

You hit on what your primary limitation is going to be.

I will be trying to locate a Yukon MPR to attach to my Elcan Digital Daynight scope. Just for giggles on the AR or 10/22 but should allow for some video that last for more than 10sec.

Has anyone tried to mount a GoPro2 to the back of a scope with the LCD bacpac on it? Will it focus within the scopes field of view?

I have the contour HD and its an awesome camera. Super compact and you can get abunch of different attachments. You can mount it on your helmet or the gun rail or buy a headband mount for it. The Gopro can do the same thing but I think the contour is in a smaller package

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried to mount a GoPro2 to the back of a scope with the LCD bacpac on it? Will it focus within the scopes field of view? </div></div>

Sounds like a great way to get smashed in the face OR be so far out of the rifle you miss your shot.

Not everything has to be reality TV.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried to mount a GoPro2 to the back of a scope with the LCD bacpac on it? Will it focus within the scopes field of view? </div></div>

Sounds like a great way to get smashed in the face OR be so far out of the rifle you miss your shot.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Would be sweet way to capture a hog hunt or pin match if you could record the scope view. Hope someone can put their GoPro2 behind a scope and let me know
wink.gif
I want to record this years pin match as seen through the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried to mount a GoPro2 to the back of a scope with the LCD bacpac on it? Will it focus within the scopes field of view? </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

Would be sweet way to capture a hog hunt or pin match if you could record the scope view. Hope someone can put their GoPro2 behind a scope and let me know
wink.gif
I want to record this years pin match as seen through the scope. </div></div>

I'll try it tomorrow or the next day. My iPhone focuses well through a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried to mount a GoPro2 to the back of a scope with the LCD bacpac on it? Will it focus within the scopes field of view? </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
I want to record this years pin match as seen through the scope. </div></div>

I'll try it tomorrow or the next day. My iPhone focuses well through a scope. </div></div>

Thanks!

I went shooting and forgot to try it. But I got to thinking it would be a pain in the ass because the go pro has no led screen.

Just poking around YouTube I found these. Don't know how well it would hold up to actual recoil with a mount you would have to make yourself. I have a GoPro and use it on my head instead of on the gun. Below are two pistol videos I took.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEeN2vD0zYg&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEeN2vD0zYg&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

http://vimeo.com/20380721

http://vimeo.com/20380634

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ11oVUjb...lltHJ1u6hgdfG7j </div></div>

That looks like a nice light system for the 22lr. Might just get one for that.

OBXLongRange- thanks anyway, I just really wanted to see how sensitive the GoPro2 was to recoil and focus distance when used behind a scope. I might just step up amd get a system and try for myself. Will create a system similar to the front mount NV that clips to the rear of the scope.

The new Hero 2 has a narrower field of view (90 degrees) than previous Hero cameras which had very wide fields of view 120-170 degrees depending on the frames per second you were shooting in. The new 90 degree mode should be just the ticket, the only question is how the camera deals with recoil. I have several of the Hero 2's we use for underwater use and mounted on motorcycles and Mt bikes with no issues.

I will try to shoot some video with mine on my AR-10 and see how it turns out.

If you have a buffer tube style gun (think AR-15) then the GoPro mounts will work to me mounted right on the gas tub with the roll bar mount or handle bar mount. Then its just an easy matter of setting the camera at the right height and you are good to go.

On this subject, does anyone know what happened to Adirondack Optics?

They did a "through-the-scope" camera about 10 years ago and I got a chance to use one of their units on a moose hunt in 2004. I was friends with Terry Gordon, the founder, but we lost touch a few years ago.

I think USO was making some of their early scopes and/or prototypes.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I definitely would opt for the Go Pro. they make enough mounts something is bound to work. Most likely the Roll bar mounts.

I recently bought a Tachyon camera with picatinny mount from a member here. I really like it so far just playing around with it in the house. I'm going to mount it to my shotgun for a duck hunt this weekend. It is waterproof to 100 ft., but the housing makes for really bad sound quality. That's fine though, as it will mostly be for shooting.
-Dan

two years ago I attached a camcorder to my barrel for a deer hunt with two Velcro straps. Worked really well. I zoomed it in to 20x for 100-200 yard shots

It really wouldn't be difficult to fab up a bracket to attach to a 1913 rail with a 1/4-20 sud to mount a camera.

However, if you have ever looked at hand held footage at 10-20x you will see why it's not very appealing. With my canon EOS I have to lock it down to a tripod with a 200mm lens (about 6.4x) or the footage is un-usable.

With a rifle you may be able to film the killshot, but anything other than that will be pretty nasty looking. Wide angle video is easier to watch if there is some bouncing. This is why I think most POV cams are wide angle.

On a side note, the bracket from Amazon is on the way. I may not be able to do anything with it until after SHOT, but it should be fun. I am looking to do a steel target review, so a through the scope cam would be a neat shot.

I have used the Go Pro and a Sony 70x optical zoom mini camcorder. The go pro is great within 100 yards and has a wonderful field of view. The camcorder is much better further away but shakes too much when taking shots to see whats going on. I have gotten used to it and sometimes use both (for hunting). Between the two I am able to usually get a decent recording of what went down.

Don't put your camera on the bench (which is sounds like you are doing, hence the camera shake). Try a tri pod set it on another bench.

Another vote for the go pro.

With all of the options for the angle of FOV, quality, and FPS settings, there's the potential to do some really cool stuff.

I'm looking forward to capturing some 120fps shots soon. Should be enough FPS to get some cool slow-motion I'd think

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bujayman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using a gun mounted camera?

I'm looking into the contour and the go pro.

The go pro seems to take better video, but the contour seems to be much better suited for fun mounting.

The drawback I am seeing is that for my use, which will be primarily hunting, what your shooting at is usually so far away it can't be seen very well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or have any other suggestion? </div></div>

I was just given an excellent opportunity to get in on some Contour cameras. They were used at the first test-run zombie shoot in my area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3qGEFLBedtA

I was pleased enough with them that I am ordering at least 5 units for the classes I teach and for rentals. One of their accessories is a picatinny mount.

http://contour.com/products/contour-roam

A short duck hunting video from the Tachyon camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAwnjpfUjA&feature=context&context=G26cdfc5AUAAAAAAACAA

Overall, not impressed. The only sound it sort of picks up is gunshots. I don't care for the light sensitivity either. The bad sound quality is a problem with waterproof cameras in general from what I can tell. I may purchase something like one of the Contours one of these days.

-Dan