• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun mounted video camera recommendations?

Winchester59

Minuteman
Nov 9, 2013
Missouri
I would like to be able to video hog hunting and shooting prairie dogs with a gun mounted camera. Hog hunting would not be through a scope, just regular video, but shooting from a vehicle, off-road, at speed, can be pretty rough on equipment, so would need to be pretty sturdy & hopefully pic rail mounted. Due to the distances in prairie dog shots, I would like to be able to video through a scope. I have a new i-phone & getting used to it after having a Droid, but know very little about what's available in video equipment. Any suggestions appreciated.

Great, but expensive option: Torrey Pines Logic Deadeye

Less expensive, but will get the job done: MeoPix, Vortex Phone Skope, iScope, and a few others.

The new smaller go pros would probably work and I believe there are accessories for pic rail mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contour camera with a picatinny rail mount works well.

Attachments

• photo49396.jpg
    photo49396.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12
Update: I ran onto a new shooting/bow type camera: Tactacam, that I believe will fit the bill. It has 3x with 5x zoom magnification, slow motion option ect., with a decent looking mount for attaching to a gun barrel or bow stabilizer. Cost is similar to a starter Go Pro. Thanks for the previous suggestions!

Thanks! ^
Any of you have experience using the Contour? Is it a fixed zoom? Is it set & forget, in that you have no way of knowing what it's seeing, since there is no LCD screen on the back?
Just wondering how well something like this would be good for filming the impacts on target during a PRS stage.

I have a contour and use it on bike trips where it performs adequately. I took it to the range last weekend and the zoom is lacking at anything beyond 200yds. There is an ap that allows you to see what the camera sees in real time to set it up. If you want to video prairie dogs a setup like this would fit. Where your cell phone is mounted to a spotting scope or rifle scope.

Attachments

• photo48061.jpg
    photo48061.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 10