• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun related 3d printer files

702lineman

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
southern IL
I bought a 3d printer a while back and have been making all kinds of stuff, and thought maybe we could get a thread going of gun related files. I'll try and post a bunch up tonight off thingiverse . If you have any good ones you have made let's see them!!

I bought a 3d printer a while back and have been making all kinds of stuff, and thought maybe we could get a thread going of gun related files. I'll try and post a bunch up tonight off thingiverse . If you have any good ones you have made let's see them!!

I have a couple dozen designs I created using Autodesk software posted on thingiverse. Do a search for my username there and you should find them. Lots of reloading widgets, a Nikon 4k rangefinder arca mount, and a few others.

Same username as here.

I thought this was pretty cool so you can check scope ring height before ordering a set.

I thought this was pretty cool so you can check scope ring height before ordering a set.

Oh man I could really use those! I'm buying a scope with 34mm tube and 56mm obj and I have no idea what size rings to get. Wish I had a printer!

Oh man I could really use those! I'm buying a scope with 34mm tube and 56mm obj and I have no idea what size rings to get. Wish I had a printer!

If you really need a set, I’ll print them for you. You pay materials and shipping + $5. Should be around $20 total.

If you really need a set, I’ll print them for you. You pay materials and shipping + $5. Should be around $20 total.

Man that is really cool and if you are serious I am all over it. I'll send a PM. (y)

What 3d printer and software do you guys recommend?

Ok I have to give a big shout out to @zenbike . He is hooking me up with those rings so I can get set up right when I order the real ones. There are some solid dudes on this forum, zenbike is obviously one of them.

These will be great to keep in the toolbox and if anyone needs to use them later, I'll have them to share.

Reactions: zenbike
What 3d printer and software do you guys recommend?

Software is a wide range. I use Shapr3D on the iPad, Fusion 360 and Sketchup on the PC or Mac.

Lot of choices for Printers, too. I’m using a Prusa Mk2, and a lot of guys use the Creality Ender 3. The #cantstopthesignal dev boys mostly develop with Ender 3.

I really love my Prusa, it’s been rock solid and accurate. But they aren’t the cheapest bit of kit.

Reactions: Vidar

How long did it take you to print these?

I print carbon fiber reinforced filaments, on an ender 3. What printer are you looking at that’s 2K?

Ok I have to give a big shout out to @zenbike . He is hooking me up with those rings so I can get set up right when I order the real ones. There are some solid dudes on this forum, zenbike is obviously one of them.

These will be great to keep in the toolbox and if anyone needs to use them later, I'll have them to share.

60B420A7-1E01-457E-8F8C-64808AF575FF.jpeg

Reactions: atomic41
Some of the useful stuff I’ve done with my 3D printer or other DIY:

Pelican 1040 .22 LR ammo insert for Lapua/SK/Wolf racks
29EC2A97-09FB-41AB-954D-F2904E94E0FB.jpeg

Modified Amazon arca clamp to a 2-bolt attachment
081A7E77-2CA7-45FD-B988-ECC8604D3AF7.jpeg

Ruger BX-1 2 magazine + 200 rds.22 LR Pelican 1060 insert
195E52E9-C0C8-4539-B65C-39E0D78B7A5D.jpeg

24796641-C015-464C-8C9C-AE3FED3F5C70.jpeg

Vudoo magazine flag block with Logo
90CC9701-1DA4-491F-9B01-7CA2E167650B.jpeg

MDT ACC bag rider
06556E07-2CD5-4986-85DA-B3B4D6369217.jpeg

943C8532-F248-4198-91F3-12D52FE775D5.jpeg

Vudoo Mag extension
EB92DA51-ED64-49CC-9251-956CE42A937C.jpeg

Tikka T1x Extended Mag release
FC9A946A-F693-431D-994D-440A4AFC70B6.jpeg

100 rd. .22 LR ammo insert for Agency Arms barrel case
E677815B-BA2A-4313-A1D6-A70FCB809EF3.jpeg

Athlon Ares BTR Parallax Knob Wheel
21718133-066D-479B-8C95-BB9F872F776F.jpeg

420CE4E9-56F6-4CB1-995E-438FD20FCCA2.jpeg
A86CDF3D-F478-4952-9196-737551773876.jpeg

CZ 455/457 +3 mag extension
1848B7C7-9F10-44E0-A83A-775A0B003AAE.jpeg
03674872-E8D8-4A33-B048-D5BFA774DA02.jpeg

MDT ACC/Tikka T1x Mag Sleeve
2842B91A-8431-4EE2-B5D5-A04ADF7E7B60.jpeg
F8FD15EE-8CDD-48E6-AA0B-7F61338CCFDB.jpeg

Problem is that the one I want is $2k for printing carbon fiber reinforced filaments ;-)

I use an ender 3 also. For home use, don't see any reason to spend more money. Does really good. I use cura software, and tinkercad to design stuff. Thingiverse.com has pretty much 99% of anything you could ever want ready to slice.

Anyone have a source to purchase one of these witchcraft machines?

Had to start this print over, ran out of black filament about halfway through. decided that I should print doubles, as the original file only has one ring base per size.

Attachments

• D82263A2-B263-4F10-AA98-E071EA026EDC.jpeg
    D82263A2-B263-4F10-AA98-E071EA026EDC.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: atomic41
Anyone have a magneto speed mount file?

I’m looking at making a DIY Magnetospeed Chrono mount.

A couple questions about measurements, and its DIY practicality:

1. How far in front of your ARCA rail would it need to mount?
2. Printing a bracket to mount to an ARCA clamp is simple enough. it will require a 2 bolt ARCA clamp. Those run $60-75. Or you can mod a $15 Amazon Arca clamp like the one I posted above. is that mod practical for most folks?
3. To make the mount allow the bayonet to be position adjustable relative to the barrel, it will need to have 4 rods , each of which is 2-3” of aluminum, and the end of each rod will need to be drilled and tapped for a screw to mount it to its receiver block. That’s not too complicated a bit of machining with a drill press and some type of vertical fixture, but it has to be precisely parallel and centered in each of the 4 rods. If not, it just won’t work. How practical is that for most folks?

I think I’ll make one, just to work through the process, but I expect it will cost not too much less than just buying the MK Machining mount. I figure at the cheapest, a 16” long bayonet mount will run me $80 in materials, and a few hours work. if you can’t modify the Arca clamp, or if you have to pay someone to make the adjustment rods, it’s likely to be $100+, and not be as stable or durable as the machined version they make.

It will be a fun project though. 😁

Josh

Have you thought about making it to accept the MK Machine rods? They are pretty cheap.

I could, for that rod. But those aren’t the rods that are the difficulty.
those rods are also 5/8’ thick steel, and may be too heavy for a 3D printed block.

But it’s this set of rods & mounting screws that are difficult. They adjust & support the position of the block that holds that 5/8” steel MK Machining rod. Actually, given what’s involved in making this, I’m surprised it’s not more expensive than it is.

5B095631-6A41-48D2-9955-2D282AF1897B.jpeg

I’m thinking about replacing the rods with carbon fiber or aluminum tubing, then running a long machine screw thru the tube to attach it to the block?

that would add strength, and minimize the need for special tools...

And if the tubing was just large enough for the machine screw to fit through the tubing, it would support about as well as solid stock would. And it would be cheap to replace when the set screws inevitability damage the tubing.…

I hear ya. Ya, for what you get, the price is pretty cheap. I will say this, I wrench on my MK Machine version pretty hard to make sure it stays put. Not sure how something like a 3D printed version would hold up to large calibers.

I love my MK Machine mount, and will continue to support them. But, it sounds like a cool project for you to play around with.

I hear ya. Ya, for what you get, the price is pretty cheap. I will say this, I wrench on my MK Machine version pretty hard to make sure it stays put. Not sure how something like a 3D printed version would hold up to large calibers.

I love my MK Machine mount, and will continue to support them. But, it sounds like a cool project for you to play around with.

Yeah, I mostly would be using it for .22 LR. And if I was doing it for anything other than the learning aspect, I definitely would just buy one.

Google "ring height calculator"

I gotcha, the math on that is easy but I want to also fine tune my body positioning. So my theory is, before I buy rings for the new scope it would be great to try different heights and get that fine tuning done up front for cheap.

Google "ring height calculator"

That’s pretty useful, if you know all the numbers for everything. It doesn’t account for a canted rail, though, that I can see? It does hav canted mounts, and I guess you can sub those in?

That is cool! I wish I had known about that a few weeks ago as I now have a set of rings that are too short and I have to sell...

Yeah, I did the same thing on my last optic I bought. 3 sets of rings to find the right ones. That’s why I started looking at this, and printed myself a set when @atomic41 and I got together on his set.

Watch repair magnifier There are a bunch that are similar to this, just be sure you get one that has low (4-10x) magnification inserts - the 15-25x ones don't work for this application.

That’s a pretty cool hack. I like it. I might try to find a small magnifying glass, rather than a dual lens setup. Or is there a reason why the tubular optic is needed?

That’s a pretty cool hack. I like it. I might try to find a small magnifying glass, rather than a dual lens setup. Or is there a reason why the tubular optic is needed?
You only use a single lens in the turret magnifier - I just cut the watch repair "glasses" apart and used one side. It has a battery powered light built in and the lenses are changeable so you can use the magnification that works best for your eyes at the distance that yours ends up/needs to be from your turret.