• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun safe question

Mildot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2003
Central Indiana
I am wanting to buy a safe to put on the main floor of my home. The one I am looking at is a Liberty that weighs 660 pounds. My floor joists are 2"x10"s 16"OC with 3/4" 1"x8"s running on a diagonal over them plus a 3/4" layer of plywood over that, home was built in the early 60's. The safe dealer says the floor will support the safe no problem but I am a little concerned about them moving it to the room where it is going to stay and damaging the new carpet and pad in the process, not to mention the floor sagging over time. Putting a support under the floor joists is not an option.

Should I be worried?

Re: Gun safe question

It may be close, but check with your local building inspector regarding construction code for the time your house was built. Typically, it's around 125-150 lbs/sq' (live load). Regarding the final location, attempt to get as close to a load-bearing area supporting the floor.

What are the dimensions of the safe? Do a quick calculation: 660+load/area sq' = lbs per sq'

Regarding moving it across padded carpet, get some 3/4" plywood and cut for "runners" for the two-wheel or furniture dolly.

While the weight of the safe empty is not as much of a concern as it is loaded. I put ammo and guns in mine plus the wife has "important papers" in there as well. I had my safe sitting on the same situation as you at my last house. I put it as close to a pier line as possible. I was able to set my over a load bearing section in the room which had a pier under it and a drop girder. I had no issues, lived there 5 years. The runners are fine for those that use them. The company that moved mine used some 4' and 5' pieces of uhmw I believe thats what it was called. Like a white piece of plastic cut in 3" strips. Used those as sliders and kept moving them through the house to they were able to get to my hunting room.

See if per chance where you want to place the safe is over a pier. If so, no worries.

Is there a crawl space you have access to under the floor? If so you could use some joist hangers and 2x6s to reinforce the floor.
You might also place it in a corner. Those will be less prone to sagging than in the middle of a room against the wall.
Our local Ace hardware has some plastic sliders that we use to move heave concrete lined fire-proof file cabinets. That would spare your carpet.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to look for a smaller safe, I have a big safe in the basement but wanted a second one on the main floor. Browning makes a Theftgard series with a model that would fit perfectly into a small linen closet I am not using, I am sure it is probably a cheaper quality safe though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: everyreggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ice for mashed carpet??? I'm interested tell me more!</div></div>

I'm curious now too, ice?

Something to keep in mind with a first floor placement of a safe... If you have a basement and there is a fire the safe will end up in the basement.

I always wondered how many safes fall through the floor during fires. I know people that will not put their safes in the basement due to fear of flooding.

Also good to know about the ice.

I am not worried about flooding. Unless I am dealing with several feet of water over a period of weeks, like Katrina, I am not going to stress about a foot or two of water for a day or so. The chances of that are less than a serious fire or theft. Besides, most water damage is easier to repair than fire damage.

Most serious house fires tend to have less fire/smoke damage in the basement than anywhere else in the home.

Two things (among many) to consider when installing a safe.

One is that most people only look at structural issues where the safe is being placed. Just as important is the route that the safe takes on it's way through the structure to it's final destination. Not only are you dealing with a moving mass of "dead" weight but more often than not that weight is now concentrated on up to four "pressure points". When the safe is resting in place it is usually setting on a flat, smooth base of some sort, dispersing its considerable weight evenly over a broad surface. While moving it may be on rollers, casters or a cart/handtruck of some sort, concentrating all that weight on a few individual points not always directly over a floor joist or beam. You'd be surprised just how little it takes to punch a caster sized hole through a piece of sub-floor. Not that I've ever done that.

With regard to the second floor, first floor, basement issue. If there was any sort of living space under the position the customer designated for the safe/vault to be set we would respectfully decline. First, we are not structural engineers and would never attest to the integrity or load capacity of a given structure. Way too much liability. Secondly, while the clients and their families/employees were certainly important, my personal issue was that I would not knowingly place emergency personnel or first responders at risk by placing a very large, heavy safe or vault over their heads during a time the floor may be compromised due to fire or earthquake. Most units we installed were at a minimum of 1500 lbs. (small residential units). Even those little guys would leave a helluva mark on some unsuspecting fire fighters head, helmet or not.

Take it or leave it. Just some things to ponder.

Borrowed a set of safe jacks from the local school district to move my safe in and around my house. It was a snap!