• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safes: how to select and why.

McCrazy

Your tax $$$ no longer at work.
Minuteman
  • Jun 4, 2008
    Texas
    This thread is meant to share my experiences in weapon storage and gun safes. I have never seen a comprehensive gun safe thread so here is my attempt at the reasons behind having safes, as well as criteria to evaluate them based off my experience a couple years ago. Hopefully it is worth your time to read, and I am in no way affiliated with Fort Knox, Cannon, or any other gun safe company.

Several years ago after I had accumulated several firearms I decided I needed a better way to protect them than having them in unlocked transport cases under my bed. Having several thousands of dollars tied up in these weapons I decided to buy a safe. Not being particularly wealthy I purchased if I remember correctly an American Eagle gun safe which is a sub-brand of Cannon. It was a decent safe with an electronic lock, bolts in the doors, and a minimal amount of fire protection. I found it on eBay from a safe wholesaler about 40 miles away so I went and haggled with him and loaded up the safe in the back of my truck to save shipping fees. I think it cost me about $600-$700 and I sold it 7 years later for $400 to a friend. The couple hundred bucks of depreciation was well worth the peace of mind. The American Eagle only got sold because I bought a new safe.

After several more years of collecting and getting into the rather valuable precision rifle specialty of weapons it was time to get something better than a $600 safe to protect my investments. I shopped around for months; reading online, going to gun stores and hardware stores to check out their safes (all really low end from what I saw), etc. Eventually I bought a Fort Knox safe from a gentleman named Gerald Clifton in Dickson, Tennessee. If anyone is in the area and looking for a nice safe I highly recommend him and he can be reached at 615-446-5413. Fort Knox does not sell directly to the public and do not list prices in their catalogs so you have to contact a distributor. Gerald sells well below MSRP however.

Selecting a safe- You have to look past gadgets and determine what is going to actually protect your investments (guns, gold, jewelry, documents, cash) from disaster and criminals, while fitting your situation and your budget. What follows are some things to consider.

Disaster- On a disaster side we have floods, building collapse, and especially fire. I am not going to get into earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. Any half decent gun safe should stand up to a building collapse of a normal residential home. If you live in a high rise or an apartment building you may have to consider that though. Sorry, but most gun safes aren't water tight and have holes to allow plugs for dehumidifiers to go in and the seals on the door are for fires not water.

Fire- Speaking of fire, this is the most common occurrence to attack your safe, not criminals. Our weapons won't dissolve if they get wet for a little bit but get them hot enough and you will have major problems. A good fire rating is the best thing you can do to protect your belongings. Fire ratings are handled by temperature and time based on the heat level reached inside the safe that would cause paper to char. If you live in a residential area where fire trucks will arrive quickly you can probably get away with a 30-45 minute fire rating and with the money you save get something with a higher temperature rating or better features. If you live in the boonies you may want a safe with a 2 hour rating so your house can burn all the way down around it while you wait for the fire department to arrive. 1,200 degrees is a good temperature rating to withstand normal household fires but higher is available. Fort Knox throws there safes in an oven and heats them up pretty much instantly to there temperature rating and measures the time they last. Most other safe companies gradually increase the heat over a given time and sell their safe based on the max time and temperature they were able to reach. Shady, but it isn't regulated and you have now been warned. The seal around the door I mentioned earlier that is not for water is there to expand upon heat being applied in order to block smoke from entering the safe and damaging documents.

Criminals- When many people think of safes they imagine some impenetrable fortress that will thwart a master thief's attempts to steal their treasures. If you buy with this mindset you may pay for way more protection than you need. Most burglaries are smash and grabs were the crooks are looking for something valuable they can take quickly before the police arrive or anyone notices. Generally if it would take them more than a couple minutes to break into your safe they won't bother. So, how do you get a safe that will stand up to attack for a few minutes? There are a few ways most crooks will try to attack your safe: prying the door open; defeating the lock; cutting through the side; or busting the hinges.

Bolts- Get one with bolts on at least the left and right sides of the door to protect from prying attacks but all 4 sides is better. Really cheap safes come with a flap of metal directly attached to a lock and they don't offer much protection. Cheap safes come with bolts but often only on one side. If that cheap safe has external hinges that the burglars attack then as soon as they bust the hinges they have access into the safe. Higher end safes also come with corner bolts as corners can be attacked but these are largely unnecessary if the door is adequately designed as bending a corner of the door won't grant access as long as other bolts on the sides keep the door shut. Safe makers tout how thick their bolts are and how numerous they are but be sensible as to how much force a couple humans can apply with pry bars. Bigger and more is only good up to a point.

Hinges- Internal hinges are more secure than external hinges in that they are protected from attack by the walls of the safe. If you only have latches on one side of your door and the burglar takes out your external hinge they have access to your stuff. Ball bearing hinges are a nice plus but a creature comfort.

Locks- Ensure the lock is UL listed and not some knock off as it is a weak point for thieves. SG (Sargent and Greenleaf) are common and reputable but there are others. I wanted a biometric on my Fort Knox but it wasn't economical as I found most safe manufacturers want about $500 to upgrade to a biometric. I went with another electronic touchpad as the fine motor skills needed to spin a dial as well as needing light during an urgent situation did not appeal to me. A lock with relockers is a good idea as when tripped they basically block a thief's attempt to manipulate the lock and they now need to try something else.

Metal thickness- Many safe manufacturers seem to try to hide the thickness of their metal. Many economy safes will have doors only 14 gauge or even 16 gauge thick. This obviously makes it easier to pry open, cut into, or drill through and the door is the most likely point of attack. My suggestion would be to get at least 12 gauge but 10 would be better. Obviously the quality of metal comes into play as well but metallurgy is not my strong suit. Additionally, the thicker metal gives you the advantage of weight making it harder for criminals to move your safe or knock it over to make it easier to attack with pry bars.

Placement- Put your safe somewhere inconspicuous. Limit the amount of people who know about it. Having it in your garage in plain view every time your garage door is open is not a good idea. Nor is having it sitting next to a bunch of tools for the robber to conveniently use to break into it. Bolt it to the floor preferably to concrete as it makes it harder for criminals to knock the safe over and attack it with pry bars or carry it off so they can open it later.

Liability- Many states have laws against leaving firearms unsecured and you can be held liable if a crime is committed with one of your weapons or a child finds it and hurts themselves or someone else. Even if it isn't against the law specifically, no body enjoys being sued. Theft and damage are not your only enemies.

Bottom line- Get a safe of some sort.

Last edited:
    This thread is meant to share my experiences in weapon storage and gun safes. I have never seen a comprehensive gun safe thread so here is my attempt at the reasons behind having safes, as well as criteria to evaluate them based off my experience a couple years ago. Hopefully it is worth your time to read, and I am in no way affiliated with Fort Knox, Cannon, or any other gun safe company.

Fire- Speaking of fire, this is the most common occurrence to attack your safe, not criminals. Our weapons won't dissolve if they get wet for a little bit but get them hot enough and you will have major problems. A good fire rating is the best thing you can do to protect your belongings. Fire ratings are handled by temperature and time based on the heat level reached inside the safe that would cause paper to char. If you live in a residential area where fire trucks will arrive quickly you can probably get away with a 30-45 minute fire rating and with the money you save get something with a higher temperature rating or better features. If you live in the boonies you may want a safe with a 2 hour rating so your house can burn all the way down around it while you wait for the fire department to arrive. 1,200 degrees is a good temperature rating to withstand normal household fires but higher is available. Fort Knox throws there safes in an oven and heats them up pretty much instantly to there temperature rating and measures the time they last. Most other safe companies gradually increase the heat over a given time and sell their safe based on the max time and temperature they were able to reach. Shady, but it isn't regulated and you have now been warned. The seal around the door I mentioned earlier that is not for water is there to expand upon heat being applied in order to block smoke from entering the safe and damaging documents.

Bottom line- Get a safe of some sort.

Great writeup. Thank you for that.

One suggestion I was given and utilized was having the safe mounted in the garage. The garage experiences much lower heat during a total burn than anywhere else inside the house. The hottest part of the house during a fire is the upstairs.

I also did not see anything regarding mounting. I would recommend having the safe mounted to something solid, preferable the concrete slab foundation of the house or garage. I heard that the majority of the safes are simply carried away when they are not mounted.

Just my two cents gents.

My placement paragraph mentions bolting the safe to the floor as well as issues to be found in the garage. I didn't state not to put the safe in the garage but did recommend not to have it easily viewed from the street with the doors open, and I should add don't store things like gas cans right next to it.

When we put two new safes in my friends house we used hammer drill and put 6" lag bolts through the concrete foundation, then cut his wood paneling to have a semi neat hole and put 1 in each corner of the two safes so 8 total. It is the same lag bolts we use to hold Ibeam up in place at work while we make welding jigs for production pipe welding. If it can hold a 40" OD 1 1/2" thick 20' joint of pipe im sure no one is getting away with that safe.

Yes the above video is abound with useful info for anyone in the market for a quality safe. I'd definitely suggest paying close attention if you're not sure what to look for in a quality gun safe.

I see that there are two levels of theft protection.

1) The "casual" thief, a person who breaks in, and grabs what they can.

2) A determined thief, one who goes in with more skills and knowledge and goes after high dollar things, including be prepared to deal with a safe.

Many of the lower end safes are fine for #1. But for #2, you need a really serious safe. And you get into serious money in the safe. Of course, if you have the items to protect, it is worth protecting them and getting a good safe.

One thing in my reading about safes, many companies tout a thick door, then have very THIN side metal. Thin enough that a fire axe will cut through it. SO you need to get reasonable side thickness, or prevent access to the sides.

Securing the safe to the floors and walls is VERY important. If they can get the safe on its back, they can exert a LOT more force with a pry bar. Also, think about limiting prying access with the safe upright. A wall along the opening side of the safe that limits the pry bar attack angles can help.

Some people have done thin concrete walls on each side of their safe and on top to limit access and make it more secure. It also helps with fire proofing.

There is a good article on 6mmbr site on safes.

I see that there are two levels of theft protection.

1) The "casual" thief, a person who breaks in, and grabs what they can.

2) A determined thief, one who goes in with more skills and knowledge and goes after high dollar things, including be prepared to deal with a safe.

Many of the lower end safes are fine for #1. But for #2, you need a really serious safe. And you get into serious money in the safe. Of course, if you have the items to protect, it is worth protecting them and getting a good safe.

By my guess I think a 10% rule is a decent number to go by in order to have some protection but not blow your budget. For example if you have $6000 in valuables you want to secure, have a safe worth at least $600. If you have $20,000 in valuables be willing to spend at least $2,000 on a safe. In this arena you really do get what you pay for and of course you need to consider if you are planning on expanding your collection in value as well as size.

In reference to size many safe builders tout the amount of guns their safes can hold. At best, expect to be able to fit about 66% of that or even 50%. To fill to max capacity your guns would have to be narrow rifles and shotguns crammed on top of each other and difficult to access; not bolt guns with scopes, knobs, and tactical bolt handles sticking out.

In regards to external vs. internal hinges, I've read arguments that external hinges can be better. They give up nothing if destroyed, as they are not what keeps the door closed...that's the job of the bolts. If external hinges are smashed/cut off, the door is still closed/secured because of the bolts, and the thieves have just wasted a LOT of time for nothing.

In regards to external vs. internal hinges, I've read arguments that external hinges can be better. They give up nothing if destroyed, as they are not what keeps the door closed...that's the job of the bolts. If external hinges are smashed/cut off, the door is still closed/secured because of the bolts, and the thieves have just wasted a LOT of time for nothing.

True, but only if bolts are on at least two sides like I mentioned.

I forgot to mention it in my original post but the best way to protect your safe from being attacked for a long duration and also protect the rest of your house is to get an alarm. Most burglars will flee as soon as the alarm goes off which will save you from having to get a new safe or repair your old safe after it has been hacked up as seen in the video.

Nice video by the way, thanks for posting it HH4. Explains many of the points I tried to make by watching a 27 minute video instead of reading for 5 minutes. The video is probably more entertaining to most modern humans.

A good quality safe is the next thing on my list of things to purchase. I've started the research, but it's been challenging to make sense out of all of the available information. So this post is both timely and helpful Thanks much!

External hinges on virtually all safes are only there to keep the door from falling on your foot when opened. They do not have anything to do with security. And frankly, the only time I've seen internal hinges on gun safes is for the low end stuff.

Bolts on one side are fine if the safe is using proper dead bolts on the opposing door side. In fact, it can be less to go wrong mechanically as the linkage is simpler so it does not mean it is less secure. The main problem with a lot of gun safe bolt linkages is that they are subject to certain types of brute force attacks rather than not enough bolts. Honestly, most guns safe makers would do their customers better by putting in fewer gleaming bolts and using the money instead to put heavier steel on their safes.

I wouldn't buy any safe that doesn't have at least 1/4" plate steel door thickness and 1/2" plate steel is better. Poured fire lining is also better than gypsum board most makers use. Many makers wrap thin sheet metal around gypsum board to make a safe look thicker when it is not.

For locks, get a mechanical for reliability and electronic for convenience. Expect sometime that the electronic lock may go down. First thing to to always try is a new set of batteries, but it may have to get drilled.

For the money the Amsec BF series is bar none the best value on the market. It's no contest as it has a true 1/2" plate steel door and poured fire liner material that offers better burglary and fire protection than other methods. Amsec also offers a lower rating safe with a 3/16" plate steel door that is cheaper than the BF but still decent security compared to others. It's not 1/4", but it's close enough and is well made for the price.

After Amsec the next step up in my opinion is Graffunder.

Last edited:
    RedHead Safe Broken Into. - Maryland Shooters

One thing this thread on another forum brought to my attention was that for many lower end safes, the bolts may be large, but they are short and attached to a flimsy bar. So they can be leveraged back into the door.

This also shows why you want the safe to be secured against being tipped over.

Safes to little to protect guns or contents from smoke damage in a fire. Having been in houses after a fire, I have never seen the smoke seal expanded. I don't know the temperatures required to start the expansion, but home fires don't appear to get that hot. Safe doors are far from airtight and the guns inside quickly corrode from the compounds/moisture carried in the safe with the smoke.

I still stand by my comments on gun safes I made four years ago on this site:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...equipment/26665-best-gun-safe.html#post384528

I re-post these comments here because there is so much bad information on the internet about safes. Most gun safes people buy are not good quality.

I am in the safe business so let me add a few things here.

The best gun safe when price is no object are from Graffunder. I've seen a lot of gun safes and I don't think anything compares to them. They start at a insurance "B" rating (1/2" plate steel door and 1/4" walls) and go up to E Rate which is 1 1/2" plate steel door with 1" walls as well as custom options. They use a poured concrete-like fire liner giving even their 1/4" wall safes about 2" of thickness and a good burglary and fire resistance. Thicker safes offer even better protection:

Graffunder Safe and Vault Doors from Sage Safe Co. | Residential and Commercial safes and storage vaults

The best gun safe for people on a budget are the Amsec BF Series Safes. They have an honest 1/2" plate steel door and also have a poured light concrete fire liner and inner steel wall giving the safes also almost 2" of protection from fire and burglars. Their HS series safes are even heavier and feature a true UL listed burglary rating from a TL-15 to TL-30 (Tool resistant ratings):

BF Series safes start at around the mid-1000s and go up from there:

http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-BF-main.htm

The HS series are higher priced, but much heavier safes:

http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-HS-main.htm

Amsec is a true safe company. What I mean by that is they make commercial safes for their primary business. The BF series Amsec safe is FAR more secure than even the best major brand gun safe you commonly see.

The Graffunder can be had for the price of the high-end mainstream safes you see and completely blows them out of the water in terms of fit, finish and security. There is no comparison.

Electronic locks vs. Mechanical. Honestly there isn't much difference in overall security for most applications. Burglars don't manipulate locks open. They tend to attack them with hand or power tools. I've never seen a safe professionally drilled open by a burglar to bypass the lock. It takes many thousands of dollars in specialized equipment, drill bits, bore scopes and knowledge to do this and the average meth tweaker just doesn't have these things.

What they do have though are those power tools you left in your garage next to your safe and that big crow bar you left leaning up against the wall next to the sledgehammer. So worry more about how much steel your safe has on the door and walls and not whether they are going to bypass the lock. Make sure the safe you have in your home can withstand the power tools you also have there because they can, and often are, used to attack safes.

With that said, my personal opinion are mechanical Group I type locks (manipulation resistant) are the most secure and also the least likely to break (no motors and solenoids to go bad). HOWEVER, they are not as fast to get into either. If you want a reliable electronic lock I'd lean towards the LaGard brand and would avoid the Sargent and Greenleaf electronic locks (although their mechanical locks are great). Other electronic lock brands fall between these two extremes for reliability. IMO. In short: Electronic locks = convenience. Mechanical locks = reliability. You have to pick one or the other. Mechanical locks can fail and cause a lockout, but this is far more common with electronic locks.

Bolt down your safe. I don't really care how heavy it is unless it's something more than a couple thousand pounds. I've seen very large safes stolen. It happens all the time. If someone got the safe into your house, then it can be gotten out. One man with an appliance dolly can remove a typical gun safe if you think about it. So go to the hardware store and spend 10 bucks on some anchor bolts and tie that thing down to your foundation. Any safe, no matter how strong, is going to be opened if the crooks get it back to their own shop and have time to work on it.

Safes are lightning rods for burglars and you can be sure that if they come across your safe when in your home it's going to draw more than casual attention. So that means you need it to be able to withstand protracted and perhaps brutal attacks for many minutes, or perhaps longer. The only way to make sure this can happen is for the safe to have lots of steel in it and perhaps some concrete of some type. The Graffunder and Amsec safes do this. Other safe brands you commonly see do not. Be sure to bolt these other safes down as that will increase their protection.

You should also place your safe out of obvious view (for instance I wouldn't put it in a garage where someone could see it from the street). I also would tend to put it in a corner with perhaps the opening edge closer to the wall (so door opens away from the wall and not towards it). Why? Because by doing so you make it harder for someone to get pry tools to work on the opening edge with the wall in the way. It's much harder for them to get leverage as they will hit the wall when putting the biting edge of a crow bar on the opening side.

Bolt Work: Honestly this is just a marketing gimmick. More bolts does not mean a safe is more secure necessarily. It may just mean it's more prone to failure as there are more linkages to go bad. I've worked on very large high security Jeweler's safes with just <span style="font-weight: bold">eight</span> bolts (insured to hold $1,000,000+ in jewels). There is no way that these gun safes with 32+ bolts on them are more secure than those jeweler's safes. So don't worry about number of bolts. Worry about how much steel that thing has in the walls and door.

Other things in a safe to avoid are people claiming that internal hinges are "more secure." This is a myth. Hinges on a properly designed safe just keep the door from falling on your foot when it opens. They shouldn't affect security if cut off. I'm also leery of putting in those electric dehumidifiers just in case they have a problem and ignite everything inside your safe. I also wouldn't store my ammo in the safe as it could cause problems during a fire.

In closing, gun safe companies put out a lot of hyperbole. The thing that matters most is whether the safe has lots of steel in the door and walls and whether they are using a poured insulating layer for fire protection and not drywall. Most gun safes do not have these features. The Graffunder and Amsec BF and higher series safes do.

Last edited:
    The more steel the better. Here is my old Fort Knox Titan. The inner liner is thicker than most safes outer skin.

Placed in the kitchen it looks like a freezer to most people walking by.

FortKnox.jpg

Last edited:
    I am in the market for another safe, good info in this post. I was planning to wait until I purchased a larger house, but I am getting tired of playing jigsaw puzzle to get everything in.

Mentioned in the other thread was an interesting idea.

Multiple safes. Means the thieves have to breech more than one to get to everything. Also, they may not find or even look for a second one.

Taking that a step further, a relatively inexpensive safe, that is more obvious, with less valuable (monetarily or emotionally) for them to work on, while the good stuff is in less obvious one.

Taking that a step further, a relatively inexpensive safe, that is more obvious, with less valuable (monetarily or emotionally) for them to work on, while the good stuff is in less obvious one.

Or, well hidden, and not in a safe at all.

If someone wants into your safe they will wait in your house until you get home and hold a gun to your or your family's head until you open it. So don't worry about the distraction stuff. Get a heavy safe with lots of steel in the doors and walls and bolt it down so it can't be attacked when you aren't home. That's the main thing is make sure that safe is heavy and can't be moved. Also be discreet about who knows about it so they don't blab to their deadbeat cousin and friends who think they should find out what's in it. Also consider having an insurance rider on the firearms if they are very valuable. Everything else is gravy in terms of hiding it, etc.

As for alarms, put an alarm connected smoke detector over your safe if you can. On most alarm systems the fire circuit is monitored 24/7 regardless of the armed condition of the main panel. Also when fire alarms go off they are rarely ignored by dispatchers the way burglar alarms are in many cities. So if someone is working your safe over with power tools it will set off the smoke alarm and the fire department will dispatch. Nobody is going to stick around with a fire alarm going off and fire sirens coming to the home.

Last edited: