• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Safes that Can take an Axe hit...Amsec, Sturdy

soapboxpreacher

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
We pretty much know a 12 gauge will not hold up. And a 10 gauge isnt much better. Sturdy and CE Safes new Fort Knox with 7 gauge can take the hit. But will something like a Amsec BF? I am only talking body here not the door for all the doors are typically thick enough to hold off anything. But the Amsec body is a different ball game. It is only a 10...11 gauge body but it is filled...and not just filled but poured inbetween two layers one 10-11 gauge and the other 14 or so. The filling is similar but not quite concrete. it is far and away different to drywall. But would it hold up to an axe attack?

Another question...Sawzal or even an angle grinder...how well does the Amsec hold up? The DryLight is different so I dont really know. Obvious the 7 gauge Sturdy and Fort will do alright for a while...no safe is gonna stop every attack. So I am just curious for I have narrowed down my search to these few safes.

If you sandwich a concrete like substance between two pieces of steel (in which it is formed to it) I would assume it would hold up quite well add to the fact that it cannot be displaced easiy (this is very key) because if the material cracks inside or breaks...it has nowhere to go...still providing a ton of strength. Like taking a cinder block and wrapping all side tightly with steel...no air gaps...then hit it with a sledge...it will do much better than if it wasnt wrapped...same can be said for the steel by itself it wont hold up by itself very well at all.

Is anyone else curious? There is so much good and so many that recommend the Amsec but since it is not a straight forward design it is hard to determine for the laws of physics are a little more complicated. And for those that say Dry Light is just for Fire it isnt. Amsec clearly states it is for fire and protection...burglary! So there is more to their process then what we think.

Re: Gun Safes that Can take an Axe hit...Amsec, Sturdy

a fire fighter with a diamond blade on their circular saw will get into ANY SAFE!

I'm thinking that most of the gun safes out there are a good deterrent to snatch and grab criminals, but a pro wants to get in your safe and knows he has the time and right equipment then your probably SOL.

Safes are for peace of mind. Basically the more you spend the more peace of mind you'll get. But like 78steeler said with enough time no safe is safe.

I believe there are 3 bag guys in the world

1-Oppturenty predictor. Break in when your not home. Might try the safe to make sure its locked, may grab something of opportunity and smack the safe a few times, but is more interested in grabbing your big screen and getting out the house.

2-Professional. This guy may kidnap your family and force you to open it (doesn't matter what kind of safe you have then) or bring / is a professional safe cracker. Going to research you & figure out when s/he has the largest window. Has the tools & skill to get into most anything short of Fort Knox.

3- Drunk / high. This is the guy that is on bath salt and try to eat the door off your safe.

I think a safe is great, I have one. But I believe that most 'safes' will protect against 1 & 3 and I know that anything I can afford wont be shit for #2 to go through, however I highly doubt I am a target of a pro as to my humble ownings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a fire fighter with a diamond blade on their circular saw will get into ANY SAFE! </div></div>

First of all.... why would a fire fighter be breaking in to my safe?

And secondly as soon as that saw were to fire up.... 12 gauge is getting racked and he won't here anyone coming up behind him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking that most of the gun safes out there are a good deterrent to snatch and grab criminals, but a pro wants to get in your safe and knows he has the time and right equipment then your probably SOL. </div></div>

this is exactly what most of us have. if you spend the money to get even a TL-15 safe its thousands, and thats just a 15 minute deterrent rating.

if you really need to have security warranting a professionaly rated safe, then id suggest other types of security systems as well as other physical security.

A good home security system goes along way as well a good guard dog. Security is a multilayer thing. I can't imagine a pro wanting in my house for anything. Also the less people who know you have valuables the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good home security system goes along way as well a good guard dog. Security is a multilayer thing. I can't imagine a pro wanting in my house for anything. Also the less people who know you have valuables the better. </div></div>

This^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a fire fighter with a diamond blade on their circular saw will get into ANY SAFE! </div></div>

And secondly as soon as that saw were to fire up.... 12 gauge is getting racked and he won't here anyone coming up behind him. </div></div>

A firefighter wouldn't unless it's his second job. The point being that there are tools to do the job and professional thieves are well aware of it.

And a professional thief will canvas your house long enough to know when you aren't home so hearing the 12 gauge is a non-issue.

Security system, intimidating dog and the best safe you can afford is all part of the equation.

I have a Liberty Fatboy Jr. You ain't getting into that puppy with an ax, or torch.

In my Bomb Squad days we use to get old safes for training. From what I remembered, and studying the Liberty, there is only one method I can think of to get into it without destroying the contents.

I wont say how, (it would work on any safe) but I really doubt you'll find and burglars or dopers who could pull it off. Any own who knows how, wouldn't waste their time and resourses for what could be inside. Just wouldn't be cost effective.

I mainly picked this one because of the fire rating. Every now and then we have to leave the valley because of forrest fires. Now I don't have to load all my guns into the wife's Exployer and park it at the Fairgounds (our camping place when we have to evacuate.

Kraig, unless I'm looking at the wrong safe it has a 12 gauge body and average fire rating. Liberty's Presidential and National safes are far better.

All it takes to get into most safes is a metal cutting circular saw and it won't damage the contents. I have cut 3/4" steel with one and it allows you to set the depth so the contents wouldn't be damaged.

Here is a video from a guy who's been in the safe business for 20 years offering a 25 minute overview of safe construction and the pro's and con's of several different designs. I found it a worthwhile watch. He shows safes that have been pried, cut and beat on. Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a fire fighter with a diamond blade on their circular saw will get into ANY SAFE! </div></div>

And secondly as soon as that saw were to fire up.... 12 gauge is getting racked and he won't here anyone coming up behind him. </div></div>

A firefighter wouldn't unless it's his second job. The point being that there are tools to do the job and professional thieves are well aware of it.

And a professional thief will canvas your house long enough to know when you aren't home so hearing the 12 gauge is a non-issue.

Security system, intimidating dog and the best safe you can afford is all part of the equation.

</div></div>

Hmmm I should survive then. If they can manage to get past my attack lama

I keep my shotguns large and in charge...No need for pre-charging to scare the fodder away...

2 things...

1. A lot of people are going on the assumption that gauge is everything. So, go try cutting regular 12 gauge steel and 12 gauge AR400 or even AR500 and let me know how that works out for you.

2. It may not destroy the "metal" contents, but unless you're having someone spray the cut area with a hose while you're taking a cut-off saw to it you're likely to burn up anything non metallic inside if not create a fire inside when the carpeting begins to burn. Good luck using a small circular saw set to depth. I hope you have several hours of patience and no neighbors since it will also be loud as hell and the room will fill with all kinds of toxic shit unless you plan on opening the garage door or windows in that room and letting everyone know what your doing even more so...

A good safe, a good dog, maintain OPSEC, a good firearms insurance policy through the NRA, and life goes on.

Nothing is inpenetrable. The goal of the average safe is to stop the smash and grab guy. If a guy wants to get in he will, hence the insurance policy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 things...

1. A lot of people are going on the assumption that gauge is everything. So, go try cutting regular 12 gauge steel and 12 gauge AR400 or even AR500 and let me know how that works out for you.

2. It may not destroy the "metal" contents, but unless you're having someone spray the cut area with a hose while you're taking a cut-off saw to it you're likely to burn up anything non metallic inside if not create a fire inside when the carpeting begins to burn. Good luck using a small circular saw set to depth. I hope you have several hours of patience and no neighbors since it will also be loud as hell and the room will fill with all kinds of toxic shit unless you plan on opening the garage door or windows in that room and letting everyone know what your doing even more so...</div></div>

How many gun safes are made with ar steel?

I think I would like the way my Cannon Safe does under a break in. Its pretty stout!

BUT, like everything else, given the time and materials, NO safe is completely break open proof....

Just my thoughts, but for the most part, you get what you pay for with safes. Just buy a decent safe and you will be good to go IMHO

A partner K1200 with an aluminum oxide blade will get in most any RSC on the market. And quick. Use a 2 1/2 gal. water extinguisher to keep the sparks down and contents cool.
3 sided triangle cut and someones grubby hands are gonna get your chit.

Insurance is my last line of defense.

If it's not UL rated it's only a deterrent. It doesn't take a pro to open most gun vaults. Just someone with the want to get in and 5-10 minutes, and the right tools. Only reason I know is b/c I help a buddy from time to time, that does sales, delivery's, and installs. The two of us got in one that the local drug task force had us get into, in a little over 7 minutes, without cutting. Burglary rated vaults also carry a hefty price tag, and if the guy trying to get in truly is a pro, I'm not sold they can't get into anything that the majority of us can afford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's not UL rated it's only a deterrent. It doesn't take a pro to open most gun vaults. Just someone with the want to get in and 5-10 minutes, and the right tools. Only reason I know is b/c I help a buddy from time to time, that does sales, delivery's, and installs. The two of us got in one that the local drug task force had us get into, in a little over 7 minutes, without cutting. Burglary rated vaults also carry a hefty price tag, and if the guy trying to get in truly is a pro, I'm not sold they can't get into anything that the majority of us can afford. </div></div>

you are 100% right. for a 'normal' home ownder get a decent safe thats not a plain metal cabinet and if necessary a home alarm system.

anything other than that is going to be a waste of money by either drawing attention to yourself or they will just know you have something worth taking and come prepared to crack/cut into a safe when they see you are not home.

Harbor fright skill saw with a 10" cut off wheel will slice through 1/8 steel (11 guage) with ease.

Have you ever cut a piece of angle iron with a chop saw/skill saw??? takes about 8 secound to cut 2" of 1/8 steel

Two guys with 2 saws can have the whole side of youre safe open in about 5 min. with tools they bought down the road for 80 bucks

A real safe weighs around 1400 lbs for a 3'x3' model
If your safe is big as hell and only weights 800-1000 lbs it's not going to stop much.

look at the stats on this safe 20" cube 520lbs
gv-1412-x.jpg

HEIGHT WIDTH DEPTH WEIGHT
20" 18.5"
20" 520 lbs
INSIDE DIMENSIONS
HEIGHT WIDTH DEPTH
14"
12.5"
12"
2 shelves
1.22 Cu. Ft.
Massive 2" thick door, 5 1/4" overall
Active 1 1/4" chromed locking bolts

Tempered glass re-locker
Chrome-plated die cast handle
Adjustable shelves
Stainless fascia plates

Massive 1 1/4" chromed locking bolts, secured with a high-security U.L. listed Group II combination lock are standard on the Gem Vault. The lock is mounted on a magnesium anit-drilling and cutting plate, and as an extra measure, a plate of tempered glass connected to a randomly placed relocker, is mounted behind the combination lock.