• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun show find

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Been awhile since I posted here. Figured i'd start with some eye candy.

SA manufactured M14E2/M14A1 stock assembly. Completely USGI. Still has the ruptured duck stamp on the left side. Sling is a BAR sling. The correct sling would have an extra clip assembly attached to the folding fore grip.

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

Re: Gun show find

Accually it's been awhile since I found something this nice.

It was a good show for some reason. Picked up two complete cans of Lake City AP 30-06 for 50 cent a round. Loaded in SA clips and bandoleers. Also picked up a complete M1 National Match stock set, barrel channel dated 10-69 and SN'd and the NM op rod to go with it. Someone must have taken a NM Garand and "Restored it". Dumb ass most likely lost 400 or 500 dollars in the value off the rifle by fucking with it. Found one dealer with GI surplus Leathermans and Gerber multi tools for 15 bucks. Most had something wrong with them like a broken blade or bent flat tip. I found three dirty ones in the bottom of the box that were dirty but otherwise like new. All in all a good day.

Now do I go whole hog A1/E2 type rifle or a DMR type with Brookfield mount and Leupy Mark 1 scope? Hummmm, I do have a spare scope.

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

exmr2sw more than I wanted to give, LOL. Ended up with 425 in the stock. Guy knew what he had and all I could get him off his asking price was 75 bucks. It's still a fair deal for both so neither one got hurt.

If it had been the later birch replacement stock I would not have given as much. Maybe about half.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now do I go whole hog A1/E2 type rifle or a DMR type with Brookfield mount and Leupy Mark 1 scope? Hummmm, I do have a spare scope.

</div></div>

i think that would be the right thing to do.

I think a DMR type will be the out come. I've shot real e2's and the bipod destroys accuracy in my opion. I like my rifles to hit where they are aimed. The e2 stock is a nice design for scope use as the comb is higher than the issue rifle stock so no cheek piece is needed to get a good sight picture. This should have been the stock on the M21 rilfe. The off set leather cheek pad from the M1D was a very poor idea and forced your eye out of allignment with the scope. Order a mount today. No one had a Sadlak in stock so I'm going to use a Arms 18 for now. Pictures to follow.

I'm curious if a lot of the handles on these wooden stocks got busted off with hard use by the troops.

There's a large bolt that runs up through the center or the handle and into the stock. There's a wooden plug that covers the bolt head. The handle is also dovetailed and glued to the stock. Now with all that said it's common to see a crack at the handle and stock that has an epoxi repair on used GI issued stocks. I've never see one broken off but nothing is GI proof so I'm sure it has happened.

That makes sense to reinforce it as they did. I have never had the chance to look at one up close. Great find by the way!

Nice pick up Don. Had I not been on vacation I'd have been at your table. We may have to talk about a can of AP.
Semper Fi

I've been wondering about where you were. I haven't posted a lot lately either. You been playing with those damn .22's much? All I have had time for lately is my Gradous 308 (it won't shoot any better than he does ;)) and a heart breaker of a 6.5 Grendel.

You still have the same #?

Yep I have the same number but my other cell shorted out and I lost a ton of phone numbers. The Verizon people were not able to recall anything from the phone after it die.

Jim Hope you spanked their asses today at the 1000 yard match.

Proper gun control means a high X count. hehehe.

Dude, you suck! Good snags on those gun show finds. Do you want a clip to make the sling look right? I have one off some swedish milsurp that looks pretty damn close to the rear clip on that sling. Yours if you want it, I can drop it in the mail.

Not exactly accurate, but from a couple feet maybe nobody can tell?

a998c678.jpg

Brad that would be great. I'll pm with my address.

The scope is a Vari X III tactical. It came on a LTR a bought. The thing has target style knobs. Does anyone know of a tactical style knob set up for this scope. Don't need high dollar stuff as the scope is not worth that much, just something larger and with better gripping surface than the little texture surface these have.

you could send it to leupy to be converted to m1 knobs, but I don't know how much you want to put into it. There are options out there for the hunting turrets, but I'm not aware of any for the target knobs.

Yea I looked at both options. The M1 mod is more than this scope is worth and the hunting mod want work. At one time I thought I had seen a post about a tactical knob for these scopes but I don't think Leupold even makes this modle scope now so I doubt if anyone makes a tac. knob set now.

I'm not into older stuff. But, I do see a lot of interesting things if ya go to enough shows. Never know what ya may find