• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Gun Show Wisdom

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Well gun shows continue to amaze me. Today is what I learned.

New terminology:

Pick-A-Teen Rail
    . A guy came up to my tables and asked me if I had any Pick-A-Teen rails. I said that sounded like some kind of pedo website and he walked away.

Milling Rads. I overheard two guys talking and one guy was explaining Milling Rads. He said you use the Rads when Milling for range.

Wisdom:

People were buying ammo like crazy, however everyone that wasn't buying ammo had 10,000 rounds at home so they didn't need to buy any. I was amazed everyone had exactly the same amount of ammo at home.

The eternal urban myth about 5.56 blowing up a .223 gun came up again. I told the guy it wasn't true and it was an urban myth. He got defensive and told me I was going to give people advice that would get them killed. I told the guy to go over to where they are selling reloading stuff and ask the guy specifically for 5.56 reloading dies and 5.56 reloading data and see what he says. I watched from across the room and the guy selling reloading stuff laughed out loud.

I had several people say I had the nicest guns in the show but my prices were too high. I told them "nicest guns" cost extra.

The ammo dealers had pallets of Winchester 147gr 9mm for a buck a round and Wolf .223 for .90 a round and they sold out.

I had one lady (attractive 50ish) look at my S&W display. She asked numerous questions about them your average person doesn't ask. I started thinking this is unusual that a lady is this into guns that she knows the years flat latches were made, the difference between a 3-screw and 5-screw Smith, and knew the model numbers of some of them that were in a glass display case without handling them. Then she pops the question, "I have a NV and UT CCW. Can you do a paperless transaction?" I looked at her and just smiled. She said "What does the smile mean?" I said "You are one of four things, CA or NV DOJ, BATF, Brady Campaign or Violence Policy Center, and you just solicited a class 1 felony. I have no choice but to report you to the police." She just stood there and looked at me with no expression. I did notify show security and didn't see her again.

There was one SCAR-17 FDE in the show and the price was $6500, because they are "rare".

Not one single AR-15 BCG in the show. I found HK bolts, M-14 bolts, M1 carbine bolts, AK bolts, Uzi bolts, but no AR BCG.

There was a girl there with purple hair and goth makeup in the aisle across from me. She was showing a continuous video of her running a stock making machine and had some of the rifles she built on display. She does awesome work and gave me hope for the future, if a 20 something girl with purple hair is turning out that kind of work, maybe she will inspire other youngsters to get interested in building guns and shooting.

I had one lady (attractive 50ish) look at my S&W display. She asked numerous questions about them your average person doesn't ask. I started thinking this is unusual that a lady is this into guns that she knows the years flat latches were made, the difference between a 3-screw and 5-screw Smith, and knew the model numbers of some of them that were in a glass display case without handling them. Then she pops the question, "I have a NV and UT CCW. Can you do a paperless transaction?" I looked at her and just smiled. She said "What does the smile mean?" I said "You are one of four things, CA or NV DOJ, BATF, Brady Campaign or Violence Policy Center, and you just solicited a class 1 felony. I have no choice but to report you to the police." She just stood there and looked at me with no expression. I did notify show security and didn't see her again.

That sounds really odd. I wouldn't expect the average person employed in those agencies these days (and certainly NOT an anti-gun activist) to have such arcane knowledge about older S&W revolvers. Not impossible, but it seems pretty unlikely. Another possibility is that she was (or was representing) a person who's prohibited from buying a gun; maybe they're a foreign national who's a gun collector or they lost their rights because of a legal problem. In any case, it would still chap my ass for someone to solicit a felony like that.

Nice to hear about the young stock-maker. At least the event wasn't a total clown show like too many of them are lately.

Last edited:
    That's sound really odd. I wouldn't expect the average person employed in those agencies these days (and certainly NOT an anti-gun activist) to have such arcane knowledge about older S&W revolvers. Not impossible, but it seems pretty unlikely. Another possibility is that she was (or was representing) a person who's prohibited from buying a gun; maybe they're a foreign national who's a gun collector or they lost their rights because of a legal problem. In any case, it would still chap my ass for someone to solicit a felony like that.

Nice to hear about the young stock-maker. At least the event wasn't a total clown show like too many of them are lately.
    When I had my gun business in Contra Costa County CA we had a guy from the Violence Policy Center that trolled every gun show in the Bay Area. His name is Andres Soto. He would dress in what he thought gun culture clothing, bid overalls, flannel shirt with the sleeves torn off, work boots and a baseball cap. He would go to gun shows and solicit paperless sales, buy books like the Poor Man's James Bond or Anarchist Cookbook. Then he would go to local city council or county board of supervisor meetings, show them what he was able to do and try to get them to shut down FFL's and gun shows. He knew a lot about guns but not enough to ask questions in a way that didn't raise suspicions, kind of like magazine racers when they talk to real race car pit crews or drivers.

I was at the Antioch gun show many years ago when a black TV reporter came up to my table and solicited a paperless sale of a Benelli M1. He had a news paper rolled up under his arm and I saw the lens of the camera inside the news paper. I told him no sale and immediately went to the show promoter. They had signs everywhere about no photography inside the event. They grabbed the reporter and took him into a back room, "removed" the camera and recording equipment and destroyed it. They called the police and pressed charges for trespassing and solicitation of an illegal gun sale. It got ugly because the reporter then pressed charges for assault, kidnapping and unlawful detainment. I got stuck in the middle because I reported him to the show promoter. It was in the news for a while but all they ever reported was a TV reporter was illegally detained at a gun show, not that he unsuccessfully attempted to illegally purchase a firearm. Both sides dropped charges after about a week.

Last edited:
    When I had my gun business in Contra Costa County CA we had a guy from the Violence Policy Center that trolled every gun show in the Bay Area. His name is Andres Soto. He would dress in what he thought gun culture clothing, bid overalls, flannel shirt with the sleeves torn off, work boots and a baseball cap. He would go to gun shows and solicit paperless sales, buy books like the Poor Man's James Bond or Anarchist Cookbook. Then he would go to local city council or county board of supervisor meetings, show them what he was able to do and try to get them to shut down FFL's and gun shows. He knew a lot about guns but not enough to ask questions in a way that didn't raise suspicions, kind of like magazine racers when they talk to real race car pit crews or drivers.

I was at the Antioch gun show many years ago when a black TV reporter came up to my table and solicited a paperless sale of a Benelli M1. He had a news paper rolled up under his arm and I saw the lens of the camera inside the news paper. I told him no sale and immediately went to the show promoter. They had signs everywhere about no photography inside the event. They grabbed the reporter and took him into a back room, "removed" the camera and recording equipment and destroyed it. They called the police and pressed charges for trespassing and solicitation of an illegal gun sale. It got ugly because the reporter then pressed charges for assault, kidnapping and unlawful detainment. I got stuck in the middle because I reported him to the show promoter. It was in the news for a while but all they ever reported was a TV reporter was illegally detained at a gun show, not that he unsuccessfully attempted to illegally purchase a firearm. Both sides dropped charges after about a week.
    Gun show should have claimed citizens arrest, which is legal in most states for felony crimes.

Fuck em, just because they are are a "reporter" doesn't give them license to break the law.

Gun show should have claimed citizens arrest, which is legal in most states for felony crimes.

Fuck em, just because they are are a "reporter" doesn't give them license to break the law.
    Have you not seen the news lately. I remember a few years back when some asshat on cnn was waving a 30rd mag in DC.....nothing was done.

40+ years young here and have only purchased 1 gun in the last 10 years from a show. Shows are not what they were a 30 years ago! Do yourself a favor and hit a local gun show. Bring about $75-100 cash and buy a m16 FCG cash and carry. Totally legal to own and still available at most shows. Chances are it will remain in the back of safe/cabinet and your kids will throw it away when you die. Or 10 years from now..... you will be thankful you listened to some Asshat on the Hide, and you have one when it is needed?

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76
    I will sum up most gun shows.......

You got the Asian guy selling all the tacticool NcStar, UTG, Leapers, Counter Sniper, (insert made in China garbage) scopes and red dots and lasers.

You got the old white guys selling their custom handmade knives that they think are worth as much as Schmidt & Bender scope.

You got the younger white guy that paid 1K for a 53' container load of made in China assorted knives, throwing stars, and other cutlery goods trying to turn it into 100K

You got the ammo guy selling ziplock bags of bulk ammo that looks like WW2 surplus, but claims its "recently manufactured" also selling Wolf and Tula ammo at Hornady prices.

You got the very right leaning fellas with their very right leaning stickers and t-shirts (may or may not be KKK):unsure:

You got the smell of fair food in the air (which I love)

I very seldom leave with anything, but it is a show nonetheless.......LOL

Wow, glad Ohio still allows private collection sales(paperless).
    Nothing but a handshake and cash, however we all generally know each other.
    To the poster talking about buying the fire control group for FA M-16.
    Yeah that's legal but way way to many ways to get screwed for criminal intent.
    One should think long and hard about that one.

Last edited:
    So a guy at work did an asinine thing. He bought a "solvent trap" amd glock switch off wish.com. well he just filed a form 1 for the solvent trap, but before that he drilled the end cap out......told him to expect a visit from the atf......

Doc

• Wow
    Reactions: Anb618
    40+ years young here and have only purchased 1 gun in the last 10 years from a show. Shows are not what they were a 30 years ago! Do yourself a favor and hit a local gun show. Bring about $75-100 cash and buy a m16 FCG cash and carry. Totally legal to own and still available at most shows. Chances are it will remain in the back of safe/cabinet and your kids will throw it away when you die. Or 10 years from now..... you will be thankful you listened to some Asshat on the Hide, and you have one when it is needed?
    So it's cool to store M16 auto sears in my safe full of AR15 rifles and lowers? Thanks, bro!

So I guess Katie Couric is trying to make her documentary again. :ROFLMAO:

You got the smell of fair food in the air (which I love)
    Ours too. Ours have some of the biscuits and gravy I've ever had. It's the best part of the show. Go early as it usually runs out quickly. I don't think I've been in nine years. Ammo was really cheap at that point.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    I had a guy show up at my FIL estate sale. He’s looking around at all the hunting/shooting stuff and asks, “So where’s the guns?” I told him they’re at the LGS and told him what was there. He started to berate me because it is legal to sell guns at an estate sale. I replied to him, only if I’m an FFL. He asked since when?! I told him since our last asshat governor passed a law in 2013, and if him and everyone like him was paying more attention maybe that wouldn’t have happened.

So a guy at work did an asinine thing. He bought a "solvent trap" amd glock switch off wish.com. well he just filed a form 1 for the solvent trap, but before that he drilled the end cap out......told him to expect a visit from the atf......

Doc

Buying the glock switches is pretty much a countdown till they show up at your door...

Wow, glad Ohio still allows private collection sales(paperless).
    Nothing but a handshake and cash, however we all generally know each other.
    To the poster talking about buying the fire control group for FA M-16.
    Yeah that's legal but way way to many ways to get screwed for criminal intent.
    One should think long and hard about that one.

I think the risk vs reward for some of that barely legal stuff just really isn't worth it.
    In any "real" situation, something long range and high precision or up close and personal will be of much more use and you can do battlefield pickups of oppressor weapons if you really need the "fun" parts.

I used to make the Wanenmacher’s Gun Show in Tulsa a “ will do” every year.
    That was when they were fun and there were deals everywhere. At one time they even had a 3.2 Beer Garden. Was a rendezvous place once you lost your friends.
    Back in the day it was a great show to make a weekend trip.

I picked up a field jacket with liner several years ago for $30 at a gun show. A few pounds of powder at good prices and had some knives sharpened. But that was probably during the W Bush years.
    I love that field jacket for early turkey season.

Well it got interesting today. First the promoter of the show asked if they could video my display to use in their TV commercials. I said okay so a whole TV crew shows up and they are filming a commercial. Afterwards a lot of the other vendors came and asked what that was all about. Then right before I was getting ready to start packing up a buying rush came through and I sold more in an hour than the whole rest of the show.

New terminology:

Pick-A-Teen Rail
    . A guy came up to my tables and asked me if I had any Pick-A-Teen rails. I said that sounded like some kind of pedo website and he walked away.

Milling Rads. I overheard two guys talking and one guy was explaining Milling Rads. He said you use the Rads when Milling for range.

Wisdom:

People were buying ammo like crazy, however everyone that wasn't buying ammo had 10,000 rounds at home so they didn't need to buy any. I was amazed everyone had exactly the same amount of ammo at home.

The eternal urban myth about 5.56 blowing up a .223 gun came up again. I told the guy it wasn't true and it was an urban myth. He got defensive and told me I was going to give people advice that would get them killed. I told the guy to go over to where they are selling reloading stuff and ask the guy specifically for 5.56 reloading dies and 5.56 reloading data and see what he says. I watched from across the room and the guy selling reloading stuff laughed out loud.

I had several people say I had the nicest guns in the show but my prices were too high. I told them "nicest guns" cost extra.

The ammo dealers had pallets of Winchester 147gr 9mm for a buck a round and Wolf .223 for .90 a round and they sold out.

There was one SCAR-17 FDE in the show and the price was $6500, because they are "rare".

Not one single AR-15 BCG in the show. I found HK bolts, M-14 bolts, M1 carbine bolts, AK bolts, Uzi bolts, but no AR BCG.

There was a girl there with purple hair and goth makeup in the aisle across from me. She was showing a continuous video of her running a stock making machine and had some of the rifles she built on display. She does awesome work and gave me hope for the future, if a 20 something girl with purple hair is turning out that kind of work, maybe she will inspire other youngsters to get interested in building guns and shooting.
    Let’s talk more about the smiths.. I’ve been looking for 2.5 m19 or a 3.5 m27. Pre MIM & lock.

So it's cool to store M16 auto sears in my safe full of AR15 rifles and lowers? Thanks, bro!
    As long as those lowers don’t have a third hole for a sear, the parts will not function.

Reactions: Long_Action
    Im guessing you just did the Reno show. I almost went but gun shows have been a waste of time for a while now other than bulk ammo and thats a no go in this climate.

I do have a crazy loud unfiltered friend who likes to test stun guns out on himself, hes a riot to take to gun shows.

Im guessing you just did the Reno show. I almost went but gun shows have been a waste of time for a while now other than bulk ammo and thats a no go in this climate.

I do have a crazy loud unfiltered friend who likes to test stun guns out on himself, hes a riot to take to gun shows.
    It was the Big Reno show. The bulk ammo sold out quickly even though it was over priced. It was a good gun show, much better than having it at the convention center the past couple of years. The Crossroads shows in Reno are more suited to the modern handgun and black gun crowd. The New Frontier shows are more suited to Winchester, Colt and cowboy stuff.

I bought two empty 50 cal ammo cans for $5 out the door back in 2002. Still use them to this day. First and last time I went to a gun show. Don't really want to break my winning streak.

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel+Killer

New terminology:

Pick-A-Teen Rail

Wisdom:

I guess it's rare if you can't wait the 90 day lead time on one from the factory, then it's $3k.

"Rare"... Gunbroker speak for "Double MSRP". Because if it was actually rare, they'd really want more like $30k... Like they do for that 10" 416 upper, holy shit the stupidity.

But these dumb motherfuckers are the same people responsible for AK's going from $199 rifles to $2000 rifles... These will be the same motherfuckers that'll make this shit normal too.

It'd behoove us to pool OUR resources here on the 'Hide and build our own ammo plant, not kidding either. No reason why we couldn't do that and get better ammo for less, most of us shoot the bulk of the same stuff anyway. I been toying with this, how much it'd cost total and who'd be ideal to put it together.

I bought two empty 50 cal ammo cans for $5 out the door back in 2002. Still use them to this day. First and last time I went to a gun show. Don't really want to break my winning streak.
    Can I get 'em? Those are no-shit 100rd. "high capacity" mags for me!

I guess it's rare if you can't wait the 90 day lead time on one from the factory, then it's $3k.

"Rare"... Gunbroker speak for "Double MSRP". Because if it was actually rare, they'd really want more like $30k... Like they do for that 10" 416 upper, holy shit the stupidity.

But these dumb motherfuckers are the same people responsible for AK's going from $199 rifles to $2000 rifles... These will be the same motherfuckers that'll make this shit normal too.

It'd behoove us to pool OUR resources here on the 'Hide and build our own ammo plant, not kidding either. No reason why we couldn't do that and get better ammo for less, most of us shoot the bulk of the same stuff anyway. I been toying with this, how much it'd cost total and who'd be ideal to put it together.
    Look around. This has been done. There's a thread detailing this idea, even has a complete price list. Perhaps someone could point him in that direction, just to save time.

You'd have to get into powder and primer manufacturing as well currently.

I thought they fell in the same "get out of jail free" category as politicians and Kennedys.

I thought they fell in the same "get out of jail free" category as politicians and Kennedys.
    Hmmmm....maybe I'll just have to get one of those "press" patches for my carrier....the I can run around with unregistered MGs and the police won't bother me.....:unsure:

proxy-image.jpeg

Last edited:
    I will sum up most gun shows.......

You got the Asian guy selling all the tacticool NcStar, UTG, Leapers, Counter Sniper, (insert made in China garbage) scopes and red dots and lasers. I don't think he's Asian...

You got the old white guys selling their custom handmade knives that they think are worth as much as Schmidt & Bender scope. Eeyup.

You got the younger white guy that paid 1K for a 53' container load of made in China assorted knives, throwing stars, and other cutlery goods trying to turn it into 100K Eeeeyup.

You got the ammo guy selling ziplock bags of bulk ammo that looks like WW2 surplus, but claims its "recently manufactured" also selling Wolf and Tula ammo at Hornady prices. Mmmhm.

You got the very right leaning fellas with their very right leaning stickers and t-shirts (may or may not be KKK):unsure: There's an old Jewish guy selling WWII German shit and Jim Crow shit, the latter mostly to troll the easily-butthurt. I've heard him tell some dipshit kids to fuck off.

You got the smell of fair food in the air (which I love) There's a concession stand, popcorn machine, and a couple of vending machines but food's not allowed on the show floor.

I very seldom leave with anything, but it is a show nonetheless.......LOL Damn right.
    Not sure about where you're at, but here you also get:

Strollers the size of Volkswagens trying to run you the fuck over.

The guys with their pants around their buttocks who gravitate towards cheap, small, concealable, not-very-reliable 9mms and exhibit little to no familiarity with gun safety.

The kids who spend $20 on that made-in-china knives/throwing stars/cheap cutlery because it's got a skull on it.

That one guy who keeps demonstrating stun guns every few minutes but never seems to actually make a sale.

Chinese. Steel. Plates.