• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

gun shows - changes in the last years?

tschiemer

Sergeant
Minuteman
For those attending gun shows, have you noticed a change in the past ten years in your part of the country? I was recently in a gun shop looking for a cleaning rod for a long range rifle which I had inbound, and I saw they had some crates of the chinese 7.62 ak47 ammo that I remember was common in gun shows years ago. I last saw this ammo when I was in south Florida for a deposition and went in a gun shop there. The last time I went to a gun show I did not see this type of ammo or the tables of hks that you used to see. There used to be a couple of tables of NFA items, subguns and suppressors as well.

The variety of things I remember years ago seemed absent, but that was only one show so it may not be a true representation and in only one city. I have not been going to gun shows for a number of years and wonder, have there been changes in:

what you see for sale, and if so what have you noticed different, if anything? It may be a matter of age as well as with years passing, fewer 'new' old guns are in the market.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed trends.

Re: gun shows - changes in the last years?

Gun shows are pretty much a disaster, IMO. Too many vendors selling cheap, knockoff junk, or price gauging based on the crisis du jour. The one thing I will say is that if you are looking for a fairly common firearm and you're an informed buyer, you can usually find a good deal. Haggling seems easier at gun shows than gun stores. Generally though, gun shows are a waste of time.

Gunshows: Old guns, new prices and folksy backwoods wisdom for free!

They are a huge waste of time.

Except, when you have a decent ammunition vendor there. Shipping charges blow, so if I can save that by shipping it via car/hand back to my place, i'm a happy camper.

$6 parking
$8 admission

All to see the exact same shit from the exact same vendors. Used stuff with new stuff pricing, tapco-fucked everything, cheesy/Chicom plastic crap and stuff that can be hand online for WAY cheaper even factoring in shipping and the transfer fee.

Add this in together with half of the guys either ignoring you, giving you a hassle for asking them a question/wanting to look at a firearm and the total bullshit that they tell you and the growing proportion of random other shit (beanie babies, beef jerky, etc)compared to the declining amount of firearms and you pretty much have ensured I never go to a gun show again.

There used to be a couple of decent shows in my area about ten years ago (and by "my area"...I mean within a 2hr drive). Lots of ammo from MANY vendors at good prices, 10-15 dealers out of 1,100 tables would usually have some high quality items at reasonable prices with lots of good info, etc. to share.

Nowadays...pure, unadulterated, overpriced CRAP (both in terms of firearms/ammo, etc. and the multitude of beef jerky, beany baby, Indian knick-knack, and costume jewelry vendors)!! Even with free parking and $5 admission, they are generally a complete waste of time/money/effort.