• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun talk at work

Do you openly talk about your firearm activities at work?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freethinker

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
Georgia
I've found the topic of shooting sports and firearms as a hobby a polarizing subject socially and especially in the workplace. I used to be very cautious about mentioning that I engaged in shooting sports or even owned firearms because I've usually worked in environments that were overwhelmingly progressive and liberal. Coworkers were very vocal about being anti-conservative or anti-gun. I've reached the point where I hit the fuck it button and don't care anymore. When I joined my current employer my boss asked me to write an intro email they could send out and mention family, hobbies, and experience. I stated that I participated in PRS competitions, and it was removed by my boss's boss. When I confronted them about it they told me activities involving guns are not appropriate for a professional environment. TL;DR version, I nearly got fired in my first week when I provided a retort.

I will talk with people I have known for a long time at work about shooting sports
BUT
One day years ago (pre-covid) the CEO was going to make a big announcement about CUTTING benefits more than normal

A call from upper management went out to middle management that said

If you know of any employees that might be a threat when this news is received please provide name and location
and also, include anyone that you know for certain owns guns.

It looks like the C level management at my company deems anyone that owns a gun as a threat, even if they have never made any threats or done anything wrong.

The C level management got back more info than I think they bargained for and the following week installed bullet resistant glass on all the glass doors and windows where their offices were

Then the announcement went out that benefits were being cut in a fairly big way, and all managers were suppose to be on high alert and report anything

Nothing happened, didn't think it would, having a cut in benefits isn't worth shooting anyone up to the vast majority of people, unless you are a deranged rainbow person or a leftist antifa type (but then you wouldn't have a job so there is that)

I am sure that "who is a threat" and "who owns guns" list is still alive and well today for any C level manager to access.

We can talk guns here at work without being concerned about some eager beaver types. My boss has quite a few very nice rifles and select items, our draftsman likes to do 80% lowers and blast shotguns on his farm, and a couple women here in the office thought it'd be funny to run off this pic of George Constanza on the plotter and put it up where we had a big white board. It's very much big boy rules around here I think.

1702063778955.png

• Haha
Reactions: HPIguy and Maggot
I will talk with people I have known for a long time at work about shooting sports
BUT
One day years ago (pre-covid) the CEO was going to make a big announcement about CUTTING benefits more than normal

A call from upper management went out to middle management that said

If you know of any employees that might be a threat when this news is received please provide name and location
and also, include anyone that you know for certain owns guns.

It looks like the C level management at my company deems anyone that owns a gun as a threat, even if they have never made any threats or done anything wrong.

The C level management got back more info than I think they bargained for and the following week installed bullet resistant glass on all the glass doors and windows where their offices were

Then the announcement went out that benefits were being cut in a fairly big way, and all managers were suppose to be on high alert and report anything

Nothing happened, didn't think it would, having a cut in benefits isn't worth shooting anyone up to the vast majority of people, unless you are a deranged rainbow person or a leftist antifa type (but then you wouldn't have a job so there is that)

I am sure that "who is a threat" and "who owns guns" list is still alive and well today for any C level manager to access.
With an email like that my very next move would have been "Job Search".

Thats a bunch of bullshit, but expected around Charlottesville. What a limpdicked bunch.

One of the guys in our bike division walked up to me outside, looked around and whispered "I heard you shoot". I know the bike guys are a little weird but it was odd. Then he said he was being cautious because of all the liberals that work in the division. He owns several AR platform and high end 2011 type pistols. He keeps trying to get me to go shoot with him, but one of his coworkers ousted the guy as a Newsom supporter and voter. Once I heard that I just keep telling him I'm busy.

You clearly are operating under the assumption you have the same rights as the "regular" employees.
Just shut your mouth and be grateful they tolerate your contribution.
The rights are for "immigrants" and transgenders and team blue.

1702064767597.png

R

Reactions: AmmoFort
We have a anti firearms policy on a corprate level. Not st the shop tho, just swapped my barrel at lunch. I routinely bring guns in for maintenance during my downtime and have let regional management know if its a issue fire me.

I work with a few guys who shoot, hunt and reload. Definitely bounce thoughts and ideas off of them at times.

My current boss has been coming to our deer camp for a lot more years then I've been working here also. So . . .

I taught my boss and his wife how to shoot... while on the clock. Both are 1st or 2nd gen immigrants to the US. I think one was born here and the other one not.

I brought a suppressed .22 pistol and a suppressed 9mm to work and we went out into a thicket behind the building and I taught them both the basics. I will take a suppressed 10/22 and 300BLK next time.

Corporate policy however is that of no guns. That said I'm not shy about it. It just matters HOW one talks about it.

I try not to, although people come to me constantly to do so.

We work in an extremely liberal, anti-gun environment, though there are lots of gun owners here. We are
"pilgrims in an unholy land."

I generally hate talking guns with most people, what's worse is listening to other people do it. It makes me cringe.

It sounds snobby, but half (or 3/4) of the things I'm into shooting wise, most gun owners / shooters / hunters have never even heard of, so we don't have a lot of common ground to talk about.

A "gun guy" here turned out to be a normie who told me he's never bought a silencer because he "doesn't want the atf searching his safe at 3am." He also voluntarily told me he put smooth buffer tubes on his AR's when the brace thing happened. I've stopped talking to him.

A "gun guy" here turned out to be a normie who told me he's never bought a silencer because he "doesn't want the atf searching his safe at 3am." He also voluntarily told me he put smooth buffer tubes on his AR's when the brace thing happened. I've stopped talking to him.
He sounds like an idiot, good call, next thing you know he'd be telling you all about how much weight he can bench and how many bow kills he has before asking if you to come over to "check out his taxidermy collection".

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
I work out of a small office but everyone but one person owns guns. The one that doesn't own one, doesn't care. We talk about guns all the time.

As fake and gay as Denver has gotten there are still some traces of the Wild West here. I talk guns with the few people that I know share the same interests and there will usually be a straggler that gravitates toward the conversation

Reactions: MarshallDodge
At work, we have this sign in the window next to the door.
1702075186026.png

I should remind myself to take a pic of the front door.

Both of my bosses are owners of the small company that I work for. One is not much into hunting but he does have a handful of AR-15s.

The other boss is a prolific hunter with a collection of weapons ranging from handguns to an MRAD.

The Aoudad on the left he got with his .300 Win Mag.
1702075597044.jpeg

The venison in my freezer is from two of his recent whitetail bucks 2 seasons ago. The trophies are on the couch behind me when I took this pic. He has not found a place for them.

I always have my M&P on me, OWB holster and a large angler shirt over it, tee-shirt underneath it. Our office is informal. Me with jeans and t-shirt and Timberlands are actually over-dressed. We don't have a "show room."

Even though we are not in the firearm or gunsmith industry, there have been times when you would catch us with a rifle there, changing stuff on it.

TLDR, not a problem talking about guns. And a number of colleagues like guns, too. One of them has a lease and showed me his own video of puitting some tannerite in a bait can and waiting for a bunch of hogs show up. Then his daughter fired her 6.5 CM (he normally shoots a .30-06) and watched the flying pork. "That will happen when a pig flies!"
Several flying pigs, coming up!

So, she made up her version of "This Little Piggy."

'This little piggy has no face.

This little piggy has no guts..."

And on and on.

Last edited:
Find a new non-communist employer. More than half the folks at my workplace are shooters. I recently proposed a sporting clays trip as a teambuilding exercise (they asked for ideas), and it was approved by our CTO and CFO.
Sound like you have a cool LT.

I'm retired so I talk about and handle firearms at "work" all the time.

The last firm I worked for, the Senior Partner worked from home sometimes and would have his gun rack behind him on firm wide Zoom calls. I miss talking to him about firearms.

One of the firms spun off as a separate firm and I still go shooting with the President sometimes.

Reactions: Ronws
I clean my guns while on video calls.

My pronouns at work are: Come at me Bro

My bosses wife, my boss is the president of the multi million dollar company, anyway, his wife has her favorite video on her phone of blowing up a 30’ camper with Tanerite on thier property. Sooo… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Their. Free pass on Tannerite.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
MrS mith

Last edited:
I have a "Weaponized Math" poster and a print of the announcement of the 1911 winning the original military contract hanging in my office. I plumb scopes by hanging a plumb bob from a forklift on the other end of the shop.

Reactions: Ronws
When I did work, there were quite a number of others in the shops that also were enthusiasts and hunters. But nowhere near the level that I was, or direction I was going. (that too is not a brag, just a statement of fact)

This caused too many issues that I didn't want to get into/deal with, because too often they thought I was bullshitting and 'watching too many videos' and whatnot.

So I just shut up, let them go on their merryFudd way, and do their thing.

Then one day, one of them saw me at the range, and I had some of what I'd spoken about. And they actually saw what I was doing and whatnot.

All the sudden their 'I hit a paper plate at 75 yards so my gun's good for hunting' wasn't nearly so impressive anymore.

Personal Responsibility is far too lax, in my opinion of society. As well as Individual Initiative just hasn't been promoted NEAR what it should be, anymore.

Not a lot of gun entusiasts in AI, so yeah, I'm in the closet.

In the past I also learned even if there is an active gun community in a company, there's always that one VP or director looking to make trouble.
Keep your mouth shut and powder dry.

Reactions: Lug Nut
Fuck'em. I had to remind some of my chain of command we were the "armed forces" before I retired. Now I find shooters and refer them to the Navy Marksmanship Team.

Work for a large construction company and probably 90% or more of us have weapons in our vehicles including the women. Of those most have CCL's and lots of former military in the company. Have hunted with the CEO several times and generally our conversations revolve around hunting or fly fishing. Prominently displayed in my office is a picture of Cory T and myself holding my suppressed 338 LM taken during one of the Gunsite XLR classes I attended.

Well, my boss owns a high end gunsmith shop, spins up his own barrels and they make(read assemble) high end 2011's and bolt guns. Everybody at works carries, hunts and openly talk about it. Actually, front desk girl doesnt have any guns, she is the only one.

One of the guys in our bike division walked up to me outside, looked around and whispered "I heard you shoot". I know the bike guys are a little weird but it was odd. Then he said he was being cautious because of all the liberals that work in the division. He owns several AR platform and high end 2011 type pistols. He keeps trying to get me to go shoot with him, but one of his coworkers ousted the guy as a Newsom supporter and voter. Once I heard that I just keep telling him I'm busy.
2011 Pistols. New one on me.

I'm in the oilpatch.
LOTS of progun folks around.
Generally speaking, though, most haven't a clue as to what they are actually talking about. For the most part, I just sorta smile and agree.
There are always a few guys who do and really can shoot and understand more than bump stocks. They don't usually discuss guns either.
A couple of years ago, I took a couple rifles with me so I could stop at my cousins on the way home. I had them in the housing unit in locked Pelican cases so they were noticed. Not a huge deal but it did start up plenty of gun conversations. I did my usual routine. About halfway through the 2 week hitch, 2 of the guys said they were going shooting and asked me to go. I figured what the fuck, why not. We go. They mag dump shit like fucking crazy, laugh like retards and high five and shit. I uncased a rifle, attached the suppressor, seated a 10 round mag, ranged a rock at 750 with the LRF and hit it first round. I didn't turn and look for approval or even say anything but they were jabbering and carrying on at what a phenomenal feat that was. Worked the bolt and hit it again (of course). I hit it 10 times. Somewhere in there, they quit jabbering. I started to put shit away and they still weren't really talking anymore. They asked what bullet I was using. I said 80 grain Berger. One guy said he had never heard of that. I said it came out of a 223 Ackley. More weird looks so I sort of explained. Compared one of their vmax rounds to the 223AI with 80 gr VLD. Then I used one of their rounds and fired it in my rifle at that same rock and hit it again. They were just amazed.
Well, off to the races again. They must have wasted 300 rounds and never did hit that rock. Had not a clue. Crazy waste of ammo in my opinion. Maybe had it been surplus it would not have bothered me so much.
BUT...it did sorta stop the trying to discuss guns with the old man.
I also don't really discuss much of anything other than the current job, the upcoming job, a problem job somewhere and the weather. I'm just not interested.
The older I get, the less I want to discuss shit with anyone at all.

Liberal ass Massachusetts.

In my office some dudes like the gun talk because they are into skeet. One dude likes to gun talk because he wants to impress. New lady that started this week is going to be in a tree stand until start of her Army/Navy game party tomorrow. Couple other hunters that like to be in the woods.

Don’t mind the gun talk, could do with hearing less about people announcing they tested positive for covid. Idiots don’t realize before there was a COVID test they just got colds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring'r
I don't talk about guns at work...mainly because i don't talk about myself in any real capacity at work...

I show up, do my job, and leave...my personal life and my work life are separate...and rarely see a need for the two to mix.
This.

Today we had a dumb teambuilder, made (remotely, on camera! so dumb) where we planted succulents in this sorta dumb kit. I didn't do it because the wife would be mad at me. She got the kit and planted it in her greenhouse, different than the people organizing it wanted to because she's nigh on master gardener etc.

So, we're very very gardeny, whole house and environs, and... no one at work knows that. Not a divisive subject, just non-relevant conversation, none of their business. I am friendly with people, but not /friends/ with them, so they do not know what we do with our personal lives that much.

Gun (or night vision, or woodsy hiking or... etc) are naturally avoided because everything is.

Reactions: Aftermath
I'm a fancy dancy white collar consultant in California. It'd be safer to tell the people I work for that I was an unrepentant pedophile than admit that I own guns.

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot
I find life is easier at work if I don’t mention I hunt or anything gun related. Otherwise I gotta hear 2 hours of bullshit and fuckery about how their deer was 200” but the guy didn’t know how to score correctly or how their goddamn fucking AR shoots 1/2” at 500 all day long.
Or the best one “I own a Glock 10mm it will stop any bear”
… yeah the bear is gonna stop, laugh and shove it up your ass while your pissing your pants trying to get it out of the holster.

My mini fridge at work is covered in 2A related stickers, and I'll talk with people cautiously if they initiate the conversation. But there's a ton of morons/uninformed people also who hear about it second hand. The kind that make comments like "when the grid crashes/zombies/blue helmets/etc, happens, I'm coming to your house." Then they get offended when you tell them they won't be welcomed because they have made no preparations and have no appreciable skills.

My work is resembles a typical gun show on any given day, because every day is “show and tell” day.

Reactions: Jgunner