• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Weight and Hunting

BFHog

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2021
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a dilemma. I want an all-purpose AR-10 as my designated hunting rifle, a rifle I can use for all types of hunting and game. My issue is that AR-10 rifles are heavy, with the lightest I've found being the 8.2 lb. Nemo Arms and CMMG's 8.25 lb. Resolute 300. With a decent scope, I'm looking at 9.5 pounds at least, if not closer to ten pounds. My current rifle is a Savage 270 win that comes in at 7.4 pounds. My question is: is the extra 2-2.5 pounds enough to cause me to have issues holding my gun up for long periods of time in the event I'm watching an animal in the optic? The last deer I killed took a few minutes to identify as a buck through my scope. I am willing to spend the six grand on a Nemo .308 and a decent scope, I just want some feedback from educated folks about gun weight. Thanks.

What are you going to hunt with this? Why semi auto? No shooting sticks or bipod?

Anything gets heavy if you hold it long enough.
I want this rifle for all types of hunting. As far as semi-auto: I know the chances of coming into contact with a predator is very slim, and they usually don't engage, however I would prefer a semi auto as far as piece of mind and feeling safe in the woods (in certain, predator dense areas, not in the woods in general). And I don't want to have to rely on a stick or a bipod. I was mainly concerned about the effect that the extra 2-2.5 pounds would have on longer holds. If it's going to be an issue, I'll hold off and likely get a Proof bolt action. Some of their models are around 6 pounds (with no scope).

edit: also, I really like the AR platform.

Last edited:
How long you can hold sights on target is mostly a function of your position and the support for it. The PRS guys mostly practice building positions with their bags and bipods for this reason. If you're exclusively worried about offhand shots then that's going to be at least as much about your own strength (relative to the mass of your arms and gun) but in any case we're talking <30 seconds on a small target regardless of gun weight.

I hunt with a ~9 lb with scope 6.5 Grendel AR which is more than adequate for whitetail deer. I'm not sure exactlywhat you're hunting or what predators you're worried about (black bear, coyote, antifa supersoldiers?) but I've seen 6.5 G used in elk so I'm sure it would be fine for any of the above. Side note, I don't think there's anything about a Nemo that would convince me to part with $6k. If I wanted the most accurate possible AR-10 with an unlimited budget I'd get a LaRue.

Last edited:
How long you can hold sights on target is mostly a function of your position and the support for it. The PRS guys mostly practice building positions with their bags and bipods for this reason. If you're exclusively worried about offhand shots then that's going to be at least as much about your own strength (relative to the mass of your arms and gun) but in any case we're talking <30 seconds on a small target regardless of gun weight.

I hunt with a ~9 lb with scope 6.5 Grendel AR which is more than adequate for whitetail deer. I'm not sure exactlywhat you're hunting or what predators you're worried about (black bear, coyote, antifa supersoldiers?) but I've seen 6.5 G used in elk so I'm sure it would be fine for any of the above. Side note, I don't think there's anything about a Nemo that would convince me to part with $6k. If I wanted the most accurate possible AR-10 with an unlimited budget I'd get a LaRue.
Thanks for the response! I'm not familiar with LaRue; I looked them up a long time ago but I wasn't aware they had an AR-10 that weighs under 8 lbs. I'll consider them as a possibility. I basically want an all-purpose hunting rifle for all types of game and hunting situations, i.e. in a blind, spot and stalk, etc. If I can get an AR-10 at just under 8 lbs. and a scope just above a pound, that'll put me just over 9 lbs.

Thanks for the response! I'm not familiar with LaRue; I looked them up a long time ago but I wasn't aware they had an AR-10 that weighs under 8 lbs. I'll consider them as a possibility. I basically want an all-purpose hunting rifle for all types of game and hunting situations, i.e. in a blind, spot and stalk, etc. If I can get an AR-10 at just under 8 lbs. and a scope just above a pound, that'll put me just over 9 lbs.

Edit: The PredatOBR has a heavier barrel and that would be my pick, the website doesn't list a weight but I think it's 8.2 lbs. It's supposed to be insanely accurate.

Last edited:
I can’t think of anything I wouldn’t stick with a 77gr tmk inside of 400

Moose don’t like em, grizz, ‘bou, mule deer, lopes don’t either.

18-20” 223 wylde Feed it Bh 77gr tmk in a good barrel that’s lighter in profile and go fill an ark.

Just curious: Why don't you like Nemo arms?

Just curious: Why don't you like Nemo arms?
Just seems overpriced to me relative to better options if you're set on AR-10's, but if that's what you're into that's cool. There's one for sale in the PX.

Otherwise, do some searches and reading here:

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Everyone’s got their own reasoning but for me personally I’d spend the $ on a full blown custom shorty 16-18” based on a lone peak Fuzion Ti and a CF barrel. Come in under 8lbs easy depending on stock/scope and pack a Glock 20 on my hip for defense.

Wilson combat ultralight hunter I believe comes in around 7lbs though for less than a Nemo.

I know you said you prefer the AR platform but have you considered maybe Browning BAR? Semi auto and lightweight... however I know it doesn’t have near the capacity or diversity as an AR10

While I am not a hunter, there are a number of rifles that i think would suit you well that have solid reputations. I really like the concept of the POF revolution DI. a 16 inch version is around 7.3lbs, and a 12.5 is around 6.3lbs.

I have a Scar 17 and a SR25 ACC that both weigh around 8lbs and would fit the bill but come a fairly high premium.

I think that if one is smart about how they are setting the rifle up, one can have a fairly handy field rifle. For example, just running a lighter 1-6 lpvo type optic, and ditching the 5-25, with offset RMR, bipod and tactical light. Personally speaking, I would even be ok with a 9lb rifle that didnt have everything and the kitchen sink attached to it.

Also something to consider is maybe decent tripod,bipod, or shooting stock,

Like you, my 270 weighs in just under 8 lbs. As for the extra weight, it will depend on may things. I seem to have a little trouble when wearing a lot of clothing. I just can't get my arms in the optimum position to hold onto a target for long periods of time. Don't kid yourself. A 10 lb rifle is difficult to hold on target for an extended amount of time.

I don't really have an answer for you because everyone is different, I'm sure Arnold wouldn't have a problem holding an M2 on a target for 10 minutes. Others may not be able to hold a 10/22 on a target for 2 minutes. You're body condition and shape will determine it more than anything else.

Good luck!

I have a DPMS GII Hunter in .308. It weighs exactly 7 pounds empty. Shoots sub MOA with 168s or 175s. I think I paid about $900 for it, I don’t know if they are available anymore but it is an awesome rifle for the money

I never understand this concept. Defense against what? I’m assuming bears..

In that case why would you shoot little handgun bullets when you have a mag full of rifle rounds?

I think the handgun is when the animal gets too close for proper shooting with a rifle. Or when your running or climbing a tree.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I never understand this concept. Defense against what? I’m assuming bears..

In that case why would you shoot little handgun bullets when you have a mag full of rifle rounds?
a mag full for me is usually only 3 rounds with maybe 1 in the chamber making it 4. A 18” bolt action with a 7” can hanging off the end isn’t exactly the most maneuverable and anything running to attack me last thing I want is to try an find them in a min range of 3-4 power scope that’s slung over my shoulder. 2 guns is better then 1. Now in reality for where I usually hunt there’s no danger of anything attacking me

Hi,

Pretty sure the only person is this entire thread that can answer if an additional 2lbs will cause issues from holding it offhand with zero support is YOU.

Nobody else knows your functional strength to endurance ratio but YOU.

Nobody else knows what a "long time" is but YOU.

You seem pretty set on the Nemo so more than likely your mind is already made up, IF you don't already have it but wanting to see others recommend it to self justify your decision...
Nobody knows.

Sincerely,
Theis

if i can get a decent position with at least a sling for support, it doesn't matter that much to me.
edit: as above implies, it might not mean anything to you.

Everyone’s got their own reasoning but for me personally I’d spend the $ on a full blown custom shorty 16-18” based on a lone peak Fuzion Ti and a CF barrel. Come in under 8lbs easy depending on stock/scope and pack a Glock 20 on my hip for defense.

Wilson combat ultralight hunter I believe comes in around 7lbs though for less than a Nemo.

I know you said you prefer the AR platform but have you considered maybe Browning BAR? Semi auto and lightweight... however I know it doesn’t have near the capacity or diversity as an AR10
Funny you mention Wilson Combat: I stumbled upon their website for a second time last night and sent them a work order. Their Ultralight Hunter model is exactly 7 pounds, within the range of many light-medium weight bolt action hunting rifles. I also researched the Browning BAR as well.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Hi,

Pretty sure the only person is this entire thread that can answer if an additional 2lbs will cause issues from holding it offhand with zero support is YOU.

Nobody else knows your functional strength to endurance ratio but YOU.

Nobody else knows what a "long time" is but YOU.

You seem pretty set on the Nemo so more than likely your mind is already made up, IF you don't already have it but wanting to see others recommend it to self justify your decision...
Nobody knows.

Sincerely,
Theis
I partially disagree. I'm seeking out other people's opinions, and if multiple experienced hunters can attest to 2 added pounds significantly decreasing rifle hold time, then that's at least something for me to consider. You are correct about people's bodies being difference, and I'm taking that into consideration.

Also, I'm not set on Nemo Arms. In fact, I'm almost certain I'm not going to purchase a Nemo rifle. I'll likely purchase a Wilson Combat super light rifle or a Proof bolt action rifle.

Also, I'm not set on Nemo Arms. In fact, I'm almost certain I'm not going to purchase a Nemo rifle. I'll likely purchase a Wilson Combat super light rifle or a Proof bolt action rifle.
Ever take a look into Desert Tech and either MDR or their Covert A2? Bullpup isn’t for everyone but man. Talk about a short compact package. The balance of weight and shortness is wayyy easier for me to hold vs a traditional longer set up. They balance really well. I have no experience with the MDR (semi-auto) but I do own a A1 and A2 covert (bolt)

edit: I see you’re a fellow Michigander, I live east side in Dearborn hts, could always meet at range in Chelsea (somewhat halfway) or somewhere if ya wanted to try the a2 covert or srs A1 and feel the balance/weight ratio

Ever take a look into Desert Tech and either MDR or their Covert A2? Bullpup isn’t for everyone but man. Talk about a short compact package.
Those are quite futuristic looking. The MDRX has potential because although it's 8.8 pounds, the weight is disproportionately to the rear. Thanks for introducing me to that weapon system!

Those are quite futuristic looking. The MDRX has potential because although it's 8.8 pounds, the weight is disproportionately to the rear. Thanks for introducing me to that weapon system!
Yeah! Sweet system, quick barrel change so easy to change calibers!

Binos/spotting scopes are for identification/scanning. Scopes are for killing. Like others have said, only you can decide if carrying a slightly heavier rifle is worth the weight penalty or not.

I always train with my heaviest rifle. This way my other lighter rifles are just that much easier to handle/carry. This includes workouts. Do some push-ups and then hold that rifle straight out parallel to the ground building that muscle endurance.

The only way to get used to carrying/using a rifle is to actually carry and use it. Weights and stuff helps, but how your rifle balances, carries and etc based on setup is not the same as a kettlebell or etc.

Binos/spotting scopes are for identification/scanning. Scopes are for killing. Like others have said, only you can decide if carrying a slightly heavier rifle is worth the weight penalty or not.

I always train with my heaviest rifle. This way my other lighter rifles are just that much easier to handle/carry. This includes workouts. Do some push-ups and then hold that rifle straight out parallel to the ground building that muscle endurance.

The only way to get used to carrying/using a rifle is to actually carry and use it. Weights and stuff helps, but how your rifle balances, carries and etc based on setup is not the same as a kettlebell or etc.
I agree with you. That being said, my scope is so much more powerful than my current binos that I don't even both taking them with me on the hunt. Also: I think you would agree that often when you're hunting, even if you have good binoculars you often have to watch a potential harvest/kill in your scope for a while to wait for a good position or to properly identify. Either way, I think I'm going to go with a Wilson Combat Ultralight Hunter in a .308. It's 7 lbs even, and with a Vortex Diamondback at 14.1 oz., I'll be under 8 pounds (with no ammo or strap). That's super light for an AR-10.

Won't get lighter than this in an AR10

I agree with you. That being said, my scope is so much more powerful than my current binos that I don't even both taking them with me on the hunt. Also: I think you would agree that often when you're hunting, even if you have good binoculars you often have to watch a potential harvest/kill in your scope for a while to wait for a good position or to properly identify. Either way, I think I'm going to go with a Wilson Combat Ultralight Hunter in a .308. It's 7 lbs even, and with a Vortex Diamondback at 14.1 oz., I'll be under 8 pounds (with no ammo or strap). That's super light for an AR-10.
You must be looking for minute details on game then. I’m thinking button buck vs doe in a treeline within a couple hundred yards. I’m guessing you’re looking either further away or more defined details like how many points a buck has.

Either way, training physically with your rifles is always beneficial. Work those small muscles by time under tension. Learned that at the academy when 10lbs of gear on a duty belt held in your hands extended out got tiring real quick.

You must be looking for minute details on game then. I’m thinking button buck vs doe in a treeline within a couple hundred yards. I’m guessing you’re looking either further away or more defined details like how many points a buck has.

Either way, training physically with your rifles is always beneficial. Work those small muscles by time under tension. Learned that at the academy when 10lbs of gear on a duty belt held in your hands extended out got tiring real quick.
The last deer I shot, I had a hard time discerning whether or not it was a buck. Its head was down, and its antlers were so small that I nearly mistook them for a tree branch. Also, times when a deer/other animal isn't positioned correctly and you need them to move to get a better shot, I really feel like heavier rifles can fatigue you and lead to a miss. I really learned that with my last deer, and thank god I downed him. The previous deer before that one, I missed because I left my scope power on too high when I was glassing the far treeline and a buck stepped out very close to me on my weak side. I had to do a 180 with my upper torso to shoot him and because of the odd position, I couldn't locate the deer in my scope right away (along with that fact that I had my power on too high). By the time I found him and started to pull the trigger, he was moving. The bullet glanced him and tore off some fur and skin. Lessons learned.

Won't get lighter than this in an AR10
That's so light, it's scary. Good parts though, Bartlein barrels, etc. I'll check them out.

Some of you people must hunt in a way that is 100% foreign to anything I've ever seen or done...…...

I've walked miles of Kansas hills looking for whitetails with nothing but a 5 round bolt action rifle (Howa 1500 30-06 or Sako 75 300 WM) and never felt in least bit undergunned to face any animal or human.

And believe me coyotes are not in short supply there

Some of you people must hunt in a way that is 100% foreign to anything I've ever seen or done...…...

I've walked miles of Kansas hills looking for whitetails with nothing but a 5 round bolt action rifle (Howa 1500 30-06 or Sako 75 300 WM) and never felt in least bit undergunned to face any animal or human.

For the most part, I agree, but I enjoy the ”different” of an ar. That said, take a look at some of those pig hunting in Texas vids on YouTube and you get an appreciation of applicability of ARs in a hunting scenario.

Glassing animals with a rifle, without support.
Shooting bucks with antlers so small you can’t tell them from twigs.
Bullets glancing off deer.
Im just waiting for “I shot at some movement in the brush, but I must have missed because when I went over there all I found was a dead dude in a flannel shirt...”

For the most part, I agree, but I enjoy the ”different” of an ar. That said, take a look at some of those pig hunting in Texas vids on YouTube and you get an appreciation of applicability of ARs in a hunting scenario.

Im just waiting for “I shot at some movement in the brush, but I must have missed because when I went over there all I found was a dead dude in a flannel shirt...”
This is why I want my own land for hunting lol

Reactions: godofthunder
That said, take a look at some of those pig hunting in Texas vids on YouTube and you get an appreciation of applicability of ARs in a hunting scenario.

I have, and the pigs scatter to the four winds on the first shot in 95% of those I've seen. Even in those occasions where something stands still or moves slowly enough to allow a reasonable chance at a second or third shot a bolt action can get it done if the shooter knows how to run one.

Thing is, using a bolt action rifle quickly is something most people don't know how to do. Same as using a sling for support in the field.

Reactions: RackSqueezeBang

Yeah red flags on here for sure

as for hogs. We've got a bunch in AL and I always seem to get more with my bolt than with my AR. I've gotten some 2 for 1's with the bolt gun but never with my 6.8. I think it really just means I suck with my AR and need to slow down rather than just spraying. Eitherway, I've never felt under gunned with a bolt action and a pocket full of bullets.

I happened across this a few days ago. I suppose you could argue that it is the exceptions that make it to video- and I won’t argue the point. But, ARs in action on pigs...

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
This thread is all things, funny, entertaining, sad, and embarassing. Some of the comments and concerns are laughable. C'mon boys, this is supposed to a room full of men and grown adults. Some of you must hunt in fantasy land

bullets glancing off of deer? you using bb's? I've never seen this, never heard of this, didn't even know this was a thing. please explain

@RUTGERS95
The last deer I shot, I had a hard time discerning whether or not it was a buck. Its head was down, and its antlers were so small that I nearly mistook them for a tree branch. Also, times when a deer/other animal isn't positioned correctly and you need them to move to get a better shot, I really feel like heavier rifles can fatigue you and lead to a miss. I really learned that with my last deer, and thank god I downed him. The previous deer before that one, I missed because I left my scope power on too high when I was glassing the far treeline and a buck stepped out very close to me on my weak side. I had to do a 180 with my upper torso to shoot him and because of the odd position, I couldn't locate the deer in my scope right away (along with that fact that I had my power on too high). By the time I found him and started to pull the trigger, he was moving. The bullet glanced him and tore off some fur and skin. Lessons learned.

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
I have a DPMS GII Hunter in .308. It weighs exactly 7 pounds empty. Shoots sub MOA with 168s or 175s. I think I paid about $900 for it, I don’t know if they are available anymore but it is an awesome rifle for the money
I have the same set up, topped with a Strike Eagle scope and really really like it as a do all; was surprised how well it shoots after I got the right setting on the gas block and the proper weight buffer. Very pleased with it!

I've been taking a couple of ~10 lb AR15s (6.5 Grendel and 5.56) hunting over the past year and don't feel the need to go any lighter. If I was hiking up & down mountains all day, I would definitely prefer to shed a pound or two. However, I always have some sort of support system with me -- so fatigue with off-hand support isn't an issue.

I won't try to dissuade you from getting a new rifle if you really want one, but I think what you really need first is a pair of binoculars for target ID, and a set of lightweight shooting sticks for support. These will help you with whatever rifle you end up hunting with.

who is glassing game with a rifle offhand? Fuck.

I admit, glassing deer with a scope is an amateur move, however my scope is much better than most binoculars/spotting scopes. But there's a difference between glassing with a scope and watching an animal through a scope waiting for a good shot. That can take a while too. And there's nothing wrong with shooting a small buck or missing a deer either.

Last edited:
I've been taking a couple of ~10 lb AR15s (6.5 Grendel and 5.56) hunting over the past year and don't feel the need to go any lighter. If I was hiking up & down mountains all day, I would definitely prefer to shed a pound or two. However, I always have some sort of support system with me -- so fatigue with off-hand support isn't an issue.

I won't try to dissuade you from getting a new rifle if you really want one, but I think what you really need first is a pair of binoculars for target ID, and a set of lightweight shooting sticks for support. These will help you with whatever rifle you end up hunting with.
I do need binoculars. The reason I haven't gotten any is because the ones I've used are vastly inferior to my scope.
bullets glancing off of deer? you using bb's? I've never seen this, never heard of this, didn't even know this was a thing. please explain
The bullet tore off some fur. "Glancing" wasn't a good word.

I guess I'm neurotic, and I worry too much. I know it'll likely never be a problem, especially where I tend to hunt. However, it's not a problem until it is, and I'd feel safer in the woods with a semi-automatic, especially in more dangerous areas.

Just skimmed so I may have missed it, but why not build something? I get the impression you're not gonna be completely happy with anything off the shelf anyway.

If a lightweight ar10 is the goal, you can build a very accurate, very light one for less than the nemo. You could have a smith build one for less than the nemo.

I've seen guys with ar10's in the 4 lb range. That's obviously a little extreme, but 7 or 8 lbs with glass isn't out of line.

I have a dilemma. I want an all-purpose AR-10 as my designated hunting rifle, a rifle I can use for all types of hunting and game. My issue is that AR-10 rifles are heavy, with the lightest I've found being the 8.2 lb. Nemo Arms and CMMG's 8.25 lb. Resolute 300. With a decent scope, I'm looking at 9.5 pounds at least, if not closer to ten pounds. My current rifle is a Savage 270 win that comes in at 7.4 pounds. My question is: is the extra 2-2.5 pounds enough to cause me to have issues holding my gun up for long periods of time in the event I'm watching an animal in the optic? The last deer I killed took a few minutes to identify as a buck through my scope. I am willing to spend the six grand on a Nemo .308 and a decent scope, I just want some feedback from educated folks about gun weight. Thanks.
Weight is only a negative when you are humping miles in rough country. Once you have horns in sight, you will never know. I have a light weight 6.8 spc that I hunt black tail that is pretty light for an, but is heavier than my tikka lite. If I’m walking miles at 9’000 feet plus, then the tikka is on my back.

This thread is turning comical if it wasn’t sad and dangerous

Glancing off bullets, using A SCOPE as an observation device, using a pistol to shoot a bear when you have a rifle.

Bfhog take a deep breath and slow down a minute. You only point ur rifle at shit you want to kill. It’s not amateur. It’s fuckin dangerous.

If you have even a medium level of competency and pick a bolt gun with a decent bolt stroke your ability to run a bolt gun will exceed your ability to ethically shoot animals. Deer and ‘roo cullers don’t use aR10’s for a reason. I’m sure hog guys do, but I don’t dabble in that

If you can’t point shoot a rifle at 10ft for whatever danger ur imagining, adding semi auto and it’s heavy bcg isn’t going to turn ya into Travis Haley.

Fact is bears (any animal for that matter) aren’t killed by ft lbs of energy. A 300 win mag with bonded bullets won’t reliably bang flop them. What ya need is to sever the CNS, or break its ability for locomotion. You have no option for that on a charge reliably. If you get ambushed in the alders ur going to get one shot. Maximum.

I haven’t a clue what scope ur running but a set of Japanese viper HD’s will be 100 times better then even the best rifle scope as an observation device. If only for the obvious Fov and depth of field alone.

As stated previously, 77gr tmk are plenty enough for most any critters you’ll ever encounter. Satisfactory results on moose, musk ox, caribou, black bear, grizz, mule deer, whitetail, chamois, Tahr, red deer, Sika, axis, fallow, antelope and hogs that i’ve Seen first hand or know of mates getting it done. Haven’t seen or heard of ironside bull elk being shot but I’m sure they won’t like one in the lungs either.

Either way you might want to ditch the idea of getting gear and get a set of skills instead

Reactions: 308pirate
I have various bolt action and semi autos between 7 lbs to 15 lbs that I use for hunting. I find the best combo is something that balances well and can spot impacts. Your personal strength and width of shoulders determines where a rifle gets too heavy. A semi auto normally weighs more than a bolt and easier to mess up a shot. I like a semi auto for certain hunts like predators where multiple targets might present themselves at a stand. Also good for hogs. For like elk hunting though you only have one target a 8.5-13.5 lb bolt rifle setup is my preference depending on distance.

Reactions: Aescobar17
I do need binoculars. The reason I haven't gotten any is because the ones I've used are vastly inferior to my scope.

If what you’re saying is true then you need to step up your optics game long before you even consider a new rifle. A good set of binos will be your most used asset in the field, and if a Diamondback is better than any you’ve used you’re missing a lot of animals or detail you never knew existed.

Reactions: BCP