• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunbroker sucker.....or not?

PJC7250

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2002
Apollo, Pa.
I was at the range today finishing up shooting my SA M1A NM & Bushmaster AR when a guy arrived and noticed my M1A and commented that it was nice and that he had just bought one from Gunbroker for $1,600. While walking out to the 100 yard line I explained to the guy that his rifle should do about the same as mine Sub-MOA.

When we got back to the benches I checked out his rig. First the sights were off a M1 Garand (Lock Bar). I know they are interchangeable. His rig had a cheesy ART scope replica in a mount that that made the ones SA make seem like top of the line. The wood stock was nice, but there was a sling swivel placed in the vent hole where a bipod was attached. The bolt looked like it had "SA" marked, but I wasn't sure. The barrel had no markings. The guy said that this was an older rifle....date unknown. I explained to the guy that this rifle looked like it was built up on a good SA receiver. When I left the range the guy was still trying to get on paper at 50 yards.

Back in 2000 I bought a standard SA M1A from a guy who built it using TRW military parts for $1,200. This rifle is so dam accurate that I rarely fire my National Match and almost never fire my Super Match.

I didn't have the heart to the guy that I thought he paid way too much for that M1A. For that money he could have bought a new SOCOM or Scout M1A. I also didn't have the heart to tell the guy that last year I had my Super Match for sale for around $1,750 with mags. But since we got a new president the prices are going through the roof.

Man, you better know what you are buying on Gunbroker.......or you just might purchase a piece of crap for you hard earned money.

Did this guy get a bad or good deal?

Re: Gunbroker sucker.....or not?

NO! I think you summed it up pretty well. A built up gun with marginal parts just looking for a sucker who waited too long to buy a semi-automatic with jacked up prices. Seen way too much of that going on lately.

It's just like on eBay. There are good deals to be had but you need to know what you are looking for and how much it is worth or you can be taken for a gouging.

I have collected vintage Luger pistols for years. There is an old saying the collecting world. "You better know your guns or the person you are buying from". In this case, he would have been well served to do his homework first and understand what he was purchasing and what was available on the market or made his buy from someone he knew and trusted.

If he is happy with it, the no he didn't. Could he have gotten a better deal? Sure he could of. But like any auction site, he paid what he was willing to pay. Unless a false description was given on th rifle, then I'd say he got what he wanted and leave it at that. And next time maybe he will be a more prudent shopper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reminds me of a MT. Dew commercial from a couple years ago... "He got hosed Tommy, he got hosed" </div></div>

Off topic, but that was one of the greatest MT Dew commercials ever. Whatever happened to claymation Tommy?

And yes, the dude got hosed, IMO.

I was looking to pick up a M1A from gunbroker..."New in Box" though. I've been wary of the internet auctions, and now you got me pretty sour.

Anyone hear horror stories about a so-called NIB gun? When i bought a Remington 700 last year I called a place that had an auction listed as NIB. The guy at the counter said "Yeah, we got a 700p in stock, it's got a scope mounted on it; whole package for $1300.00." Apparently it didn't sell on the shelf so they put it on gunbroker. If it's never been fired I can live with it, but I'll be ready to throw down if I run wipe-out through the bore an blue goo comes out...

I'm not trying to turn peoples opinion about the internet gun sites. I've purchased many rifles from the internet and have returned many that were not as advertised. I think the guy told me that this M1A was labled a "Sniper Rifle". I think because of the cheap base, mounts and scope. At least he could get at little money for the original lock bar sight from a Garand collector. Well, if he is satisfied....thats all that counts.

ZL- I loved that commercial, just thinking about it makes me chuckle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking to pick up a M1A from gunbroker..."New in Box" though. I've been wary of the internet auctions, and now you got me pretty sour.

Anyone hear horror stories about a so-called NIB gun? When i bought a Remington 700 last year I called a place that had an auction listed as NIB. The guy at the counter said "Yeah, we got a 700p in stock, it's got a scope mounted on it; whole package for $1300.00." Apparently it didn't sell on the shelf so they put it on gunbroker. If it's never been fired I can live with it, but I'll be ready to throw down if I run wipe-out through the bore an blue goo comes out... </div></div>

I'd be really pissed too. I've bought 9-10 firearms from gunbroker, 1 of them was listed NIB and another was "fired a magazine through it, can't handle it. Practically NIB"

The NIB was a Ruger, the almost NIB was a Glock. Both had powder residue in them. Ruger test fires there stuff before it leaves the factory, so that explains the residue. I've seen revolvers come straight from a distributor and have powder burns on the cylinder and unburned flake left in the bore.

I don't know if Remmy test fires their rifles, if the thing has a bunch of fouling in it, then maybe you have a case to be pissed, but if it's listed NIB, looks NIB, comes with all the wrappings, etc. and has a hint of blue in the bore, then I'd guess it's just a test shot at the factory.

Guys, from the major manufactures there is no such thing as an "unfired" NIB firearm. All manufactures test fire their firearms. Most do it properly and fire a SAMMI spec proof round thru it which is a load that is 30% over the SAMMI spec for that round. On most S&W, Ruger and other revolvers it is a proof round in every other cylinder so that all the cylinder walls are subjected to proof pressures. Most rifle manufactures will also do a two or three round "feed, fire, function" test.

He paid what he thought it was worth. Unless he asked, I wouldnt volunteer the info. Other than maybe mentioning where he might get a good deal on one if he was going to buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He paid what he thought it was worth. Unless he asked, I wouldnt volunteer the info. Other than maybe mentioning where he might get a good deal on one if he was going to buy another. </div></div>

I agree, don't make the guy feel like an ass, even if he got taken.

FWIW, sometimes the seller's on GB are morons. I just bought a 1955 Winchester Model 63 this morning for $320 shipped. I was browsing on a lark and figured "WTF, I'll never be able to drop a grand on one today anyway, why not window shop"

Looks to be in spectacular condition, I wonder if it was a mistake and was supposed to be $<span style="font-weight: bold">1</span>299.99 Buy It Now instead of $299.99

Whatever, it's mine and it's been shipped already.

By the blue goo, I meant a ton of fouling. I think I'll end up picking one up anyhow, just cause I cant find a new one anywhere else.

The problem with the buy it now feature is they do not have to answer you. I purchased a bunch of .223 ammo from a seller on GB and they never responded to my emails, PMs or other attempts to contact. I sent a heads up to the GB adminstrator saying this posting was possibly a SCAM. They responded back saying the seller had no obligation to contact me, and they would not intervene because a buyer and seller were not getting along. We never even spoke so I have no idea how they assumed we were not getting along. I sent second note in response and they never returned (GB) my email. Fortunately I did not spend any money, as they clearly were not on my side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ursus148</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with the buy it now feature is they do not have to answer you. I purchased a bunch of .223 ammo from a seller on GB and they never responded to my emails, PMs or other attempts to contact. I sent a heads up to the GB adminstrator saying this posting was possibly a SCAM. They responded back saying the seller had no obligation to contact me, and they would not intervene because a buyer and seller were not getting along. We never even spoke so I have no idea how they assumed we were not getting along. I sent second note in response and they never returned (GB) my email. Fortunately I did not spend any money, as they clearly were not on my side. </div></div>

I agree that there's always a possibility of issues with an online auction site, I don't send money until I can talk to the person over the phone first. If they can't respond to an email, I am certainly not sending them money.

This guy spoke with me on the phone yesterday to give me the tracking number and still seemed very pleased that it shipped. Considering the fact that I bought it sight unseen I paid with a CC, I have a slightly better chance of getting my money back if it's BS. I'm still hopeful though.

Online auction sites like GB have the potential to be abused by dishonest sellers. I have purchased guns and reloading components through GB many times and have yet to be cheated; however, I do admit I am always very nervous after I send my money and before the item arrives. I purchased a US Optics scope once through eBay and about a month after I received it I got a call from the FBI. Evidently it had been stolen from the Department of Energy and they wanted it back. Fortunately the seller, who had been duped by his friend (the thief) and gave me a refund, and go his money back from the former friend. I agree with the advice that you should always speak to the seller and get a feel for their honesty if you are going to make a major purchase online.

It's hard to tell if you're getting a good deal or you're getting ripped off on GB. Try to only buy from sellers who offer a three day inspection period. I bought a Sig 229 off there a while back, it looked great but when I actually got it the mag release was all loose and didn't work correctly and it jammed a lot.

Definitely talk to the seller first. Sellers who are selling faulty gear aren't always scammers, sometimes they're just untrustworthy dealers trying to make a buck off naive schmucks like me. If you exchange a couple e-mails or phone calls with them they'll be less likely to lie to you and rip you off if they're the latter type. The scammers will usually just ignore you, I think.

I ripped into a guy yesterday over email actually.

I asked for the S/N of an old Ruger Single Six so that I could figure out if it's CR legal or not.

He replies back " It's DOM is 1955 and it has target sights on it"

No 1955 Single Sixes have target sights unless someone had a 'smith put them on later. And they certainly aren't in the picture. I asked him for the COMPLETE serial number. Turns out it's a 6 digit number over 180000 so it was made in the 60's.

I was pretty annoyed actually, if I had just sent my license and recieved it I would be in serious trouble trying to deal with a non CR piece that showed up on my doorstep like that.

I sent him a 2 line email, I doubt I'll get a response, and I reported him to GB.

I did get burned once off gunbroker, guy I traded my HK91 for a Remington 700 LTR was supposed to send me a Harris Bipod. After 6 months of me nagging I gave up and "got it" that we was never going to send it. I just found out that guy went to jail for 3 years for selling the same HK93 full-auto to multiple buyers....