• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing GunKoted Taurus PT92

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
I've been practicing left and right and I'm getting my procedure down so I figured I would share my latest job. This is on my Taurus PT92 painted with GunKote Flat Dark Earth. This is the first time I've done a pistol. Came out looking pretty good to me. The slide shows up as a different color under the flash but looks to same with the naked eye. How's it look to you guys?

before:
DSCN6930.JPG

after:

P1030468.JPG

P1030478.JPG

P1030479.JPG

Mike
San Angelo

Re: GunKoted Taurus PT92

Looks great and the tactical "Krylon" is good stuff!

Thanks!

That's not Krylon my friend. Although it looks close to the same shade of Tan as their Ultra Flat but that is baked on Gun Kote. Pretty dang tuff stuff so far.

I still occasionally use the Krylon on top of GunKote though. You can just wipe it down with Acetone at any time and you're back to the GunKoted surface in no time at all.

Mike

The Krylon reference was a joke. Its along the same lines as calling a glock tactical Tupperware.

Seriously,it looks good.

Sorry man, I was actually PM'd on another thread by a guy wanting to know where I could get Krylon in the "GunKote tan". I was just thinking along the same lines. My mistake. I appreciate the compliment.

Mike

So far pretty well. I've only used GunKote so far, haven't used any of the other higher end finishes like Cerakote or Moly-Resin though. Its held up to any chemical I have to try. Acetone, Alcohol, MEK, paint thinner, Butch's BoreShine, etc. Nothing touches it. Its does come off with 120 Aluminum Oxide easy enough. I've tested various colors on several steel samples I've made. Its easy to work with and coats very well and very thin. So far, all of the owners have been very happy with it.

I've Gunkoted two guns that were originally painted with Krylon and one with Duracoat. Again, both owners were happy with the results.

As far as normal wear and tear, I'd say it gets thin where you would think it would. Anywhere there is friction or abrasion it gets worn off eventually. Its not going to last in high-wear places forever but if you oil/lube properly, it holds up well. I'll take the pistol out this weekend and then take pics of it after 100-200 rounds so you can see where it has thinned a little.

Mike