• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunna need a Biathalon Sling to carry this

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
Cuz carrying this biach into the woods is gunna SUCK!!!! My barrel came in after 5.5 months of wait time. But I know I'm going to be pleased to the utmost. Gun weight without ammo, scope and suppressor...11.8.lbs With scope and suppressor just shy of 15.lbs. The scope on there is off my hunting rig. I plan on getting either a USO or a NF. I'm only plan on shooting 2 different loads through this gun. 175 grain BTHP and 180 grain RN(sub-sonic loaded). I'll put some cheapy fodder through it maybe and if I get the hankering maybe some 200 grain VMax's.

I haven't shot it yet cuz I don't have a gas tube and don't have a crush washer:homer:, but I did order them so they'll be here either tomorrow or early next week.

60293_855940202492_68128142_44789218_725140_n.jpg

60988_855939304292_68128142_44789206_3043720_n.jpg

Armalite upper and lower
Krieger Barrel 22 1/2"
JP trigger
Sierra hand grip
Magpul PRS
Magpul Aluminum winter trigger guard(I like the looks)
VTAC Rifle length handguard
SAS muzzle brake and stainless steel suppressor

Re: Gunna need a Biathalon Sling to carry this

At almost 15 lb, I'd seriously consider getting one of the new helium-filled tube-type slings from SuperTac Professional Accuracy Sniper Gear. From what I've heard, they can drop the total load by almost 2.5 lb, closer to 3.0 lb if you go with the hydrogen-filled version.

Seriously, very nice looking piece, I'm glad you're the one will be carrying it in the woods. Let us know how it shoots.

To hell with the biathlon sling...you need a Sherpa!!!
wink.gif

Really, 15lbs or so isn't all that bad unless you are humping it up and down mountainsides. The problem will be the OAL of the rifle with the can attached. You'll just have to be cautious moving through brush that you don't end up carrying tree limbs, underbrush, etc. along for the ride.

As for slings, I'd get one of the PRS adapter plates for flush cups ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=792250 ) and move one of your swivel studs to the side of the rail (or get a flush cup adapter for your rail) so that you can carry the rifle flat against your back. For carrying, a wider sling is better as it will distribute the weight better. Materials/construction is personal preference. I have used Vero Vellini wide-top, air cushioned slings on heavy rifle or when I knew I was going to be hauling them all over God's country on a hunt. They work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At almost 15 lb, I'd seriously consider getting one of the new helium-filled tube-type slings from SuperTac Professional Accuracy Sniper Gear. From what I've heard, they can drop the total load by almost 2.5 lb, closer to 3.0 lb if you go with the hydrogen-filled version.

Seriously, very nice looking piece, I'm glad you're the one will be carrying it in the woods. Let us know how it shoots. </div></div>

laugh.gif
Did I miss an internet flame fest with someone claiming that they had an uber tactical sling that pwns all others and it was outrageously priced?

Sorry...I made that s--t up, I couldn't resist. I've got a DTA SRS Covert on the way and I'm pretty sure it'll also be in the 15 lb range fully decked out, but at ~30" long maybe a little easier carrying in the woods? FWIW, I'm guessing you'd probably need a helium balloon about 5 ft in diameter on a 10 ft string to take 3 lb off the weight. Kinda hard to hide that, even in camo (LOL).

Seriously, that is an awesome looking weapon. Just for my own curiosity, how do you find the weight seems to be distributed? It looks to be pretty well balanced in the pics with the PRS, even with the can.

Whats the crush washer for? Most supressor companies frown upon a crush washer being used, as it could allow the can attachment device to be mounted incorrectly and lead to baffle strikes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Seriously, that is an awesome looking weapon. Just for my own curiosity, how do you find the weight seems to be distributed? It looks to be pretty well balanced in the pics with the PRS, even with the can. [/quote

It's pretty front heavy with the suppressor. It's not supper balanced but definitely manageable to shoot supported by a fence post or tree.

Outsy said:
Whats the crush washer for? Most supressor companies frown upon a crush washer being used, as it could allow the can attachment device to be mounted incorrectly and lead to baffle strikes. </div></div>

It came with a peel washer but I prefer crush washes for positive holding pressure on the muzzle brake/suppressor adaptor

Doc, you may want to consult your can manufacturer ...... most times the peel washer is used to time the brake/mount and rocksett is used to hold it on......

OK this is what i would do get a smith to time the break for you without any washers at all because you will be having a can hanging off it it is a better way to go you only need to use them if you can not mount the break correctly in the first place. As you have not fitted the gas tube rip the barrel out after marking the top and have the shoulder machined on the barrel to make the break lock up perfectly in the correct position and forget the washers altogether. It is not a hard thing to do and would make the whole rifle better finished in the smaler details.

I hope it shoots well for you.