• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guns for Grandmas

Chickentoast

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2019
Thought some more experienced people, and perhaps some in the same situation might weigh in.

Looking for a handgun and carbine combo for mom. She used to be able to handle a 12 gauge... at all of 100 lbs wet, but now in her 70's and with arthritic hands, she couldn't rack any of my Glocks or 1911's, and even has difficulty with the weight and bolt manipulation of a CZ 527. Self-defense is unlikely - much more likely is a black bear or bobcat / fishercat encounter, but always nice to be prepared, and I'd feel better thousands of miles away.

So, I'm thinking of:

1. Kel-tec PMR / CMR combo. 22 mag, light weight, easy manipulation. 22 mag not ideal, but with 30 rd mags... maybe.

2. Shield EZ in 380 or 9mm & PCC with easy controls - what is lightest, easiest to operate and recoils least? Banshee, Stribog, MP5 :ROFLMAO:, etc.?

3. Snubby 38/357 & a 38/357 short/light lever action

4. Non-lethal options - tazers, sprays, etc?

Less-lethal- Pepper spray and an air horn for animals. Tasers are really not that effective.
Handgun- I've never shot one, but have played with the S&W EZ line and they are really nice; just have no experience with reliability, but haven't heard much negative. I'd still go 9mm. Download her some rounds for practice. She'll never feel recoil if she ever has to use it for self defense.

ETA: For spray go with a can with a sizeable amount for animals. Those little $10 gas station jobs are all but worthless. You want something she can put out a fog of spray for the animal to have to navigate through.

This is probably the only situation where I'd recommend a PCC over a 300blk -you've got someone who isn't a gun person, but needs a pistol AND a carbine. Make it simple for them by having both guns fire the same ammunition. And that means the pistol is the limiting factor.

9mm seems the most likely to fill both roles but might be too much recoil in the pistol. 380 would be better, but don't know if there are any carbines chambered in that.

Last edited:
An AR or mcx rattler would be very easy to learn, manipulate, fire accurately.

I don't think a 38/357 revolver is a good idea. They are pretty heavy on recoil compared to other rounds imo.

They do sell slider rackers and things for glocks and other pistols if it would be easier for her.

Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle_main-02.jpg

Thought some more experienced people, and perhaps some in the same situation might weigh in.

Looking for a handgun and carbine combo for mom. She used to be able to handle a 12 gauge... at all of 100 lbs wet, but now in her 70's and with arthritic hands, she couldn't rack any of my Glocks or 1911's, and even has difficulty with the weight and bolt manipulation of a CZ 527. Self-defense is unlikely - much more likely is a black bear or bobcat / fishercat encounter, but always nice to be prepared, and I'd feel better thousands of miles away.

So, I'm thinking of:

1. Kel-tec PMR / CMR combo. 22 mag, light weight, easy manipulation. 22 mag not ideal, but with 30 rd mags... maybe.

2. Shield EZ in 380 or 9mm & PCC with easy controls - what is lightest, easiest to operate and recoils least? Banshee, Stribog, MP5 :ROFLMAO:, etc.?

3. Snubby 38/357 & a 38/357 short/light lever action

4. Non-lethal options - tazers, sprays, etc?
The EZs are nice and reliable. Very easy to rack if you are worried about it needing to be operable by those with smaller/weaker hands.

Less-lethal- Pepper spray and an air horn for animals. Tasers are really not that effective.
Handgun- I've never shot one, but have played with the S&W EZ line and they are really nice; just have no experience with reliability, but haven't heard much negative. I'd still go 9mm. Download her some rounds for practice. She'll never feel recoil if she ever has to use it for self defense.

ETA: For spray go with a can with a sizeable amount for animals. Those little $10 gas station jobs are all but worthless. You want something she can put out a fog of spray for the animal to have to navigate through.
100%

grab a paint ball gun and see if she can draw and hit you while running at her...not going to happen

then have her do it while your running from the weak side or from behind...not going to happen

and thats with no stress or heavy clothing, gloves or cell phone in her hand

yet, anyone with any hand L/R can use a hairspray bottle

roll it on the ground left and right making a wall

nevermind the safety factor of self inflicted wound with a pistol vs spraying your face with spray under stress

just a opinion

I got mom [ same problem with her hands] a break open single shot 20 Ga. with insert chamber for 357/38 special. She also has a Beretta pistol with a flip up barrel. No racking the slide on that one.

My suggestion is based on her hands you skip the pistol all together
Get her something like this Ruger PCC:

It's very simple to use, and there is a big honking handle that you tug slightly on to slide open the chamber so anyone can do it, even if their fingers are not working well.

Depending on her, put a laser or a huge holographic sight on it and call it good.

7 pounds, it will be easy to shoot and if she goes out, carry it on her back with a nice padded sling.

Thanks for the laughs and replies. Won't show my mom because she'll ask for your addresses and go spank you and/or wash your mouths out with soap :ROFLMAO:

Had no idea about those slide racking trinkets... will get one and make her try it on one of mine. Like the idea of Glock mags for both, and capacity over the Shield EZ. She's fine with recoil - printed ~5" groups @ 25 yards with my Les Baer in 45, although she did prefer my G34 - couldn't rack either of them, though.

Best is the non-lethal stuff, so will definitely be getting her some sprays and horns as well.

I remember seeing ads for a company (I think in Texas?) that makes a .410 shotgun round in a pistol platform. I think they had a few others as well. I can’t remember the name though. No personal experience with them either but that might be something to look into for this application.

The PMR is your huckleberry. Easy to load, easy to shoot, good 22 WMR ammo available for self defense.

I run this experiment every year for Father’s Day and mother's Day at our local range as a range safety officer.

Every grandma can load and shoot the PMR, with good groups for bedroom distances.

Nothing else comes close in ease of use or hits ratio.

9mm, shotgun, blah, blah, blah. That’s all bullshit at the grandma user level.

Don’t overcomplicate this.

Respectfully, it's not just the action to deal with, it's trying to load mags. with arthritic hands at the Grandma user level. And a black bear.......nah. Will the 22 mag. kill a black bear ? Shure. But you better hit him right........ at the Grandma user level.

full auto 12 gauge belt fed attached to the walker with kc lights to blind the intruder and a tazer so they move a little slower

Reactions: Liberator52
And how many black bears do you think grandma will encounter and how do you think her arthritic hands will handle a 9mm better than a 22 WMR? Like one shot and drop the pistol due to recoil/pain?

You’re solving a worst case grandma vs the bear. I’m solving grandma is armed, can hit things, has lots of payload, and five loaded mags will last her lifetime.

If she can’t rack the slide on a glock, which is a given by the OP, she probably isn’t holding on to one during any sustained (2 or more shots) course of fire.

So, Grammy fires two shots, poorly because she can’t practice much, loses the gun and is unarmed, or, practices a lot, can work the slide, handle the gun, and has 28 rounds in reserve after a few warning shots.

She’ll never successfully gunfight the bear. Best case is scaring it off. That’s reality.

Granny with the PMR for the win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickentoast
Black Bears generally run away unless cubs are involved - they used to go after the suet in the bird feeder in the fall, and my grandfather would shoe them away with a broom, seriously :ROFLMAO: - he was awesome. But a fishercat did attack my uncle when he was a teenager, while collecting beaver and muskrat from his traps. Beat it to death with his 22 and cracked the stock - I still have it, a Marlin bolt action. Anyway, doubt there is much risk just hiking snowmobile trails, but as I said, it's mom, and I'd feel better if she had something other than a gun she can't control very well. If I don't get her something, she'll be walking with an old double barrel 410, a single shot 16 gauge, or an old 5-shot 32 revolver. Also just remembered there is a German Luger my grandfather brought back from the war, but it hasn't been shot, ever, at least in my memory.

22 mag is a semi-auto with 30 rounds. Have to believe that would be better than an EZ in 9mm with an 8 round single stack, especially in the heat of the moment, and while a Glock in 9mm with a 33 round stick would certainly do a better job... it's going to be too big and heavy, plus the ring on the rear of the slide for racking, for that 0.1% chance scenario. Would be cool to get her a carbine as well, maybe one in 9mm or a 38/357, but that CMR uses the same mags, is super light, and is essentially a 16" PMR.

Ruger 5.7 pistol? I don't trust 22 wmr. Had too many dead primers/rims over the years on rimfire ammo to ever consider them worthy to carry. I'd feel much better about a centerfire cartridge.

Ruger 5.7 pistol? I don't trust 22 wmr. Had too many dead primers/rims over the years on rimfire ammo to ever consider them worthy to carry. I'd feel much better about a centerfire cartridge.

Interesting, and pair it with a PS90! :ROFLMAO: I discounted the 5.7 due to ammo cost and availability, but I guess it all comes down to how much she practices. Would prefer to send her ammo frequently and push her to burn it up, but I doubt she'd actually shoot much more than once a month, and probably no more than 50 rounds each time.

Reactions: Yoteski