• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guns in Denver?

_newshooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2022
Texas
Does anyone know if Denver has any crazy gun laws? Im a flight attendant and going to be moving there. Was wondering if its a gun friendly state where I can fly my own rifle in without restrictions or if I would need to do something to make it legal.

Or if anyone knows a good place to go shooting. I just shoot 22lr so any suggestions on where to shoot or if there are any local comps to check out. I really don't know where to find shooting resources out here in Denver. Guess im not so tech savvy in finding what's available.

Any help appreciated!

The city of Denver has an AWB, and is on the cusp of passing a law banning CCW holders from carrying in public buildings and I believe city parks. Denver also has a big-city crime problem. An internet search will give you more information. There are some nice communities in the Denver Metro area, but Denver proper is not one of them

There are lots of RF matches around the Front Range. Here are two links to get you started:

Last edited:
The city of Denver has an AWB, and is on the cusp of passing a law banning CCW holders from carrying in public buildings and I believe city parks. Denver also has a big-city crime problem. An internet search will give you more information. There are some nice communities in the Denver Metro area, but Denver proper is not one of them

There are lots of RF matches around the Front Range. Here are two links to get you started:

Thank you!

I lived in Denver for 20 years before I retired 5 years ago and moved back home to central Missouri, so my info on Denver and CO. gun laws are dated. At the time I left the state, they had a magazine capacity limit of 15 rounds, and the cities of Denver and Boulder had laws against "assault" rifles within their city limits.

As far as local gun clubs, there are quite a few but they may have waiting lists as far as being able to join them. I was a member of the Golden Gun Club, and it's located east of the metro area at Buyers CO. The club offers a rifle range out to 500 yards, and a trap and skeet range. I don't think I ever had to wait on a shooting bench to open up as far as rifle and pistol shooting.

Cherry Creek State Park has a public range but expect some wait times on the weekend for a shooting position to open up. You can also rent various pistols and rifles. I think the pistol range went out 25 yards and the rifle range is limited to 100. You have to purchase a park pass in addition to a range pass.

Cherry Creek has a private gun club with a 100 yard underground rifle range that's open 24 hours. I never went there so I can't say more than this.

Once you get settled, go up to Chugwater, Wy and shoot some prairie dogs on the state land. Once I stated doing that I gave up shooting competitions.

Just don't live in Denver Proper.

Nobody enforces anything here, I do whatever I want and nothing is off limits

We have tons of matches, just about every weekend there is something, MHSA is 25 Minutes up the road

It's not that bad, any bullshit in CO is super isolated and 5ft past the line nobody cares

reality is

Greenmill is kinda Okay, there are limited events there, .22 only, 200-yard max

Golden Gun Club, you will never get in, big waiting list, nobody uses it 500-yard max

Byers, CRC, limited use, short waiting list, 1000 yard range, slight wait, 1000 yards

Pawnee Sportsman, where everyone goes, monthly matches 1000+

Carson, Raton, etc, used for monthly matches 1000+

Cameo in Grand Junction is great too, more and more happening, but 3 hrs away

WY, has the WYCO Precision Rifle Events, new, , great events 1000+

Reactions: b6graham
i'm moving there in july. heading out later this month to house hunt

looking in lakewood area - outside city limits - as she will work in wheat ridge and i'll be in littleton

Edgewater is getting ready to drop some gun control stuff, but most of it probably won't survive

They are following the Boulder model and most of that in Boulder was struck down recently too

Frank pretty much nailed it with the matches. There are the occasional NRL22 /22x matches. I know the Rod and Gun club up by Wellington in Owl Canyon hosts a NRL 22 match. Peruse the NRL22 website for any others in Colorado. You don't have to be a member to shoot I believe. I shoot a club match every now and again with some buddies who are gracious enough to let me borrow a Vudoo since I sold mine.

Raton also hosts an occasion Saturday rimfire match before they set up for the centerfire match on Sunday. Look up the sporting rifle match at the Whittington center for info regarding that.

Reactions: Redfisher60
  • Angry
Reactions: camocorvette
If you just into 22lr, maybe come here. Outside of that, if you can live anywhere else - do it.

The gun laws are only going to get worse here. Worse is the cultural war against conservatives. Moved here in early 2000s and regret it everyday. The only day that is good living in CO, and especially Denver, is the day you move out since you'll get the cash out of your house.

It is mind bending expensive here: The average house in Denver is supposed to go over $1million in 2022. That and there are so many people, that getting up and down from the mountains is a royal pain and takes forever- and bring another bag of cash for a place in the mountains.

There is no reason to move to Denver if you can live anywhere, which I assume you have some flexibility?

Denver is basically Omaha with a nice backdrop. And THERE IS NO F"ING WATER HERE- and the trout are too smart for me to catch, get me some big dumb large-mouth bass and some mean Northern Pike.

Crime is up, stupidity is up even higher- and there is no off-ramp or end to this trajectory. I have ties here that I can't break, otherwise my house would be on the market and I'd be GONE. How bad is it? I'd rather live in Ohio or put up with the humidity in Florida.

Colorado is broken.

Same. Love the Rockies, hate the Commies. I moved further north and I go to WY every weekend.

Daughter graduates high school in two years and it's off to the WY ranch for good.

Today,

Edgewater
giphy.gif