• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GunSIte Ruger M77 Scout in .308

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
Could not find many reviews on this rifle, it would be mostly for GA deer and hogs. Anyone have one or messed with it? What is your take on the quality and function of the rifle? My local dealer has them for $750.

Thanks,
OW

Re: GunSIte Ruger M77 Scout in .308

i own one.

pros:
light and maneuverable
(barely) sub 1 MOA w/ 168 gr FGMM
very good iron sights
uses AICS magazines

cons:
bottom metal isn't metal (they say "glass reinforced nylon")
the flash suppressor has an open bottom design
barrel isn't free floated (easily fixed)
laminate stock (it's ugly and i'd prefer to have a composite stock)

the ruger M77 (mark II, i believe) action with a pivoting extractor. it is a very robust action and should give you years of trouble free shooting.

if there's anything in particular you'd like to know, just ask and i'll tell you what i know

Many Ruger M77's need a little bit of up pressure on the barrel tip to shoot their best. This rifle not being free floated, my or may not be a con after all.

It would seem that there is not much of a following for scout rifles anymore. Ruger could have hit a home run if they used the standard long or short action with the machined in cut outs for the standard Ruger rings. I am a Ruger lover and have two M77Rs both long actions. Made me stop and pay attention when I first saw it until I saw the scout set up for the scope.

I have one and I really like it. I have always been a fan of scout rifle (theory), but the execution never really appealed to me. Until Ruger's entry. I think it is the best so far. The only thing I don't like is the glass-reinforced bottom metal. I would have preferred actual metal.

I think that if the Ruger Scout rifle doesn't have a stripper notch, it might benefit from one.

Greg

I HAVE one FOR SALE if someone wants to try it out
smile.gif

I have NOT shot it... but I can tell that its a solid rifle and very compact.

It I wasnt .308 heavy in the safe right now... I would keep it.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Those of you who own, or have have the chance to work with one. Can you change out the flash suppressor or is it fixed? Also, is the ruger mag the one one that will fit? It almost looks like a M1A mag.

Thanks,
OW

I'm in the market for a Scout once my local dealer finds one (he is making a good trade-in offer on an M-forgery I will be glad to part with AND has a good price on the Scout) with the intention of putting a can on it from time to time. The flash hider is threaded on and so is removable, and Ruger says the threading is concentric to the bore (which is an important consideration if you are using a suppressor - ask me and the last "gunsmith" I used how I know!).

Yes, you can change out the flash suppressor. It accepts AICS mags.

I call BS to this newbie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my ruger isn't floated and it shoots sub half moa </div></div>

I see a lot of people saying it comes with AI mags, but the three GSR rifles I handled all had Accurate Mags. Seen a few folks say their Accurate Mags began to rust quickly as well.

Ruger's are like any other weapon you get a shooter or you don't. My 7mag with a Sierra varminter will do 1/4 moa with a standard sporting barrel. Many coyotes and prarie dogs are no longer because of that weapon. I used that before I got a dedicated 22-250. I still have it and have not burned out the barrel from keeping the FPS down to where I was not doing damage to it while reloading. The weapon is not glass bedded, just stock free float.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would seem that there is not much of a following for scout rifles anymore. Ruger could have hit a home run if they used the standard long or short action with the machined in cut outs for the standard Ruger rings. I am a Ruger lover and have two M77Rs both long actions. Made me stop and pay attention when I first saw it until I saw the scout set up for the scope. </div></div>

I know this is an old thread, but the Scout is built on a standard short action, and does accept standard Ruger rings. In fact, it comes with a set. If you don't want to run a scope out front you can either ignore the scout rail, or take it off.