• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith for dummies?

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
I want to be able to build a rifle from top to bottom some day, but for now I am interested in starting out learning some of the basics and going from there.

Can anyone recommend some of the basic gunsmithing tools I will need at home to get started. Maybe some instructional video's etc.

I am nowhere near being able to do this yet, but my biggest interest is designing and building some muzzle breaks right now. I wouldn't think you would be able to do this with basic hand tools though?

Thanks for the insight,
Lw

Re: Gunsmith for dummies?

LW, You will need a small lathe, preferably not a hobby lathe, one of the chinese grizzlies, or an older American one. If youcanfind an old Hardinge tool room lathe, they are great, very smooth and stiff for what you will need. And a Bridgeport type mill or two also, you will find that if you do a lot of work you have one set up for each major operation, so you don't have to redo major setups each time. I'll post a pic of our shop Tuesday, and we aren't in the rifle business, but you'll get the idea.

And bring $$$ too, for each dollar spent on lathes and mills, expect to spend as much on tooling. Ebay will become your friend.

Great information so far. Much appreciated gents. Keep the advice comming if you will; i'm all ears. What is a BFH?

Thanks,
Lw

Just a guess, but BFH may be Big Freaking Hammer or something similar
smile.gif

madd0c

Carolina Blue Tip comes to mind -blow torch !

All joking aside, the BFH is a very important tool. I was given a semi-auto pistol one of my Captain's girl friends owned that he reassembled incorrectly after cleaning it. I couldn't fix it so I took i to the local "friend of the agency" gunsmith. After about 30 minutes of all the "right ways" it was BFH TIME" The ptoblem was the slige stop was in w/o going thru the link, thus blocking the function. One well placed BFH and viola!~ Slide was off/ stop came out, no major damage, just a few burrs cleaned up and the weapon was properly reassembled. My Captain was hero |Maybe got something in return), and me- the resident Agency "gunsmith" did good. Capt owed me one thanks to a BFH.

As a Firearms Instructor for a State Police agency, I enrolled in an On-Line Gunsmith Course thru Thompson University. Myself and the local Sheriff Dept Rangemaster took the course together. Between my State Agency and the County agency(major SE USA City)we had lots of guns to work on and use in the course. The one thing this type of course does not have in what the other posters said up front-machine tools(lathes. drill press,grinders, etc,) Taking that into consideration, I learned a hell of a lot of techical stuff, gained great reference sources, and was able to advance my career. The SO Range MAster is now retired with a part-time gunsmith shop.

Take some machining courses from the local tech college. Learning how to operate the machinery properly and safely will save a lot of headaches down the road.

AGI (American Gumsmith Institute) has some basic and advanced gunsmithing courses on DVD or Video.

Start of with some good hand tools and get really good measuring devices (caliper, depth mic, inside & outside mics). As for power tools, I'd start off with a 2 wheel grinder set up with a course and fine stone, a smaller grinder set up with course and fine wire wheel, and another grinder set up with polishing / buffing wheels. You'll need a belt/disk sander, a good (sturdy) benchtop drill press. Invest in a good Gunsmithing screwdriver set and a punch set, several hammers in a couple different sizes.

As for a lathe / mill, I went for the combo machine to start many, many moon ago. I am not unhappy with my decision. Over the years I've upgraded to bigger,better, dedicated machines but I still use the little combo machine for small projects. You can make a lot of money with one of those machines as long as you keep in mind just what they are.

Great advice above on finding a tech school or junior college close by and enrolling in a machine shop /machinist class. That will save you lots of money in useless parts later one.

Heya Lonewolf, another great addition would be to get the book, "The Complete Guide To Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" by John Hinnant. Once you start running the lathe their are jigs and fixtures you will need for your new hobby and this book has them. It will also give you some great practice while learning.

Good luck
Kapac

Along with everything mentioned above, you will need a good barrel vise and action wrench for the action in question. A small drive torque wrench, (mine is a PROTO 3/8" square drive but with an adapter it works very well on 1/4" drive for Torx / hex screw heads.)

Also like mentioned above any experience with machinist tools will help. A 0-1" micrometer and a 6" dial caliper (or electronic) will help when you need them. It takes a long time to get a "feel" for working with micrometers. Buy a couple of different guage blocks or pins and practice reading to get the same number the pin is ground to.

Find a local machine shop and ask if you can work part time just learning the basics. Or a local state vocational school is another place to start.

Good luck.

Go to Lassen Gunsmith program's site and look up the tool lists for the summer NRA classes. They are class specific but have a lot of general overlap.
Then take some of the summer classes. Tuition is low so even with the flight and rental car it's a deal. (Stay in a cheap hotel. I'll be in the next room).

Take some professional class training. Without a basis, "Gunsmithing for Dummies" might wind up like the title "Explosives for Dummies". JMHO

OK, my turn. Buy any and evry book you can afford on both machining and gunsmithing. Study them, live them, know them. Buy a lathe (pick your flavor) and start making chips. Buy old wore out guns for pennies on the dollar at gun shows, your old stock, etc. Take and old rifle that is wore out, dismantle it, rethread it, rechamber it over and over until you are down to an non workable piece. Think you got it? Do it again on another old wore gun.......Then you will see what mistakes you made, learned from them and on your way.

Lots of real good responses. Really appreciate it. I suppose the best place to start would be reading and maybe cheating a little bit and watching some DVD's so I can see it done.

Lw