• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith in Treasure Valley?

idahoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Idaho
Anybody know any good gunsmiths in the valley? I dont know anyone that does more than put a recoil pad on or zero a scope.

Thanks guys.

Re: Gunsmith in Treasure Valley?

I'm pretty sure George Vais is still in Boise. Good smith too. If not, go onto reedercustomguns.com and ask John Taffin. He hangs out there and can point you in the right direction. Stay away from the smith that works out of Mountain Home on Sunset blvd.

George Vais is retiring and as far as I know is not taking anymore work at this time . His shop is located on the corner of Franklin and Cole in the business park if you want to look him up to see if he can do what you need his shop is called High Tech Gunworks .

Other than that Boise is pretty dry unless you know someone who has a lathe and dabbles in the dark arts . I have had numerous gun plumbers in the valley jack up some pretty simple jobs and will not use any of them for any job period !

I don't know if US Handgunner on the site is taking work yet but I had him build a rifle for me while he was going to school that turned out beautifully . You will however have to become comfortable with shipping your rifle out of state .

Gun Smith
Jim Combe
Elite Rifle Works LLP
(208) 465-8039
4293 E Franklin Rd
Nampa, ID
He use to build rifles for Intermountain Arms, before going out on his own. I have used him in the past.

I am glad you have had good luck with Jim and Elite Rifle Works Shane . I wouldn't let him or anyone else at his shop load my magazines let alone actually do any kind of work on my weapons .

I think Jim is a nice enough guy but the 2 bedding jobs he did for me came out looking like hammered dog shit and he managed to screw my Para-Ordnance up so bad when he was the in house smith at Intermountain Otdoor Sports that I had to replace the barrel .

Thats just been my experience though .

Thanks for the input guys. I dont currently have any burning plans to finish this semester, just trying to see if there is anybody remotely close. I dont really have a problem sending a gun to GAP, LA, SSS, etc; I just cant believe there isnt a good well known smith out here somewhere with all the hunters and gun nuts we have.