• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith project Action/Barrel Jig *pics*

C Snyder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
OK
Well if I wouldnt have been too lazy I would have taken pics of the Jig being build, so the first rifle built in this jig will have to do.

nwzksi.jpg

Built this fixture to set up any barrel or action I can think of. First rifle will be a Ruger 77 MkII I know some of you have a hard time saying RRRuuggger But it is a customers gun.

The main reason for this jig is odd shaped actions like the ruger with the cast trigger that hangs off the action. I built it to mount directly to the D1-6 cam like any other chuck. My Lathe is too deep to put a spider on the back unless I was only doing 26" barrels. It is a Sharp 1560S

8" of depth and 3 1/2" dia capacity

i2m5xw.jpg

Here is the Ruger Long action with bar and bushings installed Will be a 300 Win Mag when done.

nzptg2.jpg

Here is the action mounted in the fixture.

2yluxq0.jpg

One showing capacity with the trigger clearance.

Next up will be zeroing and blueprinting pics.

Re: Gunsmith project Action/Barrel Jig *pics*

i have plans to make a very similar direct d1-4 mount action truing jig. another neat thing about it is you an also do short barrel work with on the same way you would with a 4 jaw and spider through the head stock. i have the material for mine, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Dialed in and ready to go. This action is really pretty true. Once I get my mini boreing bar set up I dont think I will have to chase the threads. When I faced the action the cut was even on the full diameter. only took .001 to clean up.

11tndpc.jpg

set up ready to start dialing

14ec1nm.jpg

Dialed in dead nuts on.

n69lj7.jpg

Touched off and DRO set to 0.0000

142fns3.jpg

facing cut of 0.0010 to clean off face

6nsbi8.jpg

Faced off and ready to set up to do locking lugs tommorrow.

Very cool! I am wondering if the large holes and the machined flats have a purpose? Just windows to look in there?

Not trying to be negative, but those bolt heads sticking out so far scare me (I've had a couple crashes as a disclaimer). Be careful with those though. You might find that some shorter bolts would work for most purposes or even set screws. I guess with set screws though you will be stuck with a smaller wrench.

Yea the holes are more for windows to see where to set the screws and lighten the jig a little. (and it looks cool) I am going to build a guard for the bolts from a 5gal bucket to keep things (ie clothing and body parts) from catching. And yes I have also thought of building differnt length set screws so less bolt is hanging out.

I've switched over to a similar jig for doing actions. As a bonus as was mentioned earlier it does great for shorter barrels being set up similar to a 4 jaw and spider. Otherwise I'm limited to 24" barrels or longer in my lathe.