• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmith Recommendation?

Pogo57

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Redmond, Wa
Can anyone recommend a good 'smith in the Seattle area? Mainly interested in rifles but familiarity with military rifles would be great.

TIA

Re: Gunsmith Recommendation?

I can cut chambers and threads, weld, drill and tap, mill, etc, but when it is over my head, I take it to Randy Ketchum of Lynnwood Guns and ammo on Highway 99.

Sometimes he is too busy or the project sounds too boring, but if I can get him to do it, he is amazing. I put a British sniper trainer 308 bull barrel on a Tokarev pistol, and he welded the link lug and got perfect alignment. I blew up a semi auto 44 mag carbine, and he put a lever action Marlin 444 barrel on, drilled the gas hole, and it is very accurate. He welded up a Glock 22 40 S&W feed ramp for me, and I can now shot 44 mag max loadings in the 40 [15.5 gr 800X 200 gr] without a kaboom. He made an insert for me to shoot 22LR in a 12 gauge. He is the guy that figured out the escapement gas velocity relationship with gun noise amplitude.

I am interested in the engineering aspects of guns, and so Randy tells me of his experiments and inventions, and relates to me on my level.

But other customers come in there and he seems to be able to relate to novices, benchrest competitors, historical replica builders, 50BMG, 20mm, optics modification, car building, motorcycle building, etc.

I don't know that he is a fit for you, but he has a allot of capabilities and can shift gears for allot of customers with allot of types of gun interests.

Daniel Cowen in Renton is probably one of the better gunsmiths in Washington.

Travis of R-Bros Rifles is a member here, he goes by 7mmAM

Travis builds great rifles and shoots them just as well, he's a great guy and local to you. http://www.rbrosrifles.com

His site needs some work, but the contact info is there or just PM him here.

Travis R does do a great job, he uses a ranging rod and dial indicator when chambering and has built some incredibly accurate rifles. Benchmark in Arlington does a good job too plus they're a barrel maker...very reasonably priced and quick turn around time, awesome customer service.

I am looking for a gunsmith to install the JAGMAG conversion kit into my Mod 700. Does anyone know of an excellent gunsmith to do this job in either the Las Vegas, NV or Kingman, AZ areas?

Any reports of problems with the JAGMAG I should know about before I have this done? I appreciate any help, advice or scorn offered!