• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith recommendations for drilling bolt catch roll pin hole?

inspcalahan

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
The Last Frontier
Years back, I bought a stripped lower from Axelson Tactical and stuffed it in the safe. Recently I went to build the rifle and found the left side (as facing it) bolt catch roll pin hole wasn't drilled all the way through. It's too precise of a drilling for me to attempt, so I'm looking for recommendations on gunsmiths that would complete the hole for me. There aren't any local that can do it, so it looks like I'll need to ship it out. There is a small indentation there like it was marked or almost drilled and then just not completed, although the pin mark looks off center as well.

I've tried contacting Axelson through their site and it won't let me, showing it's in test mode. I'm not sure if they're even in business anymore. When I bought the lower, it was part of a combo package with some swag and an eventual book written by Matthew Axelson's brother that never came through. Every couple years I'd contact the company and inquire, with the last conversation going something like "yeah, that didn't happen...sorry".
IMG_5380.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

Reactions: Mount87
If you look closely is it threaded? Kinda looks like it from your pic.
Perhaps uses the threaded pin that some AR-10's use, or if super kludgy a long set screw only.

How much of the front ear was drilled from the center and can you take a picture of it? 3/32" x 6" is the drill you would need , they're common and cheap. It might not take much and that drill is good to have just to gauge and clean the bolt catch holes.

Insure the hole isn’t threaded for a screw pin.

Reactions: rpoL98
From Axlesonusa.com

"The bolt catch pin hole has been threaded for a 6-32 dog leg screw."

Thanks for finding that! I didn't search their current products since this one is old and not available anymore.

Also thanks to everyone who enlightened me about the threaded screw for this - In all my years of tinkering on AR's, each and every one I've ever owned (mostly Colt, Noveske and Scionics), it's always been a roll pin and I've never seen a screw in that spot. Now I need to go find the screw and get back to building.

Now I need to go find the screw and get back to building.

Had a very good job done on a 700 by shaenrifles.com. I packed well and shipped via ups with no issues.
There is no reason to try to get your post count raised in order to use the classifieds. You have to be a paying member to post there.

• Haha
Reactions: nightman89