• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Gunsmith scored frame bad, repercussions?

Scottso

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 23, 2006
Long Island, NY
Have a Les Baer in hard chrome, last 10 years been my pride and joy. Right wrist has some issues so wanted an ambi safety installed. Ordered from Baer, had them hard chrome it so everything matches. Dropped off at shop last week. Says $75-100 depending on work. Yesterday pick it up, can’t get it to engage and disengage without major effort. Says it need break in!! Told him no, too damned tight, says leave it. An hour later says come get it, seems a little better, ok. Get home and start manipulating safety, its good a few times, them just not. Look at frame and notice scratches appearing, below bottom of the left side safety. Stop, break it down to find this damned mess! Like someone took a Dremel to frame, also in front of plunger for safety, again all galled up, what tools did they use?
Was going to try and polish out with red rouge, friend says don’t touch it, bring it back, frame needs to be refinished. I know there’s gonna be a fight. He’ll try to blame me, not looking forward to it, but not gonna let him walk away either.
How to handle, because right now I’m livid. Thanks for letting me rant

Attachments

• 40FBCEF0-FA8D-4B3E-B0E3-C2EF57EDC614.jpeg
    40FBCEF0-FA8D-4B3E-B0E3-C2EF57EDC614.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 422
  • ADAF4A25-30BC-440A-A7C2-42283F531420.jpeg
    ADAF4A25-30BC-440A-A7C2-42283F531420.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 420
Sounds like he is trying to make it right but I wouldn’t ever call him a “smith”.
Fixed it
he really didn't have a choice, no eye contact, just asked what I wanted done, said have Baer fix finish, rechrome what have you, and they install safety. We shall see next week when they get it, not my bill

This is a perfect example of why you don’t take shit to a local gunsmith unless you just happen to live near a world class one. Anybody who can legally possess a firearm can get an FFL and call themselves a gunsmith, doesn’t mean they have a fucking clue what they’re doing. They think deciding to fill out the paperwork and write the ATF a check for a small fee qualifies them as experts, just like all the idiots at a gun counter think they’re experts.

Wow, I'm no smith and have installed several 1911 safeties of the years and never caused any damage! I suspect you person you took it too isn't a smith either,,,,,,😮

Attended to by Apprentice gunsmith. Master gunsmith was on vacation.

Sear pin is too short, both sear and hammer pins should stand proud of frame, the thumb safety should sit on the pins and not contact the frame when engaged and disengaged

Reactions: Scottso
I could speculate that he's never done one before, but even if he hadn't, I can't quite figure out what he could have been doing to accomplish that? Did he grind down the back of the plunger tube?

Baer's can be fussy pains to work of because the specs are off in many areas, but... huh?

I ended up with a new Manners T-4 in Gap camo after it was butchered by a so called smith and original owner was just going to throw it in the trash he was so disgusted.
After digging out the what looked like elmers glue bedding and redoing with Devcon 10/110 its been a gem.
I did however help trash the clown repeatedly online as payment.

• Haha
I had a local smith that I spoke to about fitting a threaded barrel on my S&W E series which is basically a safe queen that I shoot occasionally. He said I needed to supply or pay for 100 rnds of ammo for testing during the fitting process. That seemed like a lot to me, so I nixed the idea.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
I had a local smith that I spoke to about fitting a threaded barrel on my S&W E series which is basically a safe queen that I shoot occasionally. He said I needed to supply or pay for 100 rnds of ammo for testing during the fitting process. That seemed like a lot to me, so I nixed the idea.
In lieu of payment? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Holliday
In lieu of payment? lol
Well being mostly a Glock guy, quite frankly I didn’t have a clue. I know 1911s are a different beast and can be finicky but I just thought 100 rounds was over the top. If he had said 50 I could have bought that. The gun doesn’t have 300 lifetime rounds on it in 10 years.

Your mechanic says he needs to put 500 miles on your low miles car to make sure the front end alignment, tires and shocks are installed correctly. A low iq person worries about the cost of the gas……..

A person with a reasonable IQ, questions the mechanic’s competency….

The latter was my concern.